nvphatty

Spank Oozy 395+ trail rims

Just received a pr today, 35i, 32 hole 580g each with lazer etched grafix.

Spank Oozy 395+ trail rims-dscn1819.jpg
    Last edited by nvphatty; 05-06-2016 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added pic

Short-Change-Hero
    Very nice... post up some pics.
    With 35mm internal that would make them what like 42mm external? What are these going on and whats the buildup going to look like?

Braaap
    Spank has 540 grams published for the 27.5" Oozy Trail 395+. Is your weight with or without the included rim strip?

Edit*
    My Oozy Trail 345 weighs in at 500g versus the listed 480g (no rim strip).
    Disappointing since the Flow MK3 claims 480g as well, but I have yet to see a verified weight.
    Last edited by DirtMerchantBicycles; 05-06-2016 at 01:32 PM.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Very nice... post up some pics.
    With 35mm internal that would make them what like 42mm external? What are these going on and whats the buildup going to look like?
    haha just as you were posting i was adding the pic. They will be my alternate wheelset for the heckler that currently has 26+.....so a ++ bike without boost.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post
    Spank has 540 grams published for the 27.5" Oozy Trail 395+. Is your weight with or without the included rim strip?

I have a Oozy Trail 345 that I'll weigh up shortly.
    I have no scale to weigh. I used the claimed weight per the rim tag so it could certainly be more or less.

Short-Change-Hero
    Not bad... where did you get them and how much? Only place I have seen them listed so far was on Universal Cycles (which had them out of stock) but showed as $99/ea, I think.

nvphatty
    Not bad... where did you get them and how much? Only place I have seen them listed so far was on Universal Cycles (which had them out of stock) but showed as $99/ea, I think.
    From the US dist Gravity Cartel in vancouver, Wa. WWW.thegravitycartel.com

greg aren't you located in CC??

Rocks belong
    Here's what Spank originally reported:

Spank Oozy 395+ trail rims-p5pb12618378.jpg
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Earlier published weights are 540g for the 27.5 but the tag that came with my 395+ states 580g, so I'm assuming that the published weights will be 580g once they're actually in stock at the usual places.

I just got a pair of them today and they are both 584g without rim strip. Beautiful, beautiful rims, but a little heavier than I was expecting.

The original plan was to go with the 345s but then I saw some of the Minion DHF 2.5 WT on the rim and decided to go wide to take advantage of the different tire profile and the total lack of roll of the tire on the rim with lower pressures (21psi). Grip and security should be epic with ProCore.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Obligatory scale shot

Spank Oozy 395+ trail rims-20160506_172916-small-.jpg

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by henkster View Post
    Earlier published weights are 540g for the 27.5 but the tag that came with my 395+ states 580g, so I'm assuming that the published weights will be 580g once they're actually in stock at the usual places.
    yup we both have the same.

Braaap
    Ha, I had to dig through the trash to find the tag. You are correct, Spank has updated the weights on their tags. 27.5" Oozy Trail 345 tag shows 520g, I measured 500g.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    From the US dist Gravity Cartel in vancouver, Wa. WWW.thegravitycartel.com

greg aren't you located in CC??
    Yup. In CC where are you?

nvphatty
    Yup. In CC where are you?
    reno/sparks area. I vaguely recalled due to the nevada sub forum a couple yrs ago.

Rocks belong
    What's the actual inside width on these?

The pic I posted above shows 33.5mm... I've read anywhere from 32.5-35mm.

The pic above also has the Spike Race33 as 30.5mm internal and every store selling it says 28.5mm internal.

mtbr member
    My caliper say 35mm..

hope it helps...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spank Oozy 395+ trail rims-20160523_192759_resized.jpg  

2016 Ragley Mmmbop 27.5

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    What's the actual inside width on these?
    i35 stated on tag and measured.

Rocks belong
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Anybody tried running 27.5+ tyre on this rim? ( NN 2.8 or even 3 )
    I like to see pic
    2016 Ragley Mmmbop 27.5

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by microbike View Post
    Anybody tried running 27.5+ tyre on this rim? ( NN 2.8 or even 3 )
    I like to see pic
    yes that's my exact planned setup but will be another week, maybe more for the wheel build.

