mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Spokeless wheel set....

for MTB with disk brake, light, and durable- is there such a thing?

mtbr member
    Huh? You mean something like the mag wheels we used to see on bmx bikes? I think there's some on eBay, but I would much prefer a spoked wheel that you can true and tension to a cast piece of plastic...

mtbr member
    May 2007

mtbr member

spinergy

spinergy wheels have carbon bladed wheels about 10-15 years back. basically 4 blades per side.

not sure when they stopped making them though.

Paste eater
    why?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbikemad
    spinergy wheels have carbon bladed wheels about 10-15 years back. basically 4 blades per side.

not sure when they stopped making them though.
    Because they were noodles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

I think those are the ones...

Quote Originally Posted by ryball
    I saw a video on youtube of a guy @ Tsali that had some and it sparked an interest. but for close to $1k, there out of my budget for now.
    Yup- those are bad@ss
    Last edited by DirtyJ; 02-20-2008 at 01:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    OK- so I did some looking around- the Aerospokes don't look bad, a few hundred cheaper then the TAG's BUT they have a build it AL rim shell, I don't know how much that would effect the strength vs weight issue. Supposedly lifetime warranty with a $150 replacement deductible. TAG has a similar replacement program but I think it was $500

SO I also checked into the "TUFF WHEELS", looks like they still make them but for BMX 20" rims only.

The Spinergy's can be had on Ebay but I wasn't interested in doing much more research on them since they are no longer made.

Did I miss any other MAG, Composite, etc brand?

PS- the little video on the TAG website comparing the MAG wheel to the traditional medal/spoke was enlightening. I recommend all you NAY-SAYERS to check it out.

mtbr member
    I don't care how well they work, at close to twice the weight of a Crossmax wheelset (or your hand-built Chris King set) they're not worth it to anyone except the most extreme hucker. If you fall into that category, by all means try them. For most users on this board, there's no point.

For reference, the rims weigh 1597g each, without hubs. So you're full build, with the DT 440 hubs they supply, are 1828g (front) and 1928g (rear). That's 4lbs and 4.2lbs or 8.2 lbs of rotating mass added onto your bike. I'm guessing you could build a wheel that was just as stiff using spokes that would weigh less... Its just that nobody does!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    They weigh over twice as much as the FSA XC-300 wheelset and cost 3x as much. For $950 you can have basically any wheels you want.

Tag Wheels are only good for 13 year old kids to "look cool".

I think you would be better off with these for $270 (including shipping):
    Attached Images Attached Images

Single Speed Junkie
    Why?

Advantages of spokes.
    - Light
    - Durable
    - Reliable
    - Can have a spoke fail and still ride out.

Advantages of Mag type wheels.
    - Light? Nope
    - Durable? Not yet proven
    - Reliable? Don't think so otherwise we would see them on the trail
    - Wheel failure is going to hurt, now carry your bike out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant
    They weigh over twice as much as the FSA XC-300 wheelset and cost 3x as much. For $950 you can have basically any wheels you want.

Tag Wheels are only good for 13 year old kids to "look cool".

I think you would be better off with these for $270 (including shipping):
    Are those Aeropoke? I couldn't see in the pic which brand those were. $270 isn't bad if they can hold up.

I wouldn't say that they are only for 13 yr olds (maybe the TUFF WHEELS )- I mean if you guys are more concerned about weight, don't do any DH and actually LIKE tuning your rims all the time I can see why you'd never want to try anything new or different.
    It's strange to me why so many people are scared to try something new and I think that's why + the cost issue, that you don't see alot of composite wheels on the trail.
    Like I said earlier- go to the website, watch the video, then think about the durabilty issue again. You might change your mind. Being on the Clyde side- having to worry about trashing wheels is a concern for me.

mtbr member
    I too am a clyde. I don't DH, as I don't have anywhere near me to DH. That said, I just can't see dropping that much $$ on something that heavy. Even for DH, it seems too heavy.

I did watch the video, and have no doubt that they're as strong as they claim. Is it worth that much to you, well, that's for you to decide...

Huh?
    The front of those TAG wheels weights 4.0 pounds, and the rear 4.2. A great wheelset with so many benefits over your standard Spinergy

http://www.tagwheels.com/frx5.aspx

mtbr member
    xentis - Handmade in Germany not so expensive when you think about it.

www.xentis.com

mtbr member
    I had Aerospokes on my Trek. Had them on for about 5 years and no problems. A little pricey, but I tliked the way they looked.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tonight we ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryball
    Because they were noodles.
    Actually, they were extremely stiff, with zero windup, so they felt much snappier than standard spoked wheels. They also made a hardtail even harsher because they transferred every bump on the trail.

Spinergy switched to PBO spokes, which unlike CF blades can survive impacts against sharp rocks and be replaced.

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by hotprowl
    I had Aerospokes on my Trek. Had them on for about 5 years and no problems. A little pricey, but I tliked the way they looked.

GHEY

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobberdoggy
    xentis - Handmade in Germany not so expensive when you think about it.

www.xentis.com

that kappa comes with a lefty option now if i can find a supplier im all over it

banned
    There is at least one post above confusing Spin and Spinergy.

Spin- Out of business, around 2000 was the last we heard of them during the Eon development. Made those 4 spoked wheels.

Spinergy- Still in business, using composite fiber spokes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The key here is not....

being afraid to try something new, but being bored with trying something that has already been done!

The bottom line is, this type of wheel, when made light enough to actually be pedaled up the mountain, isn't durable. When made durable they aren't light, and when made light and durable they are insanely expensive. And if they do get damaged they are not easily repairable. I mean for crying out loud!, why in the world would I want a set of wheels where the front wheel alone weighs more than my current wheel set!?!?! I wouldn't even want to try and pedal a 3756g wheel set (wihtout tires I might add) around the block! Let alone around the trails!

I have no doubt that they are stronger than a traditional spoked wheel. But you are comparing apples to oranges here. Get that alloy wheel down to a comparable weight with the spoked wheel and I am certain the spoked wheel would win out in the durablity area. These wheels would be great for gravity riders, but for anyone that has to pedal up to go down (or pedal at all for that matter) there are much better options out there.

This isn't anything "new", it's just a rehash of an old idea that didn't work out. Now if they could come up with a 1700g wheel set that's as durable and "supposedly" bomb proof as what they're hawking now, I might be interested. Something like that could consivably be the last wheel set a person would ever have to buy! And that would be something. But until then, I'll pass. Wheels have always been a compromise between, weight, durability, and cost. It's all in the compromises that you are willing to make.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I realize how important weight is to some people in these threads. I for one wouldn't care if my bike weighed an upwards of 100 lbs ( although that number is ridiculous ), but in a lot of situations I would rather not bite the dust after a failure from a small lightweight part such as a spoke. Which I've had happen to me before. The fall hurt worse than being ran over by my brother behind me.