mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Stanís Wide Right vs Maxxis WT

According to Stanís wide right equation Stanís MK3 flow rims with 29 mm inner width would fit tyres from 2.35 to 2.8. Now Maxxis is saying their WT tyres works optimally on rims with 30mm to 35mm. Anything below 30 mm is not recommended for Maxxis WT tyres. Now I am wondering if 2.4 to 2.8 WT tyres would work on Stanís MK3 flow optimally even though they are 29mm , since they are made with Wide Right design specifically.

Any idea ?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Maxxis likes to exaggerate the size of their tires, although the newer casings are a bit closer to true size. 2.5" and 2.6" works great and is a proper fit on the 29mm ID rims. 2.8" is where you might start to see some negative characteristics on a 29mm ID if you really hammer turns or like to run lower pressures. I currently ride the 2.5" WT on MK3's and they are perfect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks
    I am thinking of getting MK3 flow wheels to run 2.6 Maxxis WT if my bike frame allows it. I appreciate your share.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    All the maxxis WT designation does is move the tread outward to give a more rounded profile on wider rims. It doesn't give any benefit of higher volume like a 2.6 or 2.8 tyre. To me that makes it a gimmick ad other brands like Schwalbe and WTB already have higher volume tyres than Maxxis with wider, rounded profiles in the tread. I run 2.8 Schwalbe on the front on 30mm internal rims which are bigger than Maxxis 2.8 and 2.5 WTB Breakout on the rear which is about Maxxis 2.6 size and hardly ever have any tyre squirm I'm also over 200lb and race enduro with this setup.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    All the maxxis WT designation does is move the tread outward to give a more rounded profile on wider rims. It doesn't give any benefit of higher volume like a 2.6 or 2.8 tyre. To me that makes it a gimmick ad other brands like Schwalbe and WTB already have higher volume tyres than Maxxis with wider, rounded profiles in the tread. I run 2.8 Schwalbe on the front on 30mm internal rims which are bigger than Maxxis 2.8 and 2.5 WTB Breakout on the rear which is about Maxxis 2.6 size and hardly ever have any tyre squirm I'm also over 200lb and race enduro with this setup.
    Thanks
    I appreciate it.
    What is the best way to measure the rear of my frame to see how wide of a tyre I can fit ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Going from a 30 to 35 mm rim you will get about a 5% volume increase. I've been making CAD drawings to estimate this stuff. There is hardly any dimensional difference in the tire between the two rim widths. The marketing images by Stans and Maxxis are deceiving in my opinion because I can't see how a tire can make a distorted shape like a lightbulb or an oval when inflated. It will be round regardless of the rim width. I'm running a 29x2.5 DHF and 29x2.4 DHR on i29 rims fine, but when I buy new wheels I'll get i35 because of the wider support and slightly higher volume.
    2016 Fuse Pro 29/6Fattie
    2017 Stumpjumper Comp 29/6Fattie

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks
    I appreciate it.

I want to buy a new wheel set.
    I am considering MK3 flow but is open to anything.
    What is the best way to measure the rear of my frame to see how wide of a tyre I can fit ?
    I currently have a Maxxis 2.2 tyre. My bike is a 2015 Model Scott Scale 770.

I am trying to figure out if I could run a 30-35 mm rim with a 2.6 tyre.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rency View Post

I am trying to figure out if I could run a 30-35 mm rim with a 2.6 tyre.
    A device that measures length like a ruler is the recommended method, measure required width where the tire is passing through the frame (aka "common sense measurement method")

Tire width grows by half of additional rim width, e.g. going from 30mm to 35mm rim makes the tire +5/2 wider (proven fact, regardless of what the "CAD guy" above is saying...)

I have the same Nobby Nic 2.6 on both 30 and 35mm rims, it's 62 and 65mm wide respectively

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    A device that measures length like a ruler is the recommended method, measure required width where the tire is passing through the frame (aka "common sense measurement method")

Tire width grows by half of additional rim width, e.g. going from 30mm to 35mm rim makes the tire +5/2 wider (proven fact, regardless of what the "CAD guy" above is saying...)

