mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Spinergy Xyclone Enduro wheels

Hi guys.

Can any owners of these wheels share their experience? Does it really weigh 1840 grams? tks

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    They're good strong wheels-however, I ended up exchanging them for the regular Xyclone Discs-with the 20mm thru-axle option. Honestly, the regular Xyclones are incredibly strong and resilient (more than enough for most needs except true hucking and flat landing), but weigh 200 grams less--getting them with the 20mm thru-axle conversion is key however.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've had a set for about a year now and they are stout. They have seen a little bit of everything from xc to downhill and 3 to 4 foot drops. Still very true and smooth running wheels. I just took them off of my am bike and put them on my hardtail though cause I decided to go with a wider rim and tubeless setup. All in all, I would recommend them if you can get for a good price. Found mine on ebay new for $400.

edit: their CS was very helpful also. Didn't get the spoke wrenches with the wheels so I called Spinergy and they sent wrenches and some extra spokes for a couple of bucks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks guys, im looking at losing some weight from the bontrager wheels that came off my 09 Trek Fuel EX8. They weigh at an incredible 2160 grams, almost the same as a set of Downhill Dee Max wheelsets.

The reviews so far look good. I must admit that i am more inclined to the enduros as they are more suitable for the style of riding that i do, and also because i like the look of fewer and thicker spokes. However i would like the weight savings to be reasonably significant, which is why im curious about the actual weights of the enduros vs claimed weights.

I also noticed that there were some issues with fitting on an XT cassette - Would this problem occur with XTR cassettes?

Tks again for your feedback. Am keen to get a set as we speak.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I forgot to add, if you are concerned at all with rider weight, that I am between 190 & 210 lbs fully loaded depending on the time of year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks again. How about flex? I am still perplexed at how "strings" for lack of a better description, can give the wheel good lateral strength unless the tension is extremely high.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by usuckpoo
    Thanks again. How about flex? I am still perplexed at how "strings" for lack of a better description, can give the wheel good lateral strength unless the tension is extremely high.

I weigh about 260 lbs and have been running the Xyclone Disc and can tell you that for the last 4 years, they have been perfect. I also picked up a pair of Spinergy Fall Lines during that time and they have been absolutely bombproof. I have never been easy on them and always give them a huge thumbsup. You can't go wrong with them
    Last edited by taterbug; 04-12-2009 at 09:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    thanks again. Any last word on the weight? Im no weight weenie but it is an upgrade. Just want to make sure its a worthwhile one from my current wheelset.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have had a few Xyclone XC disc wheels. The old set (2004) had rim braking surfaces and ISO disc mounts. The rear hub was . . . . well it was a total POS. Constantly bending axles and the poor design caused enough friction internally to promote nasty high speed chainsuck. The front hub was Ok but both rims needed truing frequently. Sold em

I heard the rear hub was outsourced or redesigned a couple years ago, I'm not gonna find out if its better.

I still own a (2007) disc specific XC front wheel on my hardtail. The wheel is VERY light. Its about 50 gms heavier than a Speedream wheel built for my 135 lbs. Its bombproof to the point that the bearings still feel like they're not even broken in yet. I'm not a clyde or freerider but the rim stays true and the PBO spokes dampen vibration as advertised. I would buy this front wheel again. I love everything about it except the loud decals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi,

I would add one question about those wheels (spi enduro), is it possible to switch for tubeless with a tubeless kit ? and what is the inner size of the rim ?

re member
    Quote Originally Posted by triplex
    Hi,

I would add one question about those wheels (spi enduro), is it possible to switch for tubeless with a tubeless kit ? and what is the inner size of the rim ?
    I can let you know in a few days. I just got a set of these wheels. I am going ot run them ghetto tubeless. However, I am going to use contiental 20" tubes, as they are available with removable presta cores. The rim looks too narrow to drill out to shraeder size in order to use standard BMX tubes for rimstrips.

If these tubes dont work out (kinda thin) I'll get Stan's strips. Mine measure at just under 19mm on the inner width.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dual Squishy...
    Getting a new rear Spinergy Enduro, for my '07 Enduro, at a good price and was planning on going with a Stan's kit for it as well. Big upgrade from the low grade DEORE hub that came from Specialized, stronger and lighter...