Short-Change-Hero
    reno/sparks area. I vaguely recalled due to the nevada sub forum a couple yrs ago.
    Ah ok... I remembered your name but thought you were down south for some reason. Will have to hook up once you get the new wheels built up. I have not done much exploring at Peavine but need to, hell I am there every Wednesday for softball and figure for the late games I can get a good ride in beforehand.

mtbr member
    yes that's my exact planned setup but will be another week, maybe more for the wheel build.
    Any luck/progress on your wheel build.hope pics coming soon..
    2016 Ragley Mmmbop 27.5

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm trying to find out if this oozy trail line is a sturdy rim or just a light rim. Any thoughts or experience on the durability of this rim? I had been planning on getting a set of Velocity Blunt 35's because it seems like those are rock solid, whereas some of the lighter Blunt rims are getting dinged up easily by several riders.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by microbike View Post
    Any luck/progress on your wheel build.hope pics coming soon..
    was a bit off my game due to some health issues but the build will happen tomorrow morning and will share.

Quote Originally Posted by ETChipotle View Post
    I'm trying to find out if this oozy trail line is a sturdy rim or just a light rim. Any thoughts or experience on the durability of this rim? I had been planning on getting a set of Velocity Blunt 35's because it seems like those are rock solid, whereas some of the lighter Blunt rims are getting dinged up easily by several riders.
    Even though i own a pr I can't speak to their durability and frankly may not be able to even after some rides as my riding isn't aggressive by any means. At 520g per they are the lighter of the two rim sets but there must be both heavier/lighter rims in this size range.

mtbr member
    I had Blunt35's and 2nd season my rear started cracking around the spoke holes and taking dings pretty easily. I've got a few months on my Trail295's and not a single issue yet.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

nvphatty

ooooooozy time

was a bit off my game due to some health issues but the build will happen tomorrow morning and will share.
    Ok at last the wheelset is complete.

Spank Oozy 395+ trail rims (i35mm)
    Schwalbe NN 2.8s 67tpi KNOB-KNOB =68mm/ 2.7(fresh mount)
    CASING = 67mm/2.64
    BB= 13
    White Industry XMR hubs 15x100 & 12x142 purple ano
    Sapim race spokes
    Centerline rotors
    XT cassette

Spank Oozy 395+ trail rims-dscn1871.jpgSpank Oozy 395+ trail rims-dscn1874.jpgSpank Oozy 395+ trail rims-dscn1875.jpgSpank Oozy 395+ trail rims-dscn1879.jpgSpank Oozy 395+ trail rims-dscn1870.jpg
    Last edited by nvphatty; 11-22-2016 at 07:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The Oozy Trail line is solid and stiff. They're the only decently light aluminum rim that myself and my other wheel smashing friends haven't broken on our trail bikes. We've destroyed every Stan's rim, WTB's entire KOM line, tons of Suns, DT Swiss, and many others in well under a season of riding. One of those friends spent a few weeks in BC riding the Island, the Shore, Squamish, and Whistler on his Oozy 295 rims and he only needed to do a minor touch-up on his back wheel after the vacation. He was pretty impressed with how strong they were and how well they held up.

nvphatty
    I doubt i'll ever use/abuse mine to be concerned with dings, dents or failure so that's good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks for the replies! I'm liking the green

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    How is the clearance on the rear on your 5010? That is a v1 5010 I assume. Also are you using a boost forkk?

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Averbuks View Post
    How is the clearance on the rear on your 5010? That is a v1 5010 I assume. Also are you using a boost fork?
    to whom are you asking???

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Months-old thread I'm replying to, but I'm about to buy a green pair of the 395-plus rims and thought I'd ask about where I might get a good price on a pair, and about the tubeless burp-resistance, if anyone can help out.
    Currently I'm using up a solid supply of 27.5x2.3" Vigilante tires, but the sidewalls and tread profile are both suffering with the tires mounted on crazy i51mm rims.
    So far I've found the 395-plus at around $90ea., was hoping that might drop after the peak of the season.
    Still recovering from my recent fork upgrade spendage, was money well spent though, and the tire tread at least seems to wear really well on the plus-plus rims that I have.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    From what I've seen all year, the Oozy 395+ have been in real demand and on backorder for a lot of the time. While the Spike Race 28s and Oozy Trail 295 are falling out of favor (as they're a little narrower than the current trend) and can be found discounted I don't think you'll find the Oozy 345 or 395+ at anything other than MSRP for quite a while yet as retailers have higher demand than supply. They'd be nuts to discount something that they can barely keep in stock

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Just a quick update, with a week at Whistler and a full season at Northstar bike park under them, my Oozy 395s (on Hope Pro II Evo, Sapim Race spokes, Procore, Minion DHF 2.5 WT) are absolutely perfectly round and true. I'm on my 2nd M16 carbon frame of the season, so they've been through some pretty hard times.