I have the same Nobby Nic 2.6 on both 30 and 35mm rims, it's 62 and 65mm wide respectively
    The OP was asking about Maxxis WT tires that have cornering lugs that stick out much wider than the sidewalls unlike un-Nobby Nics. The width of the tread really doesn't change much but just rounds over a little more or less. Do what you want. I was just trying to help.
    2016 Fuse Pro 29/6Fattie
    2017 Stumpjumper Comp 29/6Fattie

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post

Agree with this on the 2.5 WT.

Also if Maxxis is saying i30 is ok, then i29 should not be an issue, even if this wasn't all BS. 1mm is not something to worry about.

I've got i26 rims that I plan on putting the WT tires on and I'm betting they will be just fine.

2.6" tires may not have enough sidewall support to do as well on the relatively narrow rim. I run my 2.6" tires on i35 rims and they are great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am running the old flow ex 25.5 inner and a minion 2.5WT and have no issues. I do have the new minion 2.6 but have not mounted it yet

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Iíve run 2.4/2.5 Maxxis WT tires on 25.5mm and 30mm rims, same tires, same bike. The difference is noticeable but not large. Itís about as much change as a 1-2 psi difference in pressure, sure you can feel it but itís not gonna ruin a ride. The wider rims are better, tracking in hard turns is slightly more accurate, otherwise no big deal. I canít imagine 1mm would be perceptible..

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks for the inputs all of you.
    I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    I have an unorthodox solution on how to solve that "i29 dilemma":
    Use pliers to gently widen the rim by 1mm for full Maxxis WT compatability, problem solved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

2.6 minion - 650B pike

here you go bros! 2.6 minion in a regular 650B - mounted to a new Stan Flow S1! so nice!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hate to drag up an old thread... I'm in the same consideration....I29 with WT tires.... but I think the OP's original skepticism was Maxxis says they designed it ideally around a 35i rim...

i30 is as low as you want to go according to them.... now he's asking because he's outside the lowside parameter.... would you be negating the positive benefits of the WT by running it on the narrow end of the parameter.... granted 1mm from 30 to 29 makes no difference but you're still on the low end of the ideal....
    conversely... would running a standard 2.3 on a i29 be leaning to a more square profile...that loses some traction with extreme lean on flatter surfaces.....
    kind of wondering the same myself as I want to run some I29 s.... but according to Maxxis that's the bastard size rim that sits in the middle ....i am a dhf fanboy..... I guess the question is how much cornering traction will you lose being on the narrow end.
    probably more of a question for somebody who's run them on i35 and i29 rather than somebody who's never run them on 35s that wouldn't know the advantages if there really is...

The next question is who's right Stan's or Maxxis? Stans obviously has their opinion which is a bit contradictory... Anyone super fast at dh on their strava wanna chime in?

Is dang happy!
    Unless you are a flyweight running 15psi the difference between a 25mm and 30mm rim is going to hard to quantify. (Low pressure will make the tire squirm a bit more on the narrow rim).

I was surprised that the contact patch did not grow much going from an old Flow to ne 35mm id rim. (These tires use the same casing)
    35 mm is on the left.

-img_20170426_092437.jpg
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    Hate to drag up an old thread... I'm in the same consideration....I29 with WT tires.... but I think the OP's original skepticism was Maxxis says they designed it ideally around a 35i rim...

i30 is as low as you want to go according to them.... now he's asking because he's outside the lowside parameter.... would you be negating the positive benefits of the WT by running it on the narrow end of the parameter.... granted 1mm from 30 to 29 makes no difference but you're still on the low end of the ideal....
    conversely... would running a standard 2.3 on a i29 be leaning to a more square profile...that loses some traction with extreme lean on flatter surfaces.....
    kind of wondering the same myself as I want to run some I29 s.... but according to Maxxis that's the bastard size rim that sits in the middle ....i am a dhf fanboy..... I guess the question is how much cornering traction will you lose being on the narrow end.
    probably more of a question for somebody who's run them on i35 and i29 rather than somebody who's never run them on 35s that wouldn't know the advantages if there really is...

