Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Spline Drive Nipples: Weight

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  GrosGarage 
#1 ·
Somebody know what is the weight of Spline Drive nipples (long alloy version for aero rim)? I initially wanted some standard DT ProLock alloy nipples but my LBS cannot obtain them in the 1.8x16mm that I require. His distributor can however get those Spline Drive thing. I'm wondering how much they weight.

BTW, I recently received the CK ISO hubs to go with these. All I can say is WOW they look good and damn there well made!

#3 ·
The spline drive nipples weigh the same as other alloy nipples. The only trouble with them is finding a good tool to build/true them with. The pack I have came with a tiny trail tool but I certainly wouldn't want to use it for anything but an emergency. This is the only reason I haven't used them yet.

#4 ·
Spline is Long Gone...

GrosGarage said:
Somebody know what is the weight of Spline Drive nipples (long alloy version for aero rim)? I initially wanted some standard DT ProLock alloy nipples but my LBS cannot obtain them in the 1.8x16mm that I require. His distributor can however get those Spline Drive thing. I'm wondering how much they weight.

BTW, I recently received the CK ISO hubs to go with these. All I can say is WOW they look good and damn there well made!
I've got a few sets, and like the way they build. Great for good spoke tension with Alloy Nips. (Would consider doing a Ti wheel with these).

The wrench is an issue, but there was a Park-esque type tool that you could get. If the shop has the nips, maybe they have the wrench??

The thing I would be MORE worried about would be another shop NOT having the wrench or spare parts if you ever needed 'em. Last time I had my wheel trued I had to lend 'em my wrench. (I was feeling lazy, what can I say).

So if you get 'em - Great, but be aware of the limitations you'll put on yourself.

JmZ

#5 ·
Homebrew said:
The spline drive nipples weigh the same as other alloy nipples. The only trouble with them is finding a good tool to build/true them with. The pack I have came with a tiny trail tool but I certainly wouldn't want to use it for anything but an emergency. This is the only reason I haven't used them yet.
Actually they're heavier because the splined head has more material to it than a tradtitional square-head nipple, and over 32 nipples the weight adds up. The aero rim nipples weigh even more because they're also longer overall.

I used to deal splinedrive nipples and I'm kicking myself for not keeping a dozen sets for future use myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.