King of Middle Earth

Stan's 3.30 Hubs: Alternative Freewheel Option?

Does anything else fit a Stan's hub? I'm not crazy about the stock freewheel. I do have a spare DT 240 rear hub laying around. Will the internals of that hub fit the Stan's 3.30?

Suggestions?

Thanks!
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Does anything else fit a Stan's hub? I'm not crazy about the stock freewheel. I do have a spare DT 240 rear hub laying around. Will the internals of that hub fit the Stan's 3.30?

Suggestions?

Thanks!
    No freewheel fits. They are cassette freehubs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Former Bike Wrench
    DT uses an entirely different system than the Stans hubs, the freehub bodies are not cross compatible.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I do have a spare DT 240 rear hub laying around. Will the internals of that hub fit the Stan's 3.30?
    Not even the same type of drive system.

What don't you like about the stans freehub ?

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Not even the same type of drive system.

What don't you like about the stans freehub ?
    1) It's the noisiest thing I've ever heard. Scared many people as I approached them from behind even after ringing my bell repeatedly. Sounds like an angry rattlesnake.

2) I believe the higher gears on the cassette are spinning on the freewheel body. When I hammer super, super hard (like to get out of the way of an approaching car at an intersection, I get a GNARLY clunk and feel the the drive train slip. The cassette is cranked on tightly, too.

3) Could also be the internals slipping. In an matter, it feels like the rear end exploded when this happens.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

Former Bike Wrench
    1. Service the pawls with a light grease and it will get a bit quieter, it's not near as loud as a Hope

2. You are using the correct cassette right?, one that uses an alloy carrier on the lowest 5 or 6 gears.

3. See #1, service the pawls...make sure everything is working correctly and is lubricated.

http://www.notubes.com/literature/Hu...anual-2011.pdf

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006

2) I believe the higher gears on the cassette are spinning on the freewheel body. When I hammer super, super hard (like to get out of the way of an approaching car at an intersection, I get a GNARLY clunk and feel the the drive train slip. The cassette is cranked on tightly, too.
    3) Could also be the internals slipping. In an matter, it feels like the rear end exploded when this happens
    Common problem with those hubs. It's because the axle is flexy. Changing the freehub won't fix that.

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    1. Service the pawls with a light grease and it will get a bit quieter, it's not near as loud as a Hope

2. You are using the correct cassette right?, one that uses an alloy carrier on the lowest 5 or 6 gears.

3. See #1, service the pawls...make sure everything is working correctly and is lubricated.

http://www.notubes.com/literature/Hu...anual-2011.pdf
    Using an XTR M970 11-32 cassette on this hub.

When I have time (yeah right, I never have any extra time), I will regrease the pawls.

Thanks.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

Former Bike Wrench
    Using an XTR M970 11-32 cassette on this hub.

When I have time (yeah right, I never have any extra time), I will regrease the pawls.

Thanks.
    It is quick and easy...maybe ten minutes if your sipping on a beer at the same time. Also check how smooth the bearings are in the freehub body, the OEM ones are kinda cheap and replacing them with good quality bearings seems to help things out.

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    It is quick and easy...maybe ten minutes if your sipping on a beer at the same time. Also check how smooth the bearings are in the freehub body, the OEM ones are kinda cheap and replacing them with good quality bearings seems to help things out.
    Thanks for your help!

Can you suggest some good replacement bearings?
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

Former Bike Wrench
    Thanks for your help!

Can you suggest some good replacement bearings?
    I get mine from VXB.com

6902 x 2 for freehub
    6802 x 2 for hub body

I got the stainless steel models but there are lots of options

mtbr member
    If they sound different than they did when you first got them I would service them right away. I got halfway through a ride one time and my 3.30 started making a different tone and shortly thereafter the hub blew up on me. One of the pawls broke off and rattled around inside and did major carnage to the hub. I'm not running Stan's hubs after that. The moral of the story is if its noisy now, it may be telling you it's ready to quit. But it sounds like you probably already suspected that...

mtbr member
    My stans rear hub bearings wore out in 4 months of riding, tried tightening it and no hope. So im repairing it, I also got some new wheels to ride for other occasions
    Pivot mach 6!

vermonter
    it looks like the Hope freewheel will fit on a stan's 3.30 hub? does anyone know if this will work?
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    Your worst day fat biking in snow is still better than riding a trainer in the basement

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by reynoldseight5three View Post
    it looks like the Hope freewheel will fit on a stan's 3.30 hub? does anyone know if this will work?
    Doubt it. They may look similar in a photo but there's at least 5 dimensions that have to match perfectly, maybe more.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    As stated above, no freewheel will fit. I assume you mean a freehub, not a freewheel.

mtbr member
    Just a quick video showing the different designs of hubs. Even within the same type of design, dimensions of many aspects are different.

More Mountain Biking Videos

vermonter
    I emailed Stan's and they agreed that a hope freehub will not work. I complained about the softness of the aluminum freeHUB and they said " we are working on it".
    My bearings have also developed some play and I am needing to replace the spokes as they keep breaking and wheel out of true.
    NOT A HAPPY STANS CUSTOMER
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    Your worst day fat biking in snow is still better than riding a trainer in the basement

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

the Aluminum is soft this is 2 months old even tore out the wings in the hub

I sent info into Stan's a week ago still waiting to hear back. The Sram cogs tore up the hub where it is very hard to get them on and off and i tore out the wings in the free wheel. Kinda bummed i spent the money on this wheel set in August.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stan's 3.30 Hubs: Alternative Freewheel Option?-20131127_064056.jpg