Sofa King We Todd Did

Smoke/Dart/Mythos/Velociraptor-type treads in a fat width

You know the complementary treads you find on Panaracer Smoke & Dart tires or the IRC Mythos XC tires or the WTB Velociraptor tires? Well, I love those tires but they only come in 2.1 widths and I was wondering this sort of tread design exists in a wider tire.

Form may not meet function but I thought I'd ask anyway. Cheers.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    OK, I've searched and searched and it doesn't seem that any manufacturer produces or sells a matched set in wide widths. But I did find a couple of things to consider. I came across the IRC El Gato tire. Most reviews I've read state that this is a trials tire, but I wonder why it wouldn't work on the trail... I wonder how well it would work if I matched up this IRC El Gato 2.25 tire in the rear with an IRC Trailbear 2.25 tire in the front.

The El Gato and the Trailbear, respectively:

Alternative, could a Maxxis High Roller 2.5 be matched with the 2.5 version of the IRC Trailbear? Sure, we all know that the High Roller weighs a ton, but if we only used one of them, perhaps the weight might be a bit more manageable?

Thoughts, opinions, maybe someone out there gives a toss about this.

hands up who wants to die
    Kenda Nevegal rear / Blue Groove front... ?

You just want 2 tires that have different treads, but the same name? Not sure why that matters, but these 2 Kenda tires work well together for certain types of terrain.

Maxxis makes their Minion in front and rear-specific treads.

good luck.

-r
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
    my mtb videos: http://vimeo.com/album/6861

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I don't really care about having the same brand name. It was about having these complementary treads - paddle-type in the rear, directional in the front. Oh, and with comparable wide widths. I'm off to take a look at the two tires you listed, mate.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    OK, I took a look at the two tires and they don't quite fit the bill, I'm afraid. However, in perusing the Kenda site, I did come across their Kolossal DH tire, and THAT could work in the rear, I think. Plus, going for $5 a pop, that's going to be tough to not have a go at them.

hands up who wants to die
    The Kendas are great and came in many sizes. Their 2.35 is about the size of Maxxis' 2.5.

I'm currently on a 2.35 Nevegal DTC folding in the back, 2.5" Kenda Blue Groove Sticky in front on my trail bike. For my XC bike, I'd drop down to a 2.1" in back, 2.35" in front.

Maxxis High Rollers are paddle-ish too.

The Smoke/Dart and Velociraptor certainly ruled their day, but there are better tires (treads and rubber compounds) available now.

-r
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
    my mtb videos: http://vimeo.com/album/6861