mtbr member

Specialized Clutch 2.5 SX,anyone running this up front?

i picked up the specialized clutch 2.5 sx to run upfront since i liked the 2.3 control version so much. specialized didn't make a 2.5 control version so i opted to save some weight off the DH 2.5 version and get the 2.5 sx. i've had a problem with the tire wanting to fold over if i run it at or less than 35psi. i run my 2.3 clutch controls at 25-30psi and they are awesome. but at 30psi the 2.5 clutch sx "wobbles" on my rim by just pushing on it side to side. the rims are 28mm wide on the outside (forte xenduro wheels) so i figure they are wide enough to handle the tire. anyone else experiencing this with the clutch 2.5 sx tire. there is still a lot of tread left so i'd had to toss these for a DH 2.5 version just yet. guess i'll run them at 35-38psi until they wear a bit more

I'm with stupid
    I have run the the 2.3 sx on the front and liked it alot. That 2.5 is a pretty big tire for those wheels. Im thinking they are just a bit to wide to be stable at low pressures. The specialized 2.5 is like maxxis 2.7 nice and big. I say just run a few pounds more and give them hell till they are done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I have run the the 2.3 sx on the front and liked it alot. That 2.5 is a pretty big tire for those wheels. Im thinking they are just a bit to wide to be stable at low pressures. The specialized 2.5 is like maxxis 2.7 nice and big. I say just run a few pounds more and give them hell till they are done.
    I like your thinking hitechredneck. i'll run them at 38psi and beat on them til they're done. i may give the 2.5 DH version a try after to see if the sidewall flex less than the SX...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ocguy2004 View Post
    i picked up the specialized clutch 2.5 sx to run upfront since i liked the 2.3 control version so much. specialized didn't make a 2.5 control version so i opted to save some weight off the DH 2.5 version and get the 2.5 sx. i've had a problem with the tire wanting to fold over if i run it at or less than 35psi. i run my 2.3 clutch controls at 25-30psi and they are awesome. but at 30psi the 2.5 clutch sx "wobbles" on my rim by just pushing on it side to side. the rims are 28mm wide on the outside (forte xenduro wheels) so i figure they are wide enough to handle the tire. anyone else experiencing this with the clutch 2.5 sx tire. there is still a lot of tread left so i'd had to toss these for a DH 2.5 version just yet. guess i'll run them at 35-38psi until they wear a bit more
    Not to sidetrack the thread, but do you know how wide the 2.3 control is? I've been seriously thinking about getting one of these for the front of my bike. How does it compare to some of the other tires you have used up front?
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Not to sidetrack the thread, but do you know how wide the 2.3 control is? I've been seriously thinking about getting one of these for the front of my bike. How does it compare to some of the other tires you have used up front?
    the 2.3 clutch control is a wide tire. as wide as maxxis 2.5 tires. i like the control casing since it's a bit stronger than the sx casing and the control casing in tubeless-ready. they say the sx isn't tubeless ready but i suppose the sealant would take care of that. i was gonna try it with my 2.5 clutch sx tire, but since i have to run it at 38psi anyway i'll just use the tube. i run the 2.3 clutch control upfront at 28-30psi...sometimes even less. nice tire, good grip and cornering. i like it better than the kenda nevegal, lighter too i believe. have also run the specialized purgatory upfront. didnt care for it. not good in the corners. i moved it to the rear and it's worked well there. purgatory tires seem thinner in the sidewalls, even though it's the control casing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Suggest the Purgatory as a better front tyre than the Control. FWIW.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hostilemonk View Post
    Suggest the Purgatory as a better front tyre than the Control. FWIW.
    You mean the Purgatory is a better front tire than the Clutch?
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    every has their own opinion. having used both upfront myself, i prefer the clutch upfront over the purgatory. for me, much better grip with the clutch when cornering.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by ocguy2004 View Post
    every has their own opinion. having used both upfront myself, i prefer the clutch upfront over the purgatory. for me, much better grip with the clutch when cornering.
    I second this as well. The sticky style rubber of the clutch gives it a clear advantage in my book.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Nope my bad, was commenting on kapusta's message - meant Purgatory is a better front tyre than the Control IMO. But as pointed out many times by others it depends on the type of surface you are on. Here in West Australia we have a thing called Pea gravel. This is basically pea sized ball bearing shaped gravel over hard pack. Grip is about the lowest of anywhere (according to World Rally competitors, the worst) and you need an agressive tread to cut through the gravel, otherwise the tyre can just sit on top of the gravel with little grip. And a narrow tyre may be better than a 'fat' tyre.

See what people at the pointy end are using in YOUR area on YOUR tracks. As long as they are not sponsored for tyres then the betting is their tyres are appropriate/good for that area. Alternatively look at what people are using who travel at YOUR pace, with a riding style similar to YOURS, on YOUR tracks and try those. If you are a 'gentle' rider not hitting anything hard a thinner tyre wall may be acceptale, if you hit rocks etc. hard then thicker walls may be needed.

There are far too many tyres out there to try them all so some way of reducing the selection field is needed other than $. So look what people are using succesfully on your tracks and go with those. This of coursse doesn't allow new tyres to get a look in for some time. But if you want to experiment then the field is wide open.

Beware of absolutist claims that tyre Specaxxalbe flyer 2.9 is The Best Tyre Ever - aint no such thing as TBTE.

HTH.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Control is the lighter - weaker casing with harder compound .

SX is beefier with softer compound .

The Interweb is a fuzzy place ;-)