mtbr member
    May 2008

Single Speed XC wheelset recommendations

I'm looking for a new wheelset for my Niner Air 9 RDO set up as a SS w/ chain tensioner, QR on back, 15mm TA up front. I'm 185lb and ride XC trails with it, with a few small jumps, drops and some rocks and roots. I've ridden Arches, Flows, and Arch EX in the past without issue, I just need to true the rear Arches every once in a while.

A few questions are:

1. Hubs: Would a SS hub make that much a difference in terms of strength? Do they all require freewheels, or do some have freehubs that you can run with cogs?
    I would want something that is 10mm QR and 12 TA compatible so I could transfer the wheels to my next bike. Also, having something with a decent number of POE would be a plus for more technical sections.

2. Any rim recommendations? I'll probably run tires 2.1-2.3" wide tires.

3. A buddy of mine is selling some DT Swiss 240 with Light Bicycle 30mm inner Carbon Rims for $600. Wondering though if they're too wide and reliability concerns with Light Bicycle carbon.

Ideally I'd like to keep the price around $600 although I could go up. Any recommendations in general?

mtbr member
    Blunt SS for aluminum rim. Otherwise go carbon, whichever level your budget affords- 600 asia made obvs. You could save money by going with a cheap light hub, something from BHS. I would go with your friends setup, you couldn't build that for 600, and you get 240 hub which is top shelf (light, too)
    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    1. Hubs: Would a SS hub make that much a difference in terms of strength? Do they all require freewheels, or do some have freehubs that you can run with cogs?
    I would want something that is 10mm QR and 12 TA compatible so I could transfer the wheels to my next bike. Also, having something with a decent number of POE would be a plus for more technical sections.
    SS hubs are undoubtedly stronger when comparing numbers. The question is: how strong is strong enough? With the advances in spoke and rim technology: harder alloys, asymmetrical rims, and carbon, spoke bracing angle is still a 'thing', but just less important. FWIW, I run a standard 10sp Hadley hub, set up SS with Sapim Race spokes and inner 30mm carbon rims. Those things are SOLID. no flexy wheels here.
    Many hub manufacturers have both the options you seek. Stans, DT, King, Hadley, Hope, Bitex all immediately come to mind. Pretty much every hub except Shimano and SRAM, actually. For the SS ones, the free hub body looks and works just like any standard shimano/SRAM 10sp body, but is very short and only has room for maybe like 4 cogs... or 1 cog and a few shims. All the brands listed also have conversion kits to adapt any axle standard you want.

2. Any rim recommendations? I'll probably run tires 2.1-2.3" wide tires.
    Nextie or LB carbon. WTB makes some great alloy rims at a good price. something around 25mm inner width would be my guess. I have inner 30's and they make 2.2s a little square for my taste.
    3. A buddy of mine is selling some DT Swiss 240 with Light Bicycle 30mm inner Carbon Rims for $600. Wondering though if they're too wide and reliability concerns with Light Bicycle carbon.
    I know at least half a dozen guys on LB or Nextie carbon, 5 of them SS'ers. One is me. No one has had a problem, going back over 2 years. Several of them are accomplished racers. One used to ride for Stan's, as still chooses LB carbon. Both companies reputations are well established at this point. I would say that 30s are great rims, but probably wider than you *need* if you really like 2.1 tires. I personally see no reason to ride a tire that narