mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Special__Ed Eskar 2.3 with a puncture out of the box

So I ordered a Specialized Eskar 2.3 UST to replace my now flat Conti Vertical 2.3 UST as part of my repair project on my XCL. I threw it on the XM819 tonight after work and got it to air up after about 3 tries, looked good, up to 50psi. I took the pump off of the valve and what do you know, hissssssssss. A pin sized hole in the sidewall right out of the box. It's a very small hole and it hasn't lost any psi (as read by my pump's pressure meter - not the most accurate indication i'm sure) in the two hours since I aired it up, even though I can hear the hissing and feel a tiny amount of air shooting through the hole. So I'm wondering what the best course of action is?

A. Screw it, it will stay aired up for a ride (hopefully).
    B. Patch it, even though Spesh UST tires aren't supposed to be patched.
    C. Get some Stan's and hope it seals.
    D. B and C together (best bet I'd guess).
    or E. Send it back with a photocopy of my middle finger and go buy a Nevegal 2.1 UST locally.

This repair process is frustrating, I can't seem to buy a break. I'd really like to try the tire, it has been reviewed very well, and it is fairly light for a UST 2.3.

Any words of wisdom from those with more experience with UST tires and the like?

beer is good
    Eskar is not a true UST, but a "tubeless ready" tire that you must use a sealant to run
    as tubeless.
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the heads up, but I'd appreciate it if you helped me with the dilemma instead of pointing things like that out. The bead seals 100% fine without sealant. The problem is the puncture.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    umm-he did help you with your dilemna. Put stans in it! "2bliss" tires will always leak air without sealant. Stans should patch a pinhole right up.

No, that's not phonetic
    Exaclty what Nels and dwyooaj said. You do NOT have UST tires. Period. You have "tubeless ready" (read as: normal, non-tubeless tires) that require sealant to be run as tubeless. The reason it requires sealant is because the sidewalls are porous and will not hold air without the sealant. The only part of the Speshy tires that is claimed to be "UST" is the bead, which is supposed to play nicely with UST rim profiles. If you get lucky and happen to run one of Speshy's heavier 2Bliss tires, like the discontinued Enduro Pro, it may work without sealant. The lighter tires, no way.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the help. Time for some Stan's.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I run a real UST Kenda Negeval and still toss a scoop of stans in. Not that I need it to air up, but those thorns are pesky...

I know you dont want to hear this, but I switched away from the Eskar because it lack tranision knobbies. It has this weird grip slip grip feeling.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Deere Rider
    You can seal a troublesome hole in tubless tires with superglue and a toothpick. Let all the air out of the tire, dab a bit of glue on the toothpick, stick it in the hole and twist it around a bit, do this a couple of times, pull it out and let the tire sit overnight with no pressure (may not even need the overnight thing...not sure on the ideal time for the glue to set up in the tire). I run Specialized TR tires with Stans but have had some punctures large enough that I went the superglue route with excellent results for a permanent fix. If you run sealant you need to clean the hole out a bit for the glue to stick.