Thread: Skewer Article

mtbr member

Skewer Article

The only external cam skewers I've ever used are Salsa, I still have my set I purchased in 1996. Other than that set (which is currently not in use) I only use Shimano skewers if I need skewers at all.

AngryAsian: Death To Crappy Quick-release Skewers - BikeRadar
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Hate the crappy skewers! Pretty ironic that companies can supply a new bike with POS alloy and plastic skewers guaranteed to fail at some point down the road yet have to put "lawyer lip" tabs on the forks. Safety first, eh?

One time I was riding an old Peugeot road bike which was supplied with one of the worst internal cam skewers ever- Simplex. I was pulling a wheelie and watched in horror as my front wheel stayed rolling on the road about a foot below my fork.

I like the Salsas too, but the Shimanos are peace of mind for me.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Hate the crappy skewers! Pretty ironic that companies can supply a new bike with POS alloy and plastic skewers guaranteed to fail at some point down the road yet have to put "lawyer lip" tabs on the forks. Safety first, eh?
    The worst ones I ever had came with a set of wheels from BWW. They were the generic aluminum ones with a plastic cam seat. When you tightened them down you could see the plastic squish. Total garbage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Skewer Article

Halo hex work well for me and they're cheap and light. I broke a fancy DT Swiss one recently, trying to get it tight in track ends - it was also plastic.