The next question is who's right Stan's or Maxxis? Stans obviously has their opinion which is a bit contradictory... Anyone super fast at dh on their strava wanna chime in?
    Question: Why do you want to run 29mm internal width rims? What problem are you hoping to solve and what gains do you wish to make?

Given that you're a fan of DHF tires, those are questions you want solid answers for when considering a change in rim width.

With that said, I still think wide rims are unsuitable for people who ride fast and beat up on their wheels & tires. A WT DHF on a wide rim doesn't corner or handle any differently than a standard DHF on a 23-25mm rim, all it results in is a wheelset with heavier rims. And if you somehow get the weight of the wide rim down to the same as a narrower rim, you just make it easier to dent and flat spot. Put it this way, there's a reason that world cup DH racers are almost all running rims that are in the 25mm range.

As for who's right, Maxxis. I've ridden both their standard and WT tires on a ton of different rims, standard ones start squaring off, slowing down, and not cornering as well once you get past 25mm or so. I wouldn't want to use a standard DHF on a 29mm rim and certainly not anything over 30mm, as soon as the ground isn't rock hard the sideknobs start digging in and slowing the tire even in a straight line, it's like riding with the brakes on. As for WT DHFs, they work just fine on a 29mm, I can't say I noticed much if any difference between 29 and 34mm, and even on a 25mm they don't degrade too badly. It's definitely noticeable, but it's not as bad as going the other way around with standard tires on a wide rim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I hear a lot of guys saying that the WT tires seem less squirmy than standard... specially with Rock Gardens and what have you.... I have stock Bontrager i-22 with dhf 2.3 29ers. and I wanted to run Dhf 2.5.... I was just wondering if I29 is sufficient or ideally to go a little wider to get a more optimal profile.... but you're right between the bigger tire and rim it's probably going to be getting a little heavier to Pedal....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I hear a lot of guys saying that the WT tires seem less squirmy than standard... specially with Rock Gardens and what have you....
    Most of those guys are slow and run low tire pressures. The fast guys I ride with run their tires in the high 20 to low 30psi range so that our rims don't get smashed on rocks & roots, at those pressures tire squirm almost never happens. IMO there's a time & place for using wide rims & tires, there are applications such as low speed rock crawling where they perform better than narrower rims & regular tires. Using a DHF the way it's meant to be ridden isn't something where wide rims have an advantage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    To add to the confusion I went on Maxxis this website I was looking at the specs for 29 inch tires specifically.... their site did not list a 29 by 2.5 WT only a normal 29 by 2.5. In 29er dhf
    Conversly
    In the DHR II 29 x 2.4 only comes in a WT but no normal 2.4... this makes it a little hard to figure out what size rim to go with if I want to swap between different tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    everyone who races here seems to run 2.5 with wider rims. cat1 and pros....i dont know if its a fad or what. a pretty fast guy today demoed a bike with 2.3's and said it was squirmy in comparison to his bike with 2.5's. :edit:looked his bike up on strava pic. e13 wheels witth minions. most e13 rims are 30mm, it could have been tire pressure or the bike? but he chalked to the tire size. everyone on our trails is running dhr2 or dhf up front for the most part. most commonly cali hardpak.
    i just figured if everyone here is doing it there must be somthin to it. maybe just marketing. at end of the day the rider is the largest determing factor. really i just thought i was missin out on somthing. i run i22 stock bontrager wheels with 29 2.3 hr2 on the front and 2.3 agressor rear. wanted to go to a 2.5 dhf again like on my old bike and put the proper rim on . im not rich so aluminum it will be . dt or frequencies. just dont know what size to go with for the long run. i could do an i25 rear i 29 front ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    everyone who races here seems to run 2.5 with wider rims. cat1 and pros....i dont know if its a fad or what. a pretty fast guy today demoed a bike with 2.3's and said it was squirmy in comparison to his bike with 2.5's. :edit:looked his bike up on strava pic. e13 wheels witth minions. most e13 rims are 30mm, it could have been tire pressure or the bike? but he chalked to the tire size. everyone on our trails is running dhr2 or dhf up front for the most part. most commonly cali hardpak.
    i just figured if everyone here is doing it there must be somthin to it. maybe just marketing. at end of the day the rider is the largest determing factor. really i just thought i was missin out on somthing. i run i22 stock bontrager wheels with 29 2.3 hr2 on the front and 2.3 agressor rear. wanted to go to a 2.5 dhf again like on my old bike and put the proper rim on . im not rich so aluminum it will be . dt or frequencies. just dont know what size to go with for the long run. i could do an i25 rear i 29 front ?
    The 2.3 aggressor works great on an i25mm no reason to square of a rear tire like that, and if that's the tire you'll run most the time than run a 25mm rim in the rear.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Question: Why do you want to run 29mm internal width rims? What problem are you hoping to solve and what gains do you wish to make?

Given that you're a fan of DHF tires, those are questions you want solid answers for when considering a change in rim width.

With that said, I still think wide rims are unsuitable for people who ride fast and beat up on their wheels & tires. A WT DHF on a wide rim doesn't corner or handle any differently than a standard DHF on a 23-25mm rim, all it results in is a wheelset with heavier rims. And if you somehow get the weight of the wide rim down to the same as a narrower rim, you just make it easier to dent and flat spot. Put it this way, there's a reason that world cup DH racers are almost all running rims that are in the 25mm range.

As for who's right, Maxxis. I've ridden both their standard and WT tires on a ton of different rims, standard ones start squaring off, slowing down, and not cornering as well once you get past 25mm or so. I wouldn't want to use a standard DHF on a 29mm rim and certainly not anything over 30mm, as soon as the ground isn't rock hard the sideknobs start digging in and slowing the tire even in a straight line, it's like riding with the brakes on. As for WT DHFs, they work just fine on a 29mm, I can't say I noticed much if any difference between 29 and 34mm, and even on a 25mm they don't degrade too badly. It's definitely noticeable, but it's not as bad as going the other way around with standard tires on a wide rim.

Lots of good advice right there.

i25 rims. Agree. That is what I run on my DH rig. You really can't get away with stupid low psi with non-buff DH.

i29 rims. I'd like to add a lot of people, like myself like and use Stan's Flows, and the newest flavor comes in a i29. For trail riding I've been running the new Maxxis 2.6" tires, and have used them on i35 rims. Our trails are very rocky and slick so traction is crucial, but our trails are tight NE trails and not super high speed so I don't feel the Maxxis WT 2.5 tires are necessary. I do run the 2.6" tires with more psi than most people I've seen post. Just built up a rear with a new Flow and plan to use the DHR2 2.6" on that rim. We'll see how it goes. I think the i35 is overkill. There is almost rim hanging out over the sidewall of the tire. And since I'm not running super low psi, all that sidewall support is not really needed. Its keeping with the idea that it might be best to err on the side of a narrower rim with Maxxis tires. I still remember running 2.3" on i19 rims and as long as you had proper psi it was fine.

Aerius...

Pretty sure you are not a fan of some of Stan's rims. I've been a Flow user for years and have always found them to work well. What are your thoughts on this particular rim? I've thought about the dt xm481 in place of the Flow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    i29 rims. I'd like to add a lot of people, like myself like and use Stan's Flows, and the newest flavor comes in a i29. For trail riding I've been running the new Maxxis 2.6" tires, and have used them on i35 rims. Our trails are very rocky and slick so traction is crucial, but our trails are tight NE trails and not super high speed so I don't feel the Maxxis WT 2.5 tires are necessary. I do run the 2.6" tires with more psi than most people I've seen post.
    Moderate speed riding where lower tire pressure is crucial for traction is IMO about the only place where wide rims & tires make sense. We have a trail system like that about 45 minutes from me and the bike of choice is either a fat bike or something with 2.6-3" tires on wide rims. I've often joked that I could put on a pair of hiking boots and run those trails faster than most people can ride them.

