Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    jeffrotech
    Mar 2008

SPIN wheels (not Spynergy) tri-spoke - Rear hub or freehub???????????????????????????

I have a pair of these classic wheels - Spin composite (thermoplastic carbon fiber, I believe). Approx. 1999 or 2000 vintage.

The rear freehub grenaded (the 3 pawls fell appart), and the wheels went into storage years ago. I'd like to fix them, cause they are perfect otherwise.

All I need is the freehub body, and I'm all set.

Anyone know who made this hub??? (I've been told Bontrager/DT, but cannot confirm).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hi, i'm french, i have a rear wheel spin tri spoke same as your.

I have see your post on the mtbr forum , but no reply ...

Have you find a solution at your problem ?

My probleme is : the cartridge bearing move into the freehub on the left side.

Thanks for your Help.

Pierre Désert From France.

banned
    Both of you guys would be doing a service to yourselves to post as many internal and external pictures of the hub and its parts as possible, so that hopefully someone could identify what hubs it may share some commonalities with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I replaced mine with an XT hub body, think it was a 2004 model... works fine for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

New question here. Similar problem

I just got a GT with SPIN wheels. The front wheel came with disc breaks already but the rear wheel is using the regular ones.
    Any advice how to convert the rear one to disc? The frame is ready with the IS holes in place.
    Is there an adapter for this type of wheels? I mean, an adapter for the rotor to attach it to the hub.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaton13
    I just got a GT with SPIN wheels. The front wheel came with disc breaks already but the rear wheel is using the regular ones.
    Any advice how to convert the rear one to disc? The frame is ready with the IS holes in place.
    Is there an adapter for this type of wheels? I mean, an adapter for the rotor to attach it to the hub.
    No there is no way to convert these wheels. They are no longer sold for a reason, they were heavy, harsh riding, and expensive. I recommend saving up for a good set of hand built disc wheels which will be far superior in ride quality and weight. Bicycle Wheel Warehouse has quality hand built wheels starting around $150.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    And do not use a broken wheel.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    First post here! in my research I found the maufacture of the hubs here in onterio Calif! Hadley Racing, (909)946-6780. I spoke to a girl name susan and she confirmed that they did in fact made the hubs for SPIN, but that was such a long time ago that they have no parts for the hubs any longer. Maybe you can call them and see if they can identify the parts required to repair the freehub! Heres a picture of a front hub .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPIN wheels (not Spynergy) tri-spoke - Rear hub or freehub???????????????????????????-bike-wheels-bike-wheel-bike-wheel-sets-17773702761622470.jpg  

Last edited by fastzcars; 12-29-2010 at 04:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Thanks to all

First tanks to all of you that took the time to read and respond to this thread.
    I haven't been able to take a picture of mine since I'm afraid to remove it from the wheel.
    Also I have been very busy at work and no time to explore my wheel by taking it apart.
    But I'm confident that there is a solution for this problem somewhere.
    I know that eventually I WILL BE RIDING MY BIKE WITH BOTH DISC BREAKS.

fastzcars, thank you, I'll try Hadley Racing, who knows, they might have something laying around.

~Disc~Golf~
    ... I WILL BE RIDING MY BIKE WITH BOTH DISC BREAKS.

Like shig alluded to, You really should fix it beforehand...
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Not to burst your bubble megaton13 but I tried that and she just flat out said NO! And they are not interested in making any new hubs and or have any parts! maybe if we have get a couple of people interested in a group buy we can convince them into making some new ones! That really all depends on how many people we can get. You know money talks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fastzcars
    Not to burst your bubble megaton13 but I tried that and she just flat out said NO! And they are not interested in making any new hubs and or have any parts! maybe if we have get a couple of people interested in a group buy we can convince them into making some new ones! That really all depends on how many people we can get. You know money talks!!!
    So you really think you can find a few hundred people that need hubs for their Spin wheels?
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Did my first post give the idea that my wheels are broken?
    If that was the case I'm sorry, maybe I should have used different wording to describe my problem.
    Let me explain, my wheels are perfectly fine, I love them! My only problem, well, it's not a problem actually. The only thing that I'm not happy about is the fact that only one wheel (front) is enjoying the company of a disc break device.
    That's why I'd love to find a solution so the rear wheel can partake of the joy of modern disc breaking technology.
    I hate the noise that regular breaks cause on SPIN wheels.

Shiggy, I have no idea how many SPIN wheel' owners are out there, much less how many of them would like to upgrade theirs to disc breaks. One thing I know, as long as I own this pair I won't stop until I upgrade mine. If the cost of doing them is reasonable I'll gladly spend few hundred bucks of my money on getting it done.

Unfortunately I'm new at this forum.
    Hopefully little by little SPIN owners will find this thread sooner or later.
    If any of you know how to find out how many SPIN owners are out there and if they would be interested in upgrading, please show me the way, I'll do it. At least I'll try.

~Disc~Golf~
    No, but your 2nd, 3rd and this one does...

If that was the case I'm sorry, maybe I should have used different wording to describe my problem.
    Let me explain, my wheels are perfectly fine, I love them! My only problem, well, it's not a problem actually. The only thing that I'm not happy about is the fact that only one wheel (front) is enjoying the company of a disc break device.
    That's why I'd love to find a solution so the rear wheel can partake of the joy of modern disc breaking technology.

Shiggy, I have no idea how many SPIN wheel' owners are out there, much less how many of them would like to upgrade theirs to disc breaks. One thing I know, as long as I own this pair I won't stop until I upgrade mine. If the cost of doing them is reasonable I'll gladly spend few hundred bucks of my money on getting it done.

Unfortunately I'm new at this forum.
    Hopefully little by little SPIN owners will find this thread sooner or later.
    If any of you know how to find out how many SPIN owners are out there and if they would be interested in upgrading, please show me the way, I'll do it. At least I'll try.
    In the meantime get some disc compatible wheels that work. You have a long wait to modify your Spins. Those are the breaks.
    mtbtires.com

transmitter~receiver
    I think they're poking at you because you mis-spelled brakes. Brakes stop things, breaks mean stuff is broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    All those things you said about Spins are true. But for some weird reason, I miss mine. I got a set in '96 and kept them until '06 when I went to disc brakes. I still regret selling them. I know they were heavy, flexed like crazy, and rode like crap. But they were also nearly indestructible and since I rode GT's back then, fit the theme of the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    No there is no way to convert these wheels. They are no longer sold for a reason, they were heavy, harsh riding, and expensive. I recommend saving up for a good set of hand built disc wheels which will be far superior in ride quality and weight. Bicycle Wheel Warehouse has quality hand built wheels starting around $150.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    megton13 Im on the same mission! i just purchased a set. I had a trek Y22 10 years ago that was stolen, and Im trying to duplicated it! I have two other bikes, a hardtail cannondale and a FS jekyll, I just can never forget about that trek Y with the SPIN's. I too will not stop, no pun intended, until I can get disc's on those wheels! There no rhyme or reason for them, It's just an emotional thing! Here's some pix of my old Y with SPIN and disc that I had modified! So it can be done with enough time and money!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPIN wheels (not Spynergy) tri-spoke - Rear hub or freehub???????????????????????????-luigi-y22-01.jpg  

SPIN wheels (not Spynergy) tri-spoke - Rear hub or freehub???????????????????????????-luigi-y22-04.jpg  

Last edited by fastzcars; 12-30-2010 at 10:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    In my search I've found this, some of you guys might find it interesting . They look familiar don't they? even there hub design looks the same!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPIN wheels (not Spynergy) tri-spoke - Rear hub or freehub???????????????????????????-rw595m.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    

In my search I've found this, some of you guys might find it interesting . They look familiar don't they? even there hub design looks the same!
    An Asian knockoff? You are a bit light on the details.

Still a design that is more about style than function. But that is neither here nor there.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Nope! Right here in the good old u.s.a.! In fact they have 3 plants! They make wheels for honda's yard and garden division! The pix are the are products of there wheel chair/mobility divison. . Im trying to talk to them about getting a set without the hand rings and tiremonuted, since they mount a solid tire to the wheels they sell. That is all the info I can give for now. I don't want to " count my chickens etc..."when. I get more info ill post it here first

Nope! Right here in the good old u.s.a.! In fact they have 3 plants! They make wheels for honda's yard and garden division! The pix are the are products of there wheel chair/mobility divison. . Im trying to talk to them about getting a set without the hand rings and tiremonuted, since they mount a solid tire to the wheels they sell. That is all the info I can give for now. I don't want to " count my chickens etc..."when. I get more info ill post it here first
    And what will you do for hubs? Still no disc mounts, no free hub, no end caps for bicycles.
    mtbtires.com

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    And what will you do for hubs? Still no disc mounts, no free hub, no end caps for bicycles.

SHiggy, sometimes they just can't figure it out.

I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

~Disc~Golf~
    and it's just plain ugly

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Very funny Highdell and mtnbikej, I'm sure you guy's feel so much better! All i'm trying to do is provide information to others on this forum. In my line of work we don't have "problems". We are presented with challenges and we find solutions! but I see now that I'm in good company here!!!!! Have a great day gentlemen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast