mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Standard Nevegal to UST Nobby NIC

I just switched to take advantage of my CrossMax ST rims, both the Nevegals and Nobby Nics are 2.1's but when when all is said and done, I did not lose any weight with the conversion. I'm hoping the rolling resistance is better with the Nobby Nics and at the same time the NN's have enough traction...any thoughts on this? Guess I can try to run them at 25 to 30 PSI.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I did that same exact switch, Nevegals to UST Nobby Nics. I hope it works out for you but I was very unhappy with the change and have put my half worn Nevegals back on while I figure out what my next tires will be.

For me the Nobby Nic's felt extremely slow, they grip like crazy but I couldn't get over how slow they felt, I pulled them and will now move to anther tire, that's why I'm looking at this board right now.

I did my standard loop last night and my could not believe how much faster the Nevegals felt.

I went from 2.1 Nevegals to 2.25 NNs

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I tried them for the first time last night around the neighborhood in a couple "farmer" fields but am still not sure, on the roads to the field I noticed the rear tire "sounded" like it was very rough, I am delighted the all UST setup holds air tight ( I tried the non-UST Nevegals without success). I'll stick with this setup for a while and see how they do on single track in Mid-Atlantic area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by frints
    I did that same exact switch, Nevegals to UST Nobby Nics. I hope it works out for you but I was very unhappy with the change and have put my half worn Nevegals back on while I figure out what my next tires will be.

For me the Nobby Nic's felt extremely slow, they grip like crazy but I couldn't get over how slow they felt, I pulled them and will now move to anther tire, that's why I'm looking at this board right now.

I did my standard loop last night and my could not believe how much faster the Nevegals felt.

**Keep in mind, the 2.25 NN UST is a few ounces heavier then the 2.1 Nevegal ( non-UST)

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

No Ni shouldn't be slower than a Nevegal.Is it a UST thing.Have you tried any other UST tires. They will feel different because of the sidewall. Maybe lower the pressure more.Don't mistake the feeling of running lower pressure and tread noise on the hard pack as lower speed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HikerToo
    **Keep in mind, the 2.25 NN UST is a few ounces heavier then the 2.1 Nevegal ( non-UST)
    Not when you add back in the tube, I weighed a NN 2.25 and the Nevegal 2.1 with tube and the Nevegal 2.1 with tube was slightly heaver.

With regards to perceived difference, all I have is my perception no data to back it up..I run the same loop, about 45 minutes with a huge climb and a mix of single track the rest of the way, and I can climb faster on the Nevegals and definitely run the loop much quicker on the Nevegals.

This is my first experience on UST tires.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz
    No Ni shouldn't be slower than a Nevegal.
    Having ridden both, I find this to be the truth. There is a reason that the Nev is referred to as a slow tire. The NN lacks the traction that the Nev offers, but has better rolling properties.

In the end, the Nev is a slightly better tire for my conditions, but I really don't like it and am currently on a big betty and fat albert (f/r, respectively).

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Not when you add back in the tube, I weighed a NN 2.25 and the Nevegal 2.1 with tube and the Nevegal 2.1 with tube was slightly heaver.

With regards to perceived difference, all I have is my perception no data to back it up..I run the same loop, about 45 minutes with a huge climb and a mix of single track the rest of the way, and I can climb faster on the Nevegals and definitely run the loop much quicker on the Nevegals.

This is my first experience on UST tires.
    It may be worth trying lower pressure?.I run std No Ni 2.25 on the front at 22psi for optimum corner grip on that tire. For my weight[170lbs] I should be able to run about 18psi if I was using UST. i don't run one one the rear so don't know best pressure for traction/speed. I suspect i would run 25 psi std and 20 psi UST.
    If your running loose conditions than Nevegal may well be faster over a short loop.