mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Spoke length issue

I'm building up a pair of dt swiss 240s hubs (6 bolt standard qr) on a pair of 29er x470s.

I've run through the spoke calculator about 20 times and I'm getting consistent numbers (manual input of specs), but I've built up the wheels and it looks like the spoke lengths are wrong. Has anyone had any experience with this wheel/hub combination, or can see what I'm doing wrong.Spoke length issue-closest-calculator.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Can you explain, what do you mean by the spokes length appears to be wrong? Too short? Too long? Have you just laced the wheel up, or have you actually built it completely and brought everything up to tension?

Did you measure the rims yourself?

mtbr member

Spoke length issue

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
    Did you measure the rims yourself?
    this. when I measure rims they're usually a mm or so off from manufacturer specs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    @dgaddis1 I have built the wheel up, brought it up to tension. A friend said he was a wheel builder for a company and walked me through the process and he was concerned that they were too long, but we built it up anyway as there was no way to check outside of the spoke calculator. That being said with your question about measuring the rims myself, I didn't!!! I will do that and punch in those numbers!! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You can't measure the rim now that it's built up.

But, if you look inside the rim at the top of the nipple, what do you see? Ideally the spoke should be flush with the top of the nipple, like the pic below. At minimum it should be flush with the bottom of the slot in the nipple head.

As long as they weren't so long that you ran out of threads on the spoke before reaching proper tension you're okay. You run out of threads when the top of the spoke is about 1mm outside/above the nipple head.

Ideal:

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by pikeymick View Post
    @dgaddis1 I have built the wheel up, brought it up to tension. A friend said he was a wheel builder for a company and walked me through the process and he was concerned that they were too long, but we built it up anyway as there was no way to check outside of the spoke calculator. That being said with your question about measuring the rims myself, I didn't!!! I will do that and punch in those numbers!! Thanks!
    You said you manually entered the data, but where did you get the data? Manual enrty means nothing if you have not measured and confirmed the dimensions yourself.

Using the info DT has in the calculator you have the ERD and rear hub right, but wrong for the front hub.

But that would give you too short spokes for the front.

If you have the wheels built, have the tensions up to where you want them, and the nipples have not bottomed out, the spokes are not too long.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Spoke length issue

The spokes are poking out the back of the nipples by more than 1 mm. They are definitely too long. My dilemma now is dropping another chunk of cash on spokes and assuring I get the correct lengths being an ignorant noob.

I got the specs from the spec sheet for the hubs and rim. Do you guys typically manually measure these?

The spokes are poking out the back of the nipples by more than 1 mm. They are definitely too long. My dilemma now is dropping another chunk of cash on spokes and assuring I get the correct lengths being an ignorant noob.

I got the specs from the spec sheet for the hubs and rim. Do you guys typically manually measure these?
    Rule #1: Measure everything yourself, at least twice.

Rule #2: Use one calculator you trust (which is the DT for me).

If the spokes are too long there is no dilemma. You need the proper length to have a successful wheelbuild.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Dilemma = money spent.

Spoke length issue

Dilemma = money spent.
    Still not a dilemma. If the spokes are indeed too short, the wheel will not last. A folded rim = even more money to be spent to make it right.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Spoke length issue

Last word.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

just get a shop to shorten them on a phil wood machine. 20 bucks max