mtbr member

New question here. "Squishy" tire for hardtail - Shiggy?

Hey all,

My girlfriend is looking for a 2.1 or 2.25 "squishy" rear tire for her hardtail, somthing that will absorb some of the shock and mellow the suspensionless ride - it's her only bike and she's riding hard and long enough now that it's getting to her.

She's running a Schwalbe 2.25 Light Albert up front, and a Geax 2.1 Sturdy on the rear. She's thinking of getting another 2.25 Light Albert for the rear, but I figured I'd ask just in case anyone had a great sugestion in a higher volume, "squishier" rear tire...???

Shiggy - as I learned last fall the 2.35 UST Fat Albert was just too bouncy for the rear of my bike, but you stated back then (thanks) that you yourself used the 2.25 "Little Albert" on the rear on Gooseberry and that it worked well. Just verifying before going any further!

As always, thanks a bunch!
    Last edited by Rollin'in'Zona; 01-07-2005 at 07:50 PM.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona
    Hey all,

My girlfriend is looking for a 2.1 or 2.25 "squishy" rear tire for her hardtail, somthing that will absorb some of the shock and mellow the suspensionless ride - it's her only bike and she's riding hard and long enough now that it's getting to her.

She's running a Schwalbe 2.25 Light Albert up front, and a Geax 2.1 Sturdy on the rear. She's thinking of getting another 2.25 Light Albert for the rear, but I figured I'd ask just in case anyone had a great sugestion in a higher volume, "squishier" rear tire...???

Shiggy - as I learned last fall the 2.35 UST Fat Albert was just too bouncy for the rear of my bike, but you stated back then (thanks) that you yourself used the 2.25 "Little Albert" on the rear on Gooseberry and that it worked well. Just verifying before going any further!

As always, thanks a bunch!
    Generally bad criteria, as most non-technical people tend to run way to low of a tire pressure to get that "squishy" tire feel. 2.25-2.3 usually isn't that much bigger than 2.1, and doesn't take a dramatically lower PSI either. I think you are kind of barking up the wrong tree here, unless you want to put up with a good deal of pinch flats and possibly dented rims.

I may be wrong, but my experience tells me this is leading down the path that I described above...
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member

"feels like an inch of travel has been added..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Generally bad criteria, as most non-technical people tend to run way to low of a tire pressure to get that "squishy" tire feel. 2.25-2.3 usually isn't that much bigger than 2.1, and doesn't take a dramatically lower PSI either. I think you are kind of barking up the wrong tree here, unless you want to put up with a good deal of pinch flats and possibly dented rims.

I may be wrong, but my experience tells me this is leading down the path that I described above...
    Thanks for the reply Jm,

Someone in this forum described the replacement of a Bule Groove with a Fat Albert as "feels like an inch of travel has been added to my bike". That's what I'm looking for here!

...unless you want to put up with a good deal of pinch flats and possibly dented rims
    She's running tubeless now - no pinch flats. She weighs only 105, bike about 22.

2.25-2.3 usually isn't that much bigger than 2.1
    What? You can't be serious? Put a 2.1 Geax Sturdy next to a 2.25 Albert, or next to an NBX 2.3, or Minion, etc... I'm looking at the Geax and the albert rigt now - I'd say the Albert is holding 25 - 30% more air volume! I wonder if anyone (Shiggy) has measured the volume of these?

and doesn't take a dramatically lower PSI
    It's not so much about PSI. Some tires are "squishier" - the combination of compound, casing geometry, casing thread pattern, sidwall thickness, tread, etc. influences how tires feel and perform. Some tires are just more "squishy" than others at the same PSI. The comment "feels like an inch of travel has been added to my bike". These are the same size tires - with almost identical volume - yet one feels more squishy at the same PSI.

That's what I'm asking about here - anyone who knows of a tire with that sort of feeling I've had experience with tires from only a handfull of manufacturers, so I'm really greatful for anyone's input!

Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona
    ...It's not so much about PSI. Some tires are "squishier" - the combination of compound, casing geometry, casing thread pattern, sidwall thickness, tread, etc. influences how tires feel and perform. Some tires are just more "squishy" than others at the same PSI. The comment "feels like an inch of travel has been added to my bike". These are the same size tires - with almost identical volume - yet one feels more squishy at the same PSI.

