mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Spoke problems and a dumb question

Hey everyone,

I need some advice/experience/knowledge.

I purchased a Giant Rapid from a fellow rider and I've had nothing but problems with the rear wheel. Every ride I have at least one spoke come undone (as in, it just unscrews from the nipple and the nipple falls into the rim) I've put the nipples back on and taken it to be trued several times (4 in a month) The last time I took it in, the mechanic, finally noticed that the wheel was not laced properly. By properly, I mean that the drive side of the wheel (where the cassette is) is laced 3-cross pattern. The non-drive side is straight spokes. The wheel is just the basic rim, hub and spokes straight from Giant. As far as the previous owner knows, the wheel was never rebuilt and this is the way it came from the factory.

Now my questions:

1. What could be causing the nipples to unscrew from the spokes?
    2. Is it normal or strange that the wheel is laced 3 cross on one side and straight laced on the other?

Please help me out if you can.

Thank you

Goran

It's about showing up.
    Blue sky guess? Uneven support due to the different lacing patter on different sides causing lateral torque at the wheel plane, slowly spinning the spoke out of the nipple.
    I don't rattle.

turtles make me hot
    If it were me, I'd relace the wheel three cross on both sides.
    I like turtles

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Spoke problems and a dumb question

Quote Originally Posted by Goran13 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I need some advice/experience/knowledge.

I purchased a Giant Rapid from a fellow rider and I've had nothing but problems with the rear wheel. Every ride I have at least one spoke come undone (as in, it just unscrews from the nipple and the nipple falls into the rim) I've put the nipples back on and taken it to be trued several times (4 in a month) The last time I took it in, the mechanic, finally noticed that the wheel was not laced properly. By properly, I mean that the drive side of the wheel (where the cassette is) is laced 3-cross pattern. The non-drive side is straight spokes. The wheel is just the basic rim, hub and spokes straight from Giant. As far as the previous owner knows, the wheel was never rebuilt and this is the way it came from the factory.

Now my questions:

1. What could be causing the nipples to unscrew from the spokes?
    2. Is it normal or strange that the wheel is laced 3 cross on one side and straight laced on the other?

Please help me out if you can.

Thank you

Goran
    The wheel is laced as Giant intended. Not uncommon for road wheels to use radial non drive side lacing. When built/tensioned correctly it can be more durable, in addition to being lighter and more aerodynamic. Sounds like yours was not built very well and/or was somewhat abused before you got it.
    The wheel needs--at the very least--to be completely retensioned, not just trued.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thank you folks for all your help. At first the shop really psyched me out when they told me that the lacing wasn't correct. I figured Giant wouldn't do something like that. I wasn't really sure what is right or wrong. Thank you again.
    I will be asking to get the wheel retensioned and trued.
    At worst, if it doesn't continue to work well after the work, I will just have it relaced.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Spoke problems and a dumb question

Thank you folks for all your help. At first the shop really psyched me out when they told me that the lacing wasn't correct. I figured Giant wouldn't do something like that. I wasn't really sure what is right or wrong. Thank you again.
    I will be asking to get the wheel retensioned and trued.
    At worst, if it doesn't continue to work well after the work, I will just have it relaced.
    If you can not do the work yourself, I would look for a different shop based on their opinions of the lacing.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    If you can not do the work yourself, I would look for a different shop based on their opinions of the lacing.
    Unfortunately wheels are out of my reach, I don't have the proper tools or knowhow to out it together, but I did think about taking it to a different shop and that is what I'm doing. They have more experience with road bikes, so I'm hoping their wheel man can figure it out.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Roger Musson has a good ebook on it. Re-tensioning a wheel is not rocket science as long as you have at least 3 fingers on each hand to hold a spoke wrench and they are not glued together. Good Luck

Wheelbuilding book for building bicycle wheels

Unfortunately wheels are out of my reach, I don't have the proper tools or knowhow to out it together, but I did think about taking it to a different shop and that is what I'm doing. They have more experience with road bikes, so I'm hoping their wheel man can figure it out.

Thanks again.

transmitter~receiver
    The wheel is laced as Giant intended. Not uncommon for road wheels to use radial non drive side lacing. When built/tensioned correctly it can be more durable, in addition to being lighter and more aerodynamic. Sounds like yours was not built very well and/or was somewhat abused before you got it.
    The wheel needs--at the very least--to be completely retensioned, not just trued.
    ^^ this

^^ and this
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database