mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Spank Spike 350 Vibrocore: Anyone else on them yet?

Just wanted to start a thread because there aren't any reviews yet. I had a wheel built up with the rims, Sram 900 Hubs, Dt Swiss Champion Dbl butted spokes, 32 hole. Due to work, have only had one ride on them and it was mostly flow trail/bike park stuff. The previous wheelset was a Roval Travese Aluminum wheelset with same branded hubs, 29mm internal width. Here are my thoughts:

Looks: The rims look greet to me! This is my 3rd set of Spank Rims and they all have had a quality appearance. Only thing I don't like is the vibrocore graphic but it's not took bad.

Tubeless setup: Had the LBS set them up tubeless. The shop used gorilla tape and the tires didn't stay inflated overnight. The shop then used some Specialized and Orange tubeless tape and the tires have been fine tubeless since. I noticed was that the same tires (Specialized Butcher/Slaughter 2.3's) from the previous wheelset appeared to have more volume but measured out the same.

Ride quality: The wheels felt much stiffer than the previous wheelset (Rovals were 24F/28R. Maybe this is due to the increased spoke count. over roots and rocks it felt like the vibrocore foam muted the bumps, roots, rock and drops. I was on my 160 travel bike but there was a pronounced difference. I weigh about 230 geared up and on my 2-4 foot drops the landings had more of a "thud" sound which took some getting used to.

Overall: I think these rims will be great. I hope to take them out this week to more rocky terrain to see they fare. I am really looking forward to hearing other people's experiences with these rims!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Also interested in the 350s. Specifically the non-vibrocore, but also curious about its effects. Seems more suited for dh park duty?

But, I am very keen on the non-vib 350s as a trail-duro (I don't race, but fast is fun) rim, being lighter than the 345, and yet stiffer?

Feedback on how they have been holding up (both versions) is welcome!
    '18 Guerilla Gravity Smash 140/150 29"
    '05 Giant Reign 150/130 26"

I'm with stupid
    matches these with cushcore and a 11-6 and you will be able to smash anything and not feel it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rotax7 View Post
    Also interested in the 350s. Specifically the non-vibrocore, but also curious about its effects. Seems more suited for dh park duty?

But, I am very keen on the non-vib 350s as a trail-duro (I don't race, but fast is fun) rim, being lighter than the 345, and yet stiffer?

Feedback on how they have been holding up (both versions) is welcome!
    I wasn't aware when I ordered them that the Vibro 350's were meant for FR/DH/Park. I've been waiting for the release since the announcement and ordered form the first place that had them in stock! I also had been debating getting carbon rims but decided this may be a good enough alternative for me. I'm not a hucker or aggressive rider but I like to ride over obstacles so I figured a little foam couldn't hurt.

mtbr member
    I’ve got the standard non-vibracore 350 rim on order for my rear wheel on my Knolly. Looks like a sweet rim and decent weight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Got an email from Jenson advertising a discount on Spank and saw these rims listed - I hadn't seen them released yet and obviously missed this thread! I've always wanted to try Spank rims (had been looking at Oozy 345 before these). Weight is competitive for a strong 30mm internal rim with or without foam... and seriously 50g when you're going to run 1kg tires? I'll be curious to hear how you guys get on with them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    So far so good for me! Definitely takes the sting out of the trail. I'm actually running a higher PSI than I used to and it's still a smoother ride, even on my hardtail. I also have the Oozy Trail 395+ for my 27.5 build. No issues with them. Part of what motivated to do a new wheel build with Spank rims. Let us know if you get the rims or wheelset Crimedog!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just picked up my Spank Oozy 350 (non-vibracore) rims yesterday. They look great! Even came with a sticker and rim strip (for non-tubeless use). Weighed in a 510g without rim strip. When my I9 hubs arrive I'll build these up.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I also am interested in these wheels. If they do in fact, take the sting out of rough and choppy trails, I’ll consider ordering a set. And they’re competitively priced. Spank wheels are known for being super tough. Everyone I know that has the older models love them. And they look really good.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.
    GG BAMF - Eastern NC

