Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Spokes and nipples questions

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  nwmtb 
#1 ·
I weigh 250 lbs. and am planning to purchase wheels with XT hubs and Mavic F519 rims for use with rim brakes. My bike is full suspension and my riding habits are XC and easy to moderate trails. I'm confused over what spokes and nipples to request for the wheel build. I read some who say that 14ga straight makes a stiffer wheel and that's the way to go. Others say that double butted 14/15 spokes absorb stress better and produce a more durable wheel, and it would be lighter. So what's the answer?

Also, if I had to choose between DT and Wheelsmith would one brand be preferable over the other for a heavy duty wheel?

And what's the difference between using alloy vs. brass nipples for this kind of wheel?

Thanks much!

#2 ·
I have a similar question...

TwilightZone said:
I weigh 250 lbs. and am planning to purchase wheels with XT hubs and Mavic F519 rims for use with rim brakes. My bike is full suspension and my riding habits are XC and easy to moderate trails. I'm confused over what spokes and nipples to request for the wheel build. I read some who say that 14ga straight makes a stiffer wheel and that's the way to go. Others say that double butted 14/15 spokes absorb stress better and produce a more durable wheel, and it would be lighter. So what's the answer?

Also, if I had to choose between DT and Wheelsmith would one brand be preferable over the other for a heavy duty wheel?

And what's the difference between using alloy vs. brass nipples for this kind of wheel?

Thanks much!
Not to hijackyour post Twilight, but I was just getting ready to build or buy built a new wheelset with King ISO Disc hubs and Mavic EX321 rims. I use disc brakes with a 203mm fr and 185mm rr rotors. I'm around 215+ in gear and ride agressivly trying to spend equal amounts of time on the trail as airborne. My current wheels are F219 w/ XT & 14ga spokes. Would I lose and duribility going to 14/15? Also thought about 14/15 on the front and straight 14 for thr disc side and 14/15 for the drive side or just straight 14 for the whole rear. Does spoke brand really matter? I've always just used what was available. I will be using brass nipples. Help

#3 ·
staright gauge spokes = torsional stiffness

TwilightZone said:

Thanks much!
Twilight..great choice for durable rim, and hub .... so realistically considering the choices of the other two components weight is not a real big concern. This is why i would use 14 g straight spokes in your case, the 14 g staight spokes are much more torsionally stiff than either 15 g spokes ar 14/15 g and since you are running rim brakes your rim will drag less often under heavy side loads or deflection from rocks. But just to let you know..a butted spoke typically is more durable, because the butted spoke is more elastic than a straight spoke taking much more of the shock, and abuse. There are many other pros and cons of going either way but i think these are the main points for you.

Spokes...i've used both and have had great results with both....many experts in the field swear by DT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.