nimble biker

Is Stan sealant necessary for tubeless tires?

Do all current generation of tubeless tires need sealant?

My old Specialized ground control tires don't have sealant at all. I don't care if I get a flat. I just walk back to the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    1) No

2) No

That doesn't mean it's not necessary; UST tires do not need sealant on UST/Tubeless Ready rims. Any other tire type (2Bliss/TLR/etc) will require sealent.

mtbr member
    What if you're 10 miles from the parking lot?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    On some of my rides I can end up 20-40 miles away from my car...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Put another way, why wouldn't you use sealant?

My 2Bliss Ground Controls held air for 24 hours without sealant sitting in the garage. That said, I have enough pin prick holes on one of my tires, that I wouldn't ride trails without sealant.

This is what my tires look like with 500 miles on the trails. All those wet spots are where Stans filled a hole.

mtbr member
    Yesterday I ran over some thorns up at Growlers Gulch so I had a slow leak out of my UST rear tire because my sealant had dried up. Luckily for me, I was done with my ride and near the truck - lucked out HUGE TIME. No way no how do I ride without sealant in my UST tires; you don't need as much but at least one scoop! Plus they hold air even better with the sealant and don't burp as much because the sealant glues the bead to the rim.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

dwt
    mtbr member

As with the others, I use sealant no matter what. But not Stan's. Stan's is the industry standard for latex based sealants, but certainly not the only game in town and not necessarily the best. All commercial sealants are expensive, so many MTBR regulars, particulary those with miltiple bikes snd wheels, use variations of the homebrew recipes you can find by searching the Wheels and Tires or the 29'er forums.

Non UST tires need a coating of latex sealant to hold air and to seat on the rim. Latex sealants tend to be slow coagulating and sealing punctures, however (there are exceptions; I hear Orange Seal is awesome). This is where auto sealants such as slime come into the picture. Generally speaking, auto sealants do not contain latex and are not a substitute for latex. But they can be and are used as supplements to address the flat problem AFAIK, regular Slime is cheaper than most latex based sealants, such as its cousin, Slime Pro. But then, if you have to use two sealants to seal your tire and plug punctures, then you are spending too much. My Homebrew does include regular Slime, but my MTBR latex mixture is WAY cheaper than any commercial sealant. So over all homebrew is quite inexpensive, though requires labor to prepare.

If I were to go commercial and use one brand, it would be Orange Seal or Slime Pro. Haven't used either personally.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.