Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Specialized Purgatory Control 2.4 v Specialized Butcher Control 2.3?

14K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  fruitafrank 
#1 ·
I currently have a 2.4 Purgatory Control on the front wheel. Thinking of changing to a Butcher Control 2.3. I've heard the Butcher isn't as fast rolling as the Purgatory. WOuld the reduction in size make the Butcher roll as well as the Purgatory?

#2 ·
I run the Butcher Control on the front. Great tire. I don't have any complaints about it's rolling resistance. It will probably be a bit smller than the 2.4 Purg. I can't imagine it will feel any slower. I run a 2.2 Purg. on the back and would recommend the Butcher for the front any day of the week.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm also contemplating this combo for my 5 Spot. 2.3 butcher in the front (haven't decided between Control or SX) and the Purgatory in the back. Is the 2.4 Purgatory noticeably bigger (or slower) than the 2.3 Butcher?

Will the 2.2 Purgatory hold up well to the beatings that a rear tire can take in rocks and square edge junk? This is my Super D bike so I can't afford pinch flats.... but I need it to be fast.

#6 ·
Yes, the 2.4 Purg is noticeably bigger than the 2.2.

I am running the Butcher 2.3 Control/Purgatory 2.2 Control on my Chili as my everyday tires. For what it is the 2.2 Purg is a great tire. I think it would be a great rear tire for your intended purpose. The side wall is pretty tough for its weight. With that being said I do notice some flex in the tire. It is definitely the week point in my rear end set up (Chili w/142 X 12 w/ flow rims).

For racing you might want to check out the Captain Control as well. It has the same casing as the Purg but should role faster. It actually feels a little more robust than my 2.2 Purg.

I am quickly becoming a fan of Specialized Tires. Tubeless is a breeze, they are decently priced, they have a good variety, their casing and sizing system is easy to follow.

#7 ·
Thanks G. I'm liking the looks of the Captain Control. Do you have any experience with the Armadillo casing. Looks like it would give me a little extra protection without adding much weight. Captain Control Armadillo Elite

Then pair it with the 2.3 Butcher Control for the front?

Or would the Purgatory or Eskar be a better match up front for the Captain out back? I definitely need a bigger, knobbier tread pattern for the loose, steep, downs up front.

#8 ·
No experience with the Armadillo casing, but it looks promising. A little more protection and softer compounds. Looks good.

I would go with the Butcher up front. I know you have experience with the Maxxis DHF and I think the Butcher is a similar tire. Personally a like the Butcher more than the DHF. It seems to transition a bit smoother.

#9 ·
I was running a 2.2 Purgatory Control on the back of my bike, tubeless, and I cut the sidewall within 2 months. I never really liked the tire, anyway. It never felt consistent at anything other than feeling inconsistent. I never rode the Butcher, but I love the Chunder and Ground Control tires.

#11 ·
I'm currently running 2.3 Butcher Controls front and rear, setup tubeless (730g and 750g, respectively, in case anyone cares). they are higher volume with smaller and more spaced out knobs (in the center and sideknobs) than 2.3 Minion DHFs and 2.3 LUST Highrollers. faster rolling than either of those tires with less cornering and braking traction and a much lighter casing than the LUST Highroller, about the same as the folding 2.3 DHF. it's been awhile since I've run Eskars, but I liked them well enough, good dry condition tire that cornered well and was pretty light and fast rolling.

I definitely recommend the Armadillo casing over the Control casing if you ride anything other than buff loamy trails. I'm worried that the Butchers won't hold up for tubeless use but I'm hoping that being diligent with tire pressure (nothing below 32 psi in the rear, 30-32 front) will protect me from the sidewall cuts and "pinch flats" that have plagued me running other Spec tires in the Control casing tubeless. so far so good, the Butcher's are nice all-around trail tires, a little less aggressive than I was expecting but faster rolling. if they turn out to be durable they'll get a full endorsement.

#13 ·
Yeah I just wish they'd expand their armadillo casing across more of their product line. Every control tire I've run in the back has died by sidewall seppuku. I had an Eskar armadillo that lasted 5 months, which is a record for me and rear tires. If they made the butcher in armadillo, it would be perfect imo.

#15 ·
I am completing a first for me:

Rear tire tread wearing out on a converted tubeless tire.
2 years(!), rear tire, FastTrack Armadillo 2.2 (hard 70a center) 680g
1 small cut on a cased high speed jump onto a sharp rock, & 1 small hole.

My point: Armadillo for longevity.

(2 years out of front Armadillo Eskar too, just got a small cut, again, jump into sharp boneyard)

P

#17 ·
2.2 Ground Control? I thought they came in 2.1 and 2.3:confused:

The butcher control is slightly undersized compared to some other tires out there these days, but I have found it to be an AWESOME front tire for it's weight (mine is ~775g).

#19 ·
I just bought a pair of 2.3 Butcher Controls to run front and rear tubeless. I know most people like a thinner tire in the back but I usually run the same so I can rotate and it works out. I've never tried a thinner on the rear. I got the Butchers %15 off so that was nice. I didn't know the weight until I got home and they are rated as AM/DH tires on the packaging. I was happy to see these are only 730g! I like to keep my All Mountain bike light since I do a lot of front range stuff. I'll be mounting the Butcher's up soon and will report back.

I was coming from Eskar Control 2.3 setup tubeless front/rear which I liked a lot once I have them setup tubeless. The sidewalls are kind of weak but they did great for me and where only 700g and $50. I also have the huge 2.4 Purgatory Controls on my other Cross country bike that I used for DH at the the resorts. They handle the resort riding well for me!

I was also checking out tires with the Armadillo casing and it does look promising. I run my setup with Stans. I've ridden Maxxis and like their tires but the ingitor and high roller are pricey and I think a little heavy.

#20 ·
I still can't figure out why my 2.2 Captain Control is wider than my 2.3 Butcher Control. Went to LBS today and grabbed one of each. Folded, bead to bead the Butcher is wider. Mounted on a rim the Captain has a wider contact patch. Maybe a stiffer sidewall?

#21 ·
Purgatory vs Butcher

The local shop that sells specy doesn't recc. the Purgatory tire. The shop riders all ride the Butcher or Eskar and the Captain for the back. The Purgatory looks beefy but the word is that it lets go without warning in corners or just doesn't grip well period. Several riders mentioned this but I have not tried the Purgatory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.