mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Slime "Tire Sealant" vs. "Pro Tubeless Sealant"

I found Slime's "Tire Sealant" at Walmart for very cheap - $27 for a gallon (i.e. about 21 cents/oz). Which, based on their recommendations of 4 oz per tire works out to be 84 cents/tire (and it is supposed to last a long time). Slime's "Pro Tubeless Sealant" costs about $16/16 oz, so it is about 4-5 times the cost.

I checked Slime's website and, under "Tire Sealant", it states: "Slime Tire Sealant is formulated and tested for use in all pneumatic tires" but also states "Slime for tubeless tires can also be installed into tubeless bike tires. Slime tire sealant installs between the rim and the tire bead. Hold the bead open with two tire levers, install, and re-inflate with a fast burst of air to seat the bead to the rim."

Finally, "Tire Sealant" uses "Fibro-Seal™ Technology. Slime utilizes a state-of-the-art blend of environmentally friendly fibers, binders, polymers and proprietary congealing agents which intertwine and clot within the puncture. This Fibro-Seal™ lattice, together with the viscous transportation system (the “green” goo) seeks out and tightly packs itself into the puncture, preventing and repairing flats with a flexible long lasting plug."

Based on their website, I couldn't tell the difference between this product and the bicycle specific "Pro Tubeless Sealant". I am easily confused so I called Slime, and after on hold for 30 minutes, a cust rep couldn't tell me anymore than what was on the website (i.e. that "Tire Sealant" could be used for tubeless bicycle tires but "Pro Tubeless Sealant" was bicycle specific.)

Anyone know the difference between these two Slime products? Is there a difference or is it just a marketing thing, knowing they can call a product "bicycle specific" and charge us cyclists more, while having another product that does essentially the same thing at a cheaper price? Does the "Pro Tubeless" have a less corrosive chemicals for the rim? Are they made up of different sealant or clotting material?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I forgot to mention that the reason for this post is that I am setting up ghetto tubeless with non-UST tires (WTB Velociraptor 2.1) and wheels. I like the idea that Slime works for a long time w/o continually drying up and needing to be replenished every 3-4 months (yeah, I have read up on the Stans v. Slime and may try Stans in the future but want to try Slime first). I don't know if that makes a difference when comparing these two products (Slime's "Tire Sealant" and "Pro Tubeless Sealant"). For instance, does the Tire Sealant also work just as well as sealing the bead (I will use the 20" cut tire method)?

Save Jesus
    The Pro has latex in it which will dry out after plugging a hole. The other kind never dries out and will continue to slowly seep out of punctures.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Pro Tubeless is designed to seal the casing of tubeless ready tires. "Regular" Slime does not do that well.

"Converting" any standard tire is a crap shoot not matter what method is tried.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

dwt
    mtbr member
    If you are going to mount a non tubeless tire to a converted non tubeless rim (whether split tube, rim strip, or tape only), you will need a sealant with latex - which Slime Pro has among other ingredients.

The primary function of latex is to seal the bead; puncture protection is secondary. It's just the opposite with auto sealant, which have particles of rubber, fiber and whatnot suspended in antifreeze and solvent, designed to plug punctures, and having little or nothing to do with making a converted tire seat and hold air on a converted rim.

Slime Pro looks to be a cross between the two, consisting of latex plus the particles.

If you check this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...st8600645.html

you will find a homebrew formula by mtnbiker172 which is also a cross between the two at a fraction of the price of any commercial latex sealant.
    Last edited by dwt; 11-11-2011 at 08:46 PM.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks! It makes sense now. I will try mtbiker72's homebrew, using Slime's Tire Sealant. I found 1/2 off coupons for the mold builder for both Micheals and Hobby Lobby, so that should help keep the cost down.

How do you store the homebrew/what type of container? Does the container matter (i.e. must it be air tight)? How long does it last in your container before it goes bad/dries up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FTC Rider View Post
    I found Slime's "Tire Sealant" at Walmart for very cheap - $27 for a gallon (i.e. about 21 cents/oz).
    If you have a Mills Fleetfarm by you it's a little cheaper. ($20/ Gal.)

Slime Sealant.