mtbr member

Spank Oozy Trail 295 vs. Hope Pro 2 Evo / Flow EX wheelset

I'm looking for a sturdy but not too heavy 650B wheelset for trail riding. If you shop smart, either of these wheelsets could be had for around $500. Kind of torn between the two.

Things drawing me to the Oozy are the rave reviews it's been getting, the straight pull spokes, wider 25mm inner width, and cool rim features I've never tried (oobah and bead bite). Turnoffs are that it's 28H (I think the extra strength provided by 4 more spokes is worth the weight penalty), non-welded rims, and it has generic hubs probably made by Formula or Novatec.

Things drawing me to the Hope/Stan's combo are the awesome Hope hubs with 40pt engagement, 32 spokes, and proven, welded Flow EX rims. Turnoffs are the J-bend spokes (Hope apparently makes straight pull hubs but I've never seen them in stock anywhere on a 650B wheelset). Not that there's anything wrong with J bend spokes, I just think straight pull looks cool and makes sense from an enginering standpoint, and I've just always wanted to try them out.

I like the Hope hubs better and the Spank rims better. I could get a custom build with that combo, but that would run $700.
    Any thoughts on this dilemma, or other wheelsets in the $500 range to consider?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'll be following this thread, as I've been contemplating similar set ups. The way things are shaking out for me will be Hope Pro 2 hub in the front, BHS rear hub, oozy 295 rim. With all the right coupons, could be sub $500 before the build. Not sure what spokes would be ideal for a wheel like this.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Any feedback on the SPANK OOZY 295 hoops ?

mtbr member
    Not from me, I found a Hope Hoops wheelset (Hope Pro II Evo Straight Pull hubs and Flow EX rims) and decided to go that route.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    I used a pair of the rims to build up a wheelset for my rigid 29er. Love them so far. Easy Gorilla tape tubeless set up. Just a thin strip over the spoke holes. I mounted 2 brand new Racing Ralphs and a Conti X King by hand without any soapy water or anything.

I run lowish pressures and bang the rims on rocks & roots every ride and after 5 or 6 weeks of riding they havent shown any damage. No burps or pressure loss. So far so good.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I almost always buy stuff online. When upgrading wheels recently though I ended up getting hope evo 2, wtb kom, sapim laser wheels from my lbs and spent about $700 out the door. I could've saved $100+ getting mail order wheels but the peace of mind buying wheels I can get fixed /trued for almost nothing 5 minutes from home won out.

Ive built my own in the past but just don't have the time to deal anymore, the time I do scrape out is to ride. Spending a couple bucks with the lbs helped me establish a good relationship with a shop I can depend on and they lend a ton of help/support when I walk in.

Hope hubs have been super solid, like the rims as well, tubeless with ust tires was ezpz. Ive owned a number of ck hubs in the past, hope for now work as a good poor man's alternative. Long term durability is a? of course.

Chris Bling
    I have a set of the Oozy 295's that I built up for my Yelli. I have been very impressed with them and have been running very low psi. For only 495 grams each for a 29er rim, they are among the lightest-widest rims out there currently. I couldn't be happier with the build. I used double butted spokes and alloy nips and Hope hubs. They are becoming my go-to rim for the light-wide combo.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    where at? and how much??? I am looking for the same wheelset but in 26"

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Keep posting about oozy 295

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
    where at? and how much??? I am looking for the same wheelset but in 26"
    I'm also looking for these hoops in 26, blue.

mtbr member
    I'm also looking for these hoops in 26, blue.
    Cycle Sports UK MTB | Road | Tri | Outdoor Pursuits. $547 including 20mm front adapter and 142x12 rear adapter. UPS charged me a $28 customs brokerage fee when they delivered them.

Chris Bling
    Here is a pic of my setup as my bike sits right now with the Spank 295's

Spank Oozy Trail 295 vs. Hope Pro 2 Evo / Flow EX wheelset-10523169_1463595620563579_6000242840383093795_o.jpg
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the info everyone, and the pictures. I am thinking about blue Chris
    King hubs with blue Oozy 295 rims. The blue anodized look very different from these companies. But I may go with it.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    No burping (with HR2's), low pressures, nothing but abuse and they are round, true and dingless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    I used a pair of the rims to build up a wheelset for my rigid 29er. Love them so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    I have a set of the Oozy 295's that I built up for my Yelli. I have been very impressed with them and have been running very low psi. For only 495 grams each for a 29er rim, they are among the lightest-widest rims out there currently.
    Do either of y'all remember if the ERD's came in close the listed ERD? (591mm for 29er)
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Do either of y'all remember if the ERD's came in close the listed ERD? (591mm for 29er)
    bump
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+

mtbr member
    Welp, rim got here today. Glad I didn't order spokes. Seems they measure ERD like LB does.

My 29er rim measures to have an ERD of 594.5-595. Which is actually wonderful because it means I can do a simple rim swap and not have to worry with relacing the spokes to the hub.

Weight for bare 29er rim is 499g (490g claimed)

This is a great looking rim. Nice and lght with strong looking sidewalls. Hats off to Spank!
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+