RAD

So confused on what tube to get... Avenir any good?

I just want to get a tube to keep on hand as a spare, and searched and read and looked at the reviews on here... I have no clue what to get.

No, I'm not going to switch over to tubeless and I want to stick with schrader.

I found a lot of Avenir tubes on Amazon... thoughts?

Amazon.com: Avenir Thorn-Resistant Schrader valve MTB tube (26 x 1.95-2.125): Sports & Outdoors
    2012 Trek X-Cal
    --------------------------------------------
    "Me... I ride for me." - Cru Jones

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    its just a tube dude...

mtbr member
    Tubes aren't complicated and don't require a bunch of research and hand wringing. If you screw it up, don't worry, you'll have another opportunity to buy another one in a few weeks.

I wouldn't want the extra weight of a thorn resistant tube...... but if you have a lot of thorns, tubeless really is the way to go (sorry, I had to go there). I ran Slime Tubes for awhile before I went tubeless and they helped a bit with thorns but certainly didn't seal everything, were pricey and made a mess when they pinch flatted.

Also I've found that (depending on what size tires you're running) bigger tubes (2.25-2.5) don't pinch flat as much.

RAD
    I figured I was looking too deep into it... but didn't know if it mattered if I get the same tube kids buy at walmart for their bikes riding in the driveway compared to riding trails...

I'll just get whatever I guess.

Thanks all!
    2012 Trek X-Cal
    --------------------------------------------
    "Me... I ride for me." - Cru Jones

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by gofastgt View Post
    I figured I was looking too deep into it... but didn't know if it mattered if I get the same tube kids buy at walmart for their bikes riding in the driveway compared to riding trails...

I'll just get whatever I guess.

Thanks all!
    Generally, regular tubes are no more expensive at your LBS than they are at WalMart.

I just avoid made in China tubes. I have had more failures with them than tubes from any other source.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    And do not be shy to fix any punctures - that way you won't have to bother about buying tubes very often.

'Tis but a scratch
    Nothing wrong with Wally World for a $5 tube.

Pay no mind to us...
    The best tube is no tube frankly but that is a different discussion...

I have tried a bunch of different tubes over the years (Maxxis, Pyramid, Avenir, WTB, etc) and they all are about the same in terms of quality, reliability, etc.

This is probably due to the nature of tubes as much as the fact that many of these are probably made by the same company or companies.

What you want to watch out for is old crusty tubes that have been sitting on the shelf for awhile as they tend to be a bit brittle and more prone to punctures.

I have had good luck with the Park VP-1 kit (vulcanizing patch kit) to repair tubes and keep a core group of a couple of tubes in business by repairing punctures over and over again.

Fat-tired Roadie
    +1 to mostly the same.

I just pulled an Avenir off my bike. Funny coincidence. I was swapping tires, and lately I've been getting fancypants light tubes. They're quite cheap for the swing in weight. I don't know if it does anything or not, but it's only a few extra dollars...

Anyway, it didn't do anything weird in the 10 months or so it's been there.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx