Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XCFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    318

    Stan's Clogging Valve cores

    This is becoming a very common and very annoying issue on my mountain bikes. I run tubeless with Stan's and it works great, but after a few months my valve cores become sized-up with Stans and unable to take -in air quickly, or at all, and in my last case, the valve core itself became so clogged, it would not take-in any air, so I went to unscrew it from the rim, and couldn't even do that -- the Stan's had apparently sized the threads. I needed up having to hacksaw the valve core in half to get it out of the rim.

    Any solution to this?
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly
    Giant Anthem
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Cervelo R3
    www.fasterthansome.blogspot.com

  2. #2
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,775
    Quote Originally Posted by XCFred
    This is becoming a very common and very annoying issue on my mountain bikes. I run tubeless with Stan's and it works great, but after a few months my valve cores become sized-up with Stans and unable to take -in air quickly, or at all, and in my last case, the valve core itself became so clogged, it would not take-in any air, so I went to unscrew it from the rim, and couldn't even do that -- the Stan's had apparently sized the threads. I needed up having to hacksaw the valve core in half to get it out of the rim.

    Any solution to this?
    why on earth would you have to saw a presta valve core in half to remove it from a rim?!?
    when i remove the cores to add sealant i just pull of any gummed up latex on them before putting them back in. no issues.
    replacement cores are $2
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  3. #3
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    You should probably use tubes if a hacksaw is your solution...


    Seriously, the only way Stans would prevent your valve stem from being removed is if it was leaking on the OUTSIDE of the stem. And even then any corrosion it might cause could be alleviated by a drop of penetrating oil at the valve stem nut.

  4. #4
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,775
    Quote Originally Posted by XCFreb
    so I went to unscrew it from the rim
    wait a minute... your valve cores are screwed into your rim?
    somethin' ain't right...
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,194
    I think the OP means that he uses valve cores that have a threaded post and attached the threaded ring on the outside..Right?
    Solution: Use a little grease next time you screw down the threaded ring. The grease will displace any latex and not let any get on/under the threads. Next time it gets stuck, try a little vinegar around the outside and either channel locks or vise grips to free it.

  6. #6
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii
    I think the OP means that he uses valve cores that have a threaded post and attached the threaded ring on the outside..Right?
    Solution: Use a little grease next time you screw down the threaded ring. The grease will displace any latex and not let any get on/under the threads. Next time it gets stuck, try a little vinegar around the outside and either channel locks or vise grips to free it.
    That is the valve stem, not the valve core.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XCFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    That is the valve stem, not the valve core.
    Yeah OK, the valve stem then. -- my bad. What is the valve core?

    I had to remove it from the rim because it was useless; it was so seized by the Stan's that air wouldn't go in at all. The damn thing WOULD NOT unscrew from the rim, even after trying to use an adjustable wrench on it. Not sure if it makes a big difference, but this was a Mavic valvestem. The Bontragers I'm using seem to have a better area to get a grip to tighten/loosten, although they are also having the issue with clogging.

    I'll definitely be sure to put a dab of oil on them in the future to prevent the valve stem from seizing on the rim, but not sure how to prevent the valve from becoming clogged again.
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly
    Giant Anthem
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Cervelo R3
    www.fasterthansome.blogspot.com

  8. #8
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,719
    Quote Originally Posted by XCFred
    Yeah OK, the valve stem then. -- my bad. What is the valve core?

    I had to remove it from the rim because it was useless; it was so seized by the Stan's that air wouldn't go in at all. The damn thing WOULD NOT unscrew from the rim, even after trying to use an adjustable wrench on it. Not sure if it makes a big difference, but this was a Mavic valvestem. The Bontragers I'm using seem to have a better area to get a grip to tighten/loosten, although they are also having the issue with clogging.

    I'll definitely be sure to put a dab of oil on them in the future to prevent the valve stem from seizing on the rim, but not sure how to prevent the valve from becoming clogged again.
    The valve core (the movable part inside the valve stem) did cog. It is also removable (for both the Mavic and Bonty valves) and can be cleaned as MF has mentioned. The Mavic and Bonty valves are not interchangeable with other than their own rims.

    The nut that holds the valve stems to the rims is round. An adjustable wrench is not going to grip it at all. If you were trying to remove the valve stem using the flats near the end of the valve that will not work. Those are on the valve core (and both Mavic and Bonty supply a small plastic wrench to remove the core) and used to remove the core. Will not loosen the valve stem to remove it.

    I have no idea how you cut the stem to remove it if you could not loosen the nut that was tight against the rim.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XCFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    318
    Ah hah! I did not know you could remove just the core...that would've been nice to know!

    I will have to get that tool so I can pull out the core on my Bonti wheel and try to de-clog it.
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly
    Giant Anthem
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Cervelo R3
    www.fasterthansome.blogspot.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •