mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Spengle MTB Crabon rear hub gone....

Hi,
    I have a set of Spengle MTB Carbon wheels. My rear wheel needs a Hub cassette 8 or 9.
    I was told that Spengle was a purchased by Xentis but this is not true and they can't help me. Anyone know of a fix or conversion for the rear hub? it's a campy which I think only Spengle made. I'm not sure If it can be replace all together or not but any help would be great. I hope the pictures are big enough to give you a good look.
    Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ebon knox
    Hi,
    I have a set of Spengle MTB Carbon wheels. My rear wheel needs a Hub cassette 8 or 9.
    I was told that Spengle was a purchased by Xentis but this is not true and they can't help me. Anyone know of a fix or conversion for the rear hub? it's a campy which I think only Spengle made. I'm not sure If it can be replace all together or not but any help would be great. I hope the pictures are big enough to give you a good look.
    Thank you
    Well I doubt a MTB wheelset would use a campy FH Body since it would not work with any Shimano or SRAM cassettes. A closer picture of the rear hub on the drive side might help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'll take a up close picture and post when I get home. I did find this post below. don't know if you can shed any light on the hub set used. goodle translate will turn it into english.
    http://forum.fiets.nl/topic.asp?page=1&TID=43736

sorry, this is new to me so I'm on a serious learning curve.
    thank you

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I'll take a up close picture and post when I get home. I did find this post below. don't know if you can shed any light on the hub set used. goodle translate will turn it into english.

thank you
    The external lock"ring" threads on the FH body tell me it is old. Likely a 6- or 7-speed as they used the smallest cog as the locking.

Time for a new wheel set.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Former Bike Wrench

thank you
    That looks identical to a Shimano Uniglide compatible Hyperglide FH body. It was not uncommon for old wheelsets to use Shimano freehub bodies back then. If that is the case, you should be able to put a 7 speed Shimano HG freehub body on then you can run either a 7 speed cassette (using 7 or 8 speed shifters) or run 8 gears off a 9 speed cassette using a 9 speed shifter.

Good Luck