Pretty sure you are not a fan of some of Stan's rims. I've been a Flow user for years and have always found them to work well. What are your thoughts on this particular rim? I've thought about the dt xm481 in place of the Flow.
    Let's just say I have a strong dislike of all Stan's rims and leave it at that. My experiences with all their rims including the Flow and Flow Mk3 have been...subpar. As for the DT XM481, I'm not really a fan of it and think it's a bit too light for how wide it is. I've seen a few of them get dented by my friends who were previously running the EX 471 with no issues, they ended up going back to the 471 or dealing with the extra weight of the EX 511 to avoid dents. If you want the 30mm width, you could do a 481 front and 511 rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Moderate speed riding where lower tire pressure is crucial for traction is IMO about the only place where wide rims & tires make sense. We have a trail system like that about 45 minutes from me and the bike of choice is either a fat bike or something with 2.6-3" tires on wide rims. I've often joked that I could put on a pair of hiking boots and run those trails faster than most people can ride them.

Let's just say I have a strong dislike of all Stan's rims and leave it at that. My experiences with all their rims including the Flow and Flow Mk3 have been...subpar. As for the DT XM481, I'm not really a fan of it and think it's a bit too light for how wide it is. I've seen a few of them get dented by my friends who were previously running the EX 471 with no issues, they ended up going back to the 471 or dealing with the extra weight of the EX 511 to avoid dents. If you want the 30mm width, you could do a 481 front and 511 rear.
    Good to know...
    What about easton arc's? The 471 rear 481 front is sounding 👍
    whatever brand.... the i29 or i30 front with a stronger i25 or i26 rear combo is the way i shall go....
    Im gonna hold of though till my current rubber is closer to need of replacement. The rear is starting to show wear.. the front funny enough is only starting to tear the inside of my left side knobs because i am more aggressive turning left.. Like to kick out whips to the right aka layin down the left side hehe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Most of those guys are slow and run low tire pressures. The fast guys I ride with run their tires in the high 20 to low 30psi range so that our rims don't get smashed on rocks & roots, at those pressures tire squirm almost never happens.
    Plenty of people at the pointy end of the EWS run lower than that. Are they slow?

I'm currently running Maxxis 2.6 tyres on 29mm rims. I'm also run Schwalbe 2.6 and 2.8 on them without issue, although with the 2.8 I don't push as hard. To top it off I've run a Magic Mary 2.35 on those some rims, however the Magic Mary was the same size as a mates DHF 2.5 on identical rims.

I've test fitted Maxxis 2.3 and Specialized 2.3 tyres on the 29mm rims and MOST of them square off too much. The exception are the more XC oriented tyres (i.e. Ikon) where they seem to have more volume for the quoted tyre width.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by phreeky View Post
    Plenty of people at the pointy end of the EWS run lower than that. Are they slow?
    Several things to keep in mind. They're running heavier casing tires, usually a Maxxis DD or equivalent or often a 2-ply DH tire. Many of them are also running tire inserts. Even with all this they rarely go below the mid-20s unless the track's a river of mud like it was for several rounds of the EWS last year. I've seen the bike checks, most EWS racers are in the mid 20s on the front and high 20s to low 30s on the rear, women will run a bit lower pressures since they're lighter. Jerome Clementz is one of the few exceptions, but he's the same size & weight as the women so he can get away with lower tire pressure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yah i was checkin out ews bike check too. Jerome also runs narrow as rims... i22 or somthin like that. Rude runs dt swiss 25 mm rear and 30mm front rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So I got a run in today on my new dhf 2.5 WT on i30 rims. Coming off a hr2 2.3 mounted on i23ish rims. I can't say that it's going to make me faster but the one thing that I did notice at 22 PSI is it is very supportive I weigh 155.... mostly I think it is about comfort and control which translates to confidence which I felt that it would give someone....myself included. especially in the chunder E stuff minimizing deflection.... but you're right....maybe at race pace where your skimming over the top everything anyway... I'm not sure if it would shave time technically ....but the one thing I have found about having more suspension, bigger tires, a slacker bike, is it takes a lesser Rider and gives them the confidence to do things that they couldn't before.... which ends up transferring back to a lesser bike once you know how to do it... I will say I enjoyed the bigger tire and it didn't seem to affect weight that much.. I went with a 535 gram rim on a 29er from a 480ish gram rim, and there is only what 50 more grams in the tire from 2.3 to 2.5. so I only added maybe 100 g Max of total rotating weight... I definitely see why a lot of guys are going this way