mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Slit in my sidewall....

I have a tire that has a slit in the sidewall and the tube bulges through a little bit. Is this something that is fixable with a patch since I run with tubes or does this require a replacement tire? The tread is still good on the tire but I'm willing to replace if necessary....I'd prefer to save the money and fix the tire though if at all possible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    P.S. I did ride with it like that for a little before I realized there was a hole when I got home and was washing my bike

mtbr member
    My tires have multiple slits in the sidewalls from rocks, and are patched inside with Park emergency tire boots (TB-2), after first cleaning the inside of the casing to get good adhesion. The people I talked to while researching this for myself, said they continued riding their tires until the knobs were worn down to the casing.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by swengo86
    I have a tire that has a slit in the sidewall and the tube bulges through a little bit. Is this something that is fixable with a patch since I run with tubes or does this require a replacement tire? The tread is still good on the tire but I'm willing to replace if necessary....I'd prefer to save the money and fix the tire though if at all possible.
    You need to use something that does not stretch if you try to fix it. The integrity of the case has been compromised. A tube patch alone is not enough.

Or just replace it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Former Bike Wrench
    On the trail, emergency boots such as powerbar wrappers and dollar bills have worked great. Once back, I like strapping tape with the "threads" going perpendicular to the tear. I have a 110 psi road tire with a sidewall cut that has held up for over a year using this method.

Save Jesus
    When I looked into the Park tire boot, the instructions kept emphasizing that it is only temporary.

bi-winning
    To me, it depends how big the cut is. If only small, and the tread still has a lot of life left in it, I'll use the large patch from a patch kit, as well as a layer of duct tape. This method has held up well for me on a 60 TPI WTB Prowler that I damaged over a year ago.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag
    When I looked into the Park tire boot, the instructions kept emphasizing that it is only temporary.
    Lawyers....

Rub it............
    You can also use the FedEx envelopes. They work just as well as the boots, but without the adhesive.