mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Stans Arch EX what tyres!

I've been running Maxxis Icon Exo 2.2 on my 29er Arch Ex wheels since new. Yesterday I tried to replace one with a new Specialized Storm Control 2.0.
    The first bead was a bit tight but I just couldn't stretch second on to the rim either with or without the tube in. I took my wheel and new tyre back to the shop. The first assisstant tried and also failed. We then tried a Ground Control 2.1 with the same result. The other assistant said he thought he'd be able to get if on as he was stronger than is colleague. I said that I would have to do it on the trail so if two of us couldn't do it then I'd prefer a refund - which is what I got. Before you say that I don't know how to mount a tyre, I should say that I'm very used to taking tyres on and off rims or myself and others..

Okay - What are your experiences with Arch EX rims? What tyres are easy to put on the EX rims. I' am guessing that the EX's are a little tighter than the standard Arch, but I am surprised at just how tight the Spesh 29er tyres were.

I'm a back with the Icons for now but I need some reccommendations of good all-round tyres that I can mount of the Arch EX rim without killing myself.

mtbr member
    I agree with you that the Ikons are a super easy fit with your hands and maybe a single plastic tire lever. I've struggled with my 29er ArchEx rims also with different tires and will use some soapy warm water and/or Fantastik sprayed on the tire bead. That will usually soften up the bead enough to slide it with a couple tire levers.

And when the tire carcass is cold they seem to be stubborn and have snapped a few tire levers and bashed a few knuckles - inside at room temp for both tire & rim will help. My go to racing tires are the Ikons but now have switched to winter tires - 2.35 panaracer rampage or 2.1 maxxis ignitor for the front and 2.2 geax saguaro on the back.
    my yeti is smarter than your honor student !

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've got Schwalbe Racing Ralph and Nobby Nics, both TLR Snakeskin versions, on 26" Arch EXs. I've also got some Kendas on on Crests on another bike. I mount them tubed on non-BST wheelset and leave them under pressure at least overnight to pre-stretch them. Then mount them using soapy water. Many tires will be tight on those rims so pre-stretching them definitely helps.

mtbr member
    Ground Control is a 2Bliss tire, it uses UST spec beads that are thicker and stronger than a standard non-tubeless tire bead. Since Stans changed their bead design with the Crest and EX line of rims, tubeless ready tires that use a UST bead spec are very difficult to run on the larger inner diameter Stans rims. I personally was a fan of the first generation Stans rims (355, Arch, Flow) but have since moved on to the WTB TCS rims for this exact reason. I like to use tubeless ready tires and they simply do not play nice with the second generation rims.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

Wyoming mtn. Biker
    Dec 2008
    I have been running Geax Saguaro folding bead on my 26" Arch Ex rims. They mount easily with no tools. Maybe you would have similar luck with your 29" wheels. It is a shame that Stan's doesn't have a more comprehensive list of compatible tires listed on their web-stite.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks guys - your replies have been very useful. The pre-stretching on a dfferent rim idea is good but it seems like the tyre/rim manufactures shoud not be forcing the average customer to go to those extreme lengths lengths simply to put one of their tyres on one of the most popular rims..
    I guess it's maxxis and geax for me.

PS. Yetimeister - any special reason for the different tyres front and rear?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea@Dimbola View Post
    The pre-stretching on a dfferent rim idea is good but it seems like the tyre/rim manufactures shoud not be forcing the average customer to go to those extreme lengths lengths simply to put one of their tyres on one of the most popular rims..
    I guess it's maxxis and geax for me.
    This on is all on Stans, it's their rims that are out of spec, not the tires. And with Geax make sure it's their non-tubeless because their TNT tires will not fit on Stans rims.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    PS. Yetimeister - any special reason for the different tyres front and rear?

My typical conditions are sharp rocks, roots, sloppy mud, fast rocky descents, and lots of technical sections -- so I need a durable and versatile tire both for training and race conditions. Love the maxxis tires - the ikons are a lightweight, fast racing tire that works well in mud and dry, and also really love the ignitors too. Also, love the panaracer rampage for its bite, durability, and great roll in the 29er and 26er x2.35 versions. And have the 650b pacenti (panaracers) neo-motos which are same as the rampage tread and compound - these are outstanding tires in the 650b size both 2.1 and 2.3.

My 29er Anthem came stock with the schwalbe RaRas - and frankly, I could not strip them off the bike fast enough ! - simply do not have a strong casing for conditions I ride and race on plus they wear extremely fast.

The geax saguaros 29x2.2 were given to me by a friend that did not like them for racing. He ran them tubeless, felt they were squirmy, and burped air under race conditions - he switched to the maxxis ikons. The saguaros have really good reviews as 29ers so I gave them a shot, and they are amazingly fast, durable, and love the rocky conditions here so far. Good for training but have not proven themselves for xc racing yet - IMHO maxxis tires seem to work well for my conditions.
    my yeti is smarter than your honor student !

mtbr member
    Kind of an old thread but I have had good luck with racing Ralph's on my 29 Ex's. they do have thin sidewalls and I have only cut one in a year of riding them. Next batch will be snakeskins. They go on by hand and bead up with a floor pump or co2. Up until today they were problem free. Blew one off the rim on a fast descent. Thankfully I had a slower rider in front of me. Sounded like a gun shot. Remounted and co2'd it back up only to watch the bead start to slip and blow off again. Tire is probably 1.5 years old. Thinks its schwalbes original RR evo casting. Some people say they wear fast. I think they wear great. I've heard of schwalbes and Stan's wheels not mixing well but also heard that was first gens of both that didn't mix well. I do have to say that at 26r and 22f psi I feel like I have endless grip and that they are a predictable tire. I just don't want to go with a heavier tire. My friends ride ardents and they are crazy heavy compared to RR's IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yes one shop that I trust told me that - as stans have made their rim/bead design much tighter, Schable made their tyres a tighter fit and that the combination has produced difficutlty for some customers.
    I've bought some of the original Arch 29er rims online and am waiting for them to arrive so I can have my wheels re-built. I want to be able to fix punctures and re-fit tyres on the trail.