mtbr member
    May 2013

Sram X9 Rear Hub Overhaul

Hoping someone can help out. I can't figure out how to get my X9 hub apart. Brake side is easy but the drive side you cannot reach the inner nut. Looked on sram's website and the service manual I found was useless and I failed on youtube. Anyone know what to do?

mtbr member
    If you are talking about removing the freehub body. I involves a 11mm allen wrench. I just bought the freehub body and brought it to my local shop and they had the 11mm allen needed. They replaced it for free.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks I'll have to stop by the store tomorrow to find an 11mm allen. Any idea what size the rotor side bearing is? Looking at the spare parts list on sram's site they appear to be the same but pulling the drive side bearing off it's clearly a different size.

mtbr member
    That 11mm allen is an oddball size allen wrench. Probably wont find it at home depot or anything. I'm not sure the size on the driveside bearing. Mine was still good when I pulled mine apart, so I just re-installed it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Freehub is out. Still have no idea how to get to the rotor side bearing out with it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmgoff1 View Post
    Freehub is out. Still have no idea how to get to the rotor side bearing out with it out.
    Is the bearing bad? If not leave it. If its bad, use the axle or a punch to pop it out.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Bringing back an old thread but I'm currently dealing with two of these. Let me just start by saying that this is a poorly designed hub. Second, unless they made some changes, the exploded view on their web site is wrong. The biggest problem I can see is that the drive side "cone nut" is inaccesable when the hub is assembled, which is the only time you need to get to it.

Dissassembly is simple; clamp drive side axle protrusion in axle vise, loosen non-drive side hardware with cone wrenches and remove, tap NDS side of axle with mallet till axle and bearing (and ruined seal) come out. Remove NDS bearing (and another ruined seal) with blind bearing remover tool.

The bit I'm stuck at is reassembly and "adjustment". I simply can't find a good way to install the DS bearing and get the hardware properly tightened. And even if I do, since my hubs have no shoulder on the NDS of the axle, which is what the exploded view shows, they have to be manually adjusted, which is essentally impossible all things considered.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Update: Sram basically doesn't support these hubs, they buy them from a third party and distribute them. That being said they were as helpful as they could be and think a free hub and some spare bearings were worth my troubles. I'm going to attempt to get the old one rolling again, although I will have to invent a procedure to install the DS bearing and axle at the same time as an assembly, but worst case scenario I have to spend 30 bucks on some spokes and relace a wheel.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Update: Sram basically doesn't support these hubs, they buy them from a third party and distribute them. That being said they were as helpful as they could be and think a free hub and some spare bearings were worth my troubles. I'm going to attempt to get the old one rolling again, although I will have to invent a procedure to install the DS bearing and axle at the same time as an assembly, but worst case scenario I have to spend 30 bucks on some spokes and relace a wheel.
    Update number 2: I have received the replacment hub from Sram, opened it to see if the hub had a NDS bearing shoulder on the axle, like the Sram rep and their exploded diagram ensured me it would, and (like the other two I have) it does not. I have come up with a simple way to "adjust" them (by measuring the NDS axle protrusion) but still need to come up with a way to deal with the DS BS.