I even built them with alloy nipples as I'm pretty lucky to get through a season without a rebuild, so I generally consider wheels as a consumable. This will be the first time I've been through a season and have complete confidence that they'll get through another. When the wheel starts to go then I'm pretty confident at this point that it'll be from the nipples failing rather than something else.

Best rims I've ever owned, (and I've been racing since '91)

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by dddd View Post
    Months-old thread I'm replying to, but I'm about to buy a green pair of the 395-plus rims and thought I'd ask about where I might get a good price on a pair, and about the tubeless burp-resistance, if anyone can help out.
    Currently I'm using up a solid supply of 27.5x2.3" Vigilante tires, but the sidewalls and tread profile are both suffering with the tires mounted on crazy i51mm rims.
    So far I've found the 395-plus at around $90ea., was hoping that might drop after the peak of the season.
    Still recovering from my recent fork upgrade spendage, was money well spent though, and the tire tread at least seems to wear really well on the plus-plus rims that I have.
    not sure where you might find favorable pricing but keep searching. Never hurts to contact Spank directly and see what they might offer. I was in way early(before distribution) and negotiated a very favorable price. Yea that setup is asking a lot from a 2.35 tire thats for sure. No experience with tubeless as i run TOOBS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks for the replies, glad to know how tough the Spanks are since I will be trying pressures down around 20psi, tubeless. I currently pinch tubes if I run lower than 25psi, though I used to run 16psi with same-sized OEM (very thick and heavy) tires which had tubes in them! I have over 800 miles already on my x-wide rims, and they are heavy but have proven very durable.

nvphatty
    dddd were you able to acquire a pr??

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    dddd were you able to acquire a pr??
    I sure did. Had my LBS order a pair in green, came in at under $200 with tax, and weigh 580g each, with tape, exactly.

I funded my purchase by building up a fancy LB/King 40mm carbon wheelset for a buddy, so I will be measuring up my own hubs next, and then buying the spokes. The ERD that is printed on these 395+ rims ("553.5mm") is for where the nipples seat on the rim wall, but the spoke-end ERD is at least 3mm bigger than that, I come up with 557mm up to the bottoms of the nipple slots, which I will use with the UBI online spoke length calculator.

My rims came into the shop quickly, so they seem to be in stock now.
    And BTW, the LB carbon 40mm all-mountain rims weighed in at 460g each, same 40mm outside width as these Spank 395 rims.

nvphatty
    outstanding!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    outstanding!!
    Thanks, nvphatty! Gotta say that you have what looks like a $mart build going on with that Heckler! I still remember having never learned how to ride downhill confidently UNTIL I bought my '99 Hecktaculer (w/105mm Z-1 fork) BTW, just sayin'.

I should also share what I learned about the ERD measurement of the LB carbon rims:
    Unlike the Spank rims that have a printed ERD dimension that comes up about 3.5mm short (for a spoke-end value), the LB rims have an ERD dimension on the rim decal that is about 5mm LARGER than what I have carefully (using two different methods) measured!
    LB gives 545mm as the ERD for this All-Mountain version of their 40mm (outside measure) rim, but I measure no bigger than 540mm out to the bottom of the nipple slots, and the build-up confirmed that my measurement was correct.

And they did ship identical front and rear rims, both with some spoke angle offset, even though I built with front and rear King Boost hubs that have symmetric (centered) flanges on the front hub. I emailed them about this and they confirmed that is ok/intentional, so it seems this rim is simply made to a single standard of spoke hole angle offset, used for both wheels (even for boost front hubs).

mtbr member
    My Spank 395+ wheelbuild, DT Swiss Competition Spokes, DT Swiss 16mm Brass Nipples, Chris King Silver Hubs 142x12/15x100 non-boost, Fratelli tubeless tape...Spank Oozy 395+ trail rims-ck-silver-spank-95-_3.jpgSpank Oozy 395+ trail rims-ck-silver-spank-395-_1.jpgSpank Oozy 395+ trail rims-ck-silver-spank-395-_2.jpgSpank Oozy 395+ trail rims-ck-silver-spank-395-_4.jpgSpank Oozy 395+ trail rims-ck-silver-spank395-_2.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	CK Silver with Spank 95+_3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	1188062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CK Silver with Spank 395+ _1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	1188063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CK Silver with Spank 395+ _2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	1188064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CK Silver with Spank 395+ _4.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	1188065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CK Silver with Spank395+ _2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	1188066

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Sorry if I missed it, but are these pinned or welded ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Looks like these are "pinned" with a hollow sleeve, I can see the joint on the outside of the rim and the joint is taped over on the inside.