That's what I'm asking about here - anyone who knows of a tire with that sort of feeling I've had experience with tires from only a handfull of manufacturers, so I'm really greatful for anyone's input!

Thanks!
    I know what you are saying R'in'Zona. I have ridden some DH tires that are down-right harsh riding even at very low psi.

Many times I have said a tire rides "bigger" than its size. Your description above is what I am talking about. The Panaracer Cinder is one of these. The old Vredestein mtb tires rode "big", too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I know what you are saying R'in'Zona. I have ridden some DH tires that are down-right harsh riding even at very low psi.

Many times I have said a tire rides "bigger" than its size. Your description above is what I am talking about. The Panaracer Cinder is one of these. The old Vredestein mtb tires rode "big", too.
    Are you talking about the Slizer and Grinder by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by grawbass
    Are you talking about the Slizer and Grinder by any chance?
    Yup. The K-Nobs, too.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

Perhaps a Cinder...

Thanks guys! Perhaps a cinder will be up for a test ride! Sure do like that 2.25 Light Albert though...

mtbr member

So Shiggy, Cinder / Albert combo?

So Shiggy, what do you think of running a 2.25 Light Albert w/ a 2.25 Cinder? Any reason not to? Any front / rear preference w/ this setup?

Or would you suggest keepint Alberts all the way around?

Thanks!

Either would be fine.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Just out of curiousity, what PSI are you running those Albert's at to get that squishy feeling?

I used to run IRC Kujo's at 15psi on rough trails and they had a really nice ride (never had a pinch flat either) but your rims sure took a beating. It took a lot of work to get your wheels straight if you rode them like that consistently. They also had tons of rolling resistance.

How do the Light Albert's compare to the Kujo's in terms of feel? I love the idea of running big tires at moderate PSI again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn595
    Just out of curiousity, what PSI are you running those Albert's at to get that squishy feeling?

I used to run IRC Kujo's at 15psi on rough trails and they had a really nice ride (never had a pinch flat either) but your rims sure took a beating. It took a lot of work to get your wheels straight if you rode them like that consistently. They also had tons of rolling resistance.

How do the Light Albert's compare to the Kujo's in terms of feel? I love the idea of running big tires at moderate PSI again.
    You would be running a lot more pressure in the Alberts. It is a light, thin casing XC tire vs the Kujo's thicker DH casing.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

New question here.

- Given any thought to the 2.4 Mutanoraptor??? Light, Good volume & predictable.......... At least in my Cen. Coast Ca. conditions.

mtbr member
    Just out of curiousity, what PSI are you running those Albert's at to get that squishy feeling? .....I love the idea of running big tires at moderate PSI again.
    My girlfriend weighs only 105, and ran the 2.25 Albertup front @ 24 psi w/ tubes on Mavic 321 rims. After an extremely frustrating few rides with several flats (yes, slimed), she converted the Albert to tubeless via Stan's, which has worked beautifully for her for the past two months! She now runs the front Albert @ 22 psi.

FWIW, I'm using a UST Albert 2.35 in front, on Mavic 823 rim, running between 24 and 28 psi depending... I weigh about 175 on 33 lb bike. I know UST is different, but thought I'd throw it out there

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm really interested in trying out this tire but can't find the foldable version that I can afford. I've found a pair of the wire bead version in 2.25 but I'd rather have the foldable just for the weight savings.

How long lasting are these tires? Some of the reviews I've read state that the tread off of the Light Albert's wear quickly. If that's the case I may just get the wire beads anyway as they're much cheaper.

Thanks again for the info.

mtbr member

Albert wear...

I'm really interested in trying out this tire but can't find the foldable version that I can afford. I've found a pair of the wire bead version in 2.25 but I'd rather have the foldable just for the weight savings.

How long lasting are these tires? Some of the reviews I've read state that the tread off of the Light Albert's wear quickly. If that's the case I may just get the wire beads anyway as they're much cheaper.

Thanks again for the info.
    Try Mountain High Cyclery - about $32 for the 2.25 Light Albert.

So far the Alberts are wearing much, much slower than the Kenda Nevegal / Blue Groove! In fact, I think they're wearing great! I am absotively a low pressure rider though - run the 2.35 UST Albert @ 22-24 psi on the front of my 6x5.

You may also want to consider the Panaracer Cinder, as per this thread. I've found them for $26, and plan to try one out next month instead of getting a second Albert - not that I'm unhappy with the Albert, just curious about the Cinder