What's the deal on their engagement? I am assuming it's not in the realm of King or I9. Can anyone provide feedback? Coming from the low grade DEORE hub, I am hoping for am improvement there as well...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    We have been running Spinergy on the road for 2 season and everyone loves them, so I bought some Enduro's. I am 230lbs and a Cat 1 DH/BMX rider. (out of shape!!) The thing I like about the Spinergy is how the PBO spokes seem to add a little extra love to the ride and dampen vibration without losing torque. We have noticed that Spinergy's stay truer, longer, than anything else we've tried.

Their weights are dead-on, not like Mavic and DT's "Wishful Weights". I don't think you can go wrong with these- US built hubs, US built wheel with rims from Mexico. We have 60 sets for our road team over 2 years and no failures or issues!

Also, some people recommend the XC but if you like running a wider tire the Enduro will give you a larger contact patch because of the wider rim... and 1850gms is pretty damn light for a 26mm rim and disc hub!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I don't know if anyone is still interested in this topic but I just received my pair of Xyclone Enduros and realized the 1840 weight (mine were right around there on the scale) is WITH the 9mm adapters. So if you are running a 20mm axel the wheels will weigh even less. May not be too many grams shaved off but it puts them even nearer to the Mavic Crossmax SXs actual weight, which from what I hear is always way over the claimed 1755.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Has anyone got any advice on the best methods for converting a Enduro wheelset to tubless? I'm struggling to find UK based help as Spinergy aren't big MTB players over here. Love mine tho, light and bomb proof, true and smooth. Just serviced the bearings after 2 hard years!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker
    I can let you know in a few days. I just got a set of these wheels. I am going ot run them ghetto tubeless. However, I am going to use contiental 20" tubes, as they are available with removable presta cores. The rim looks too narrow to drill out to shraeder size in order to use standard BMX tubes for rimstrips.

If these tubes dont work out (kinda thin) I'll get Stan's strips. Mine measure at just under 19mm on the inner width.
    How did the tubless thing work out?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Thinking outside the box!
    They are very, very strong. now have rode like; 750 miles on them without a single problem.
    okok like 150 miles on the street (with the tires shown in my signature) and the rest in to the mountains.

And yet i dident have to adjust the spokes a single time.
    Great Quallity
    Riding in Style: Scott Scale 40 (2006) with White Spinergy's + Balloon Tires!
    http://img163.imageshack.us/i/scottmtb1.jpg/

re member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    How did the tubless thing work out?
    Quite well. After a few months of use, the rear tire blew off, though. My fault for running too low pressure. After that happened, I got a pair of Stan's strips (the standard sized ones), and ran them for quite a few months tubeless like that with no issues. (Maxxis high-rollers and minions)

Pretty damn good wheels. No issues at all with the hubs. I heard Spinergy sourced Hadley to do the hub internals after their ealry hub failures when they first started out.

However, I did have to true the rear periodically, which went against all the reports of them "staying true forever". But, I'm kinda a hack and not smooth at all, so that didn't help any. Kinda sucked with tubeless, cause to true them, you need to spin the spokes from the inside of the wheel, instead of just spinning the nipples from the outside. No biggie if you're running them with tubes.

They're now my back-up wheelset...I got a set of Kings laced to Flows now. But, I still highly recommend them.
    Last edited by net wurker; 11-15-2010 at 06:54 PM.
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

mtbr member
    I'm trying to decide on Disc or Enduro. I am building up a light carbon (frame arrived today!) rigid HT, with a Trigon carbon fork and a one piece Trigon carbon bar/stem. But I like to run WTB Mutano race tires. The are listed as a 2.4" but in reallity they are 55mm wide. So, they are a wider tire. The Enduros are 26mm rim @ 1840 grams and the dics wheels are 23mm rim @ 1695 grams. I don't want to have and tire rolling issues and I keep telling myself 145 grams isn't a big deal if I go with the Enduros. What do you think?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

re member
    I would go with the Enduros.
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

FIRENZE rulez !!
    someone did a tubeless transformation with Notube's yellow tape ?