mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Stans 26" rim strip in 29er rim?

Have a pair of new 26" Stans rim strips(the ones with the valves built in) from a previous wheelset. Was wondering if anyone had tried using a 26" rim strip on a 29er rim and how it worked out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundragon View Post
    Have a pair of new 26" Stans rim strips(the ones with the valves built in) from a previous wheelset. Was wondering if anyone had tried using a 26" rim strip on a 29er rim and how it worked out.
    When I bought my first 29er, stans actually recommended this for my rims(older american classics) so I did it. It worked pretty good. The valve stem area was a little compromised for fit, but it mostly worked, it would take a little longer to seal around the valve some times.

It really depends on whether your rims strips are the right width for the rims you are putting them on-you have to factor in that they get narrower as they stretch to 29".

Former Bike Wrench
    What model rim strip on what make and model rim?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    As Gilarider noted, it can work. However for the rim strips to work properly the strip has to be wide enough to cover from bead hook to bead hook across the rim. This not only makes for a better seal, but also tightens to tolerance between the bead hook and the spoke bed to more securely hold the tire bead. Again, as noted, the strip will stretch far enough no problem, but as it stretches it will also get narrower. You can try it, but after install, carefully inspect the strip. If the edges of the strip don't reach all the way across the spoke bed and sit under the bead hook of the rim, then pass on them and get a set of 29" strips.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Well, since nobody said it wouldnt flat out work I gave it a try last night and the strip just ended up to narrow from the stretch to fit well between the bead's. Oh well!

The rims were some OEM Maddux on a Cannondale
    Thanks all.