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I got my Spank 350 (non-vibro) wheelset from CoCyclist last week. While I haven't used them, nor have a bike to put them on yet, I'm very excited to try them out. CC was great to work with via email. Hope hubs, silver spokes-really like how they turned out. Just need to add a bike and I'll provide some feedback.Spank Spike 350 Vibrocore: Anyone else on them yet?-p_20180413_212142_vhdr_auto.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I got my Spank 350 (non-vibro) wheelset from CoCyclist last week. While I haven't used them, nor have a bike to put them on yet, I'm very excited to try them out. CC was great to work with via email. Hope hubs, silver spokes-really like how they turned out. Just need to add a bike and I'll provide some feedback.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20180413_212142_vHDR_Auto.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	1193482
    Do you have a weight for the wheelset, 29” by the looks of it. Similar wheels to want I want to build for a future bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I just picked up a set of the non-vibrio Spank 350 from Cycle Wheels USA as well. Went with Hope Pro 4 hubs. Popped some tires on there last night with zero problems. Haven’t had a chance to ride them yet but they seem every bit of quality as previous Spank rims I’ve owned. Looking forward to seeing how they do in the Trail.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny View Post
    Do you have a weight for the wheelset, 29” by the looks of it.
    29" Spank 350 (non-vibrocore), Hope 4 hubs, SRAM, tubeless rim tape, tubeless valve stems:

2.14# rear
    2.12# front

4.26# wheelset

I'm quite happy with that. Was actually a bit boggled by the lack of difference between front and rear. This is with NO cassette, NO discs, NO thru axles.

These should be quite a bit lighter than my 'cheap' 26er wheels that I'm currently on. Bit more weight in rubber for the 29s, but should still be similar once ready to ride.

Spank Spike 350 Vibrocore: Anyone else on them yet?-spank-350-front-weight.jpgSpank Spike 350 Vibrocore: Anyone else on them yet?-spank-350-rear-weight.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    29" Spank 350 (non-vibrocore), Hope 4 hubs, SRAM, tubeless rim tape, tubeless valve stems:

2.14# rear
    2.12# front

4.26# wheelset

I'm quite happy with that. Was actually a bit boggled by the lack of difference between front and rear. This is with NO cassette, NO discs, NO thru axles.

These should be quite a bit lighter than my 'cheap' 26er wheels that I'm currently on. Bit more weight in rubber for the 29s, but should still be similar once ready to ride.
    Thanks, not bad for an alloy 29er wheelset, currently on 26” Spank Oozys, fantastic rims. Will definetly look at these when the time comes.

mtbr member
    How is it to mount and dismount tires on the Spike/Oozy 350 rims? Any more or less difficult than a standard drop center rim with a deeper center channel?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I just did my first ride in the non vibro 350 and I was quite pleased. They give a very compliant ride is the best way I can put it. Stiff but seem to help absorb some of the chatter. Of course, tire choice and pressure are going to play into that as well however.

As for mounting tires, I wouldn’t say it’s more difficult it’s just a little different. Instead of one Channel there’s twos you just want to make sure the bead sits in the channel on the side you’re working on. In some ways I think it makes inflating the tire easier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Just a quick update. I have now ridden my Vibrocore rims on 2 FS bikes (aluminum & carbon) and a carbon hardtail. These rims are awesome! On the FS it feels like I am cheating. Rocks, roots, trail chatter are barely noticeable. You know it's there but it doesn't jar you. My hands and arms aren't as sore after rides. The hard tail is a little different obviously, but the vibrations/chatter is still reduced. I don't have a direct comparison to carbon, but my wheels feel stiff and I am holding my lines compared to previous wheels. Oh, and they look pretty sweet too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spank Spike 350 Vibrocore: Anyone else on them yet?-webp.net-resizeimage.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Anyone work with Spank on warranty issues? Just mounted up a brand new Oozy 295+ wheel set, and the rear rim is notably out of true, and seems to be splitting at the theoretically welded seam. Just put a claim in.

mtbr member

2.14# rear
    2.12# front

4.26# wheelset
    1) Any updates?
    2) What spokes / nipples are you running?
    3) Are the graphics removable stickers, or non-removable water slide / etched?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I laced up mine last night. Oozy 350 (non-vibrocore), Wheelsmith double butted spokes, wheelsmith brass nipples, 32 holes, laced 3x to Industry Nine Torch Boost hubs.

Front: 899g
    Rear: 1015g
    Wheelset: 1914g (without valves or tape)

The rim quality is impressive, the graphics are etched and not removable.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    ^ Thanks!!

mtbr member
    I got oozy 350 from Colorado cyclist. Dt Swiss hubs. Bontrager se5 tires. Around the yard on 2-3 foot drops much better then stock duster elite wheels. Excited to get them on a real ride though this weekend. Love the low profile to them. Hopefully they stay nice and true. Prior reviews said they are strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk