mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Spokes for FR/DJ: DT Swiss Competition DB vs. Super-Comp TB

So I'm building a burly but light wheelset for my DJ/DS bike, that may double as a freeride wheelset eventually, but so far its just a 32H front wheel.
    Spank Tweet Tweet 32H Rim
    Profile MTB 20mm hub
    Alloy nipples

Im trying to decide if I should just go with DT Swiss Competition Double-Butted spokes, or if it would really be worth it to nut-up and get a set of the DT Swiss Super-Comp Triple-butted spokes. They are another 25 dollar or so for the set, but Im just not sure they will actually save me that much weight or make it that much stronger at all for the money.

Whats your opinion?

Former Bike Wrench
    Supercomps are lighter but are not any more durable than Competitions. For FR, I would use Comps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Supercomps are lighter but are not any more durable than Competitions. For FR, I would use Comps.
    yea, I know they are lighter, and probably stronger too, but I was just wondering if it was worth the extra money for my purpose.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenkiS14
    yea, I know they are lighter, and probably stronger too, but I was just wondering if it was worth the extra money for my purpose.
    They're not stronger

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Stick with the regular Competitions on a bike that's going to be seeing airtime. You could get away with Supercomps if you're a smooth rider and don't weigh much more than 150 pounds or so and the wheel's built up perfectly and kept well trued and tensioned at all times. Lots of if's there so I can't really recommend it.

transmitter~receiver
    Either will work fine, no if's, and's or but's about it. I doubt you'll see a material difference in weight, performance, or durability between the two, the differences just aren't that great, which tends to point toward Comps based on price. A compromise would be Wheelsmith DB14s, which are 2.0/1.7 double butted.
    That said, my statistically insignificant experience is that I've replaced S.Comps broken at the nipple probably 10:1 over any other broken spoke (none in wheels I built), so I'm a bit jaded.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well thanks for the advice guys, looks like I'll be going with a set of the regular Comps!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My experience with supercomps, is that they break right above the nipple also. There's a reason why no other manufacturers have made a counterpart to the supercomp.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Went with the Comps, and got my goofy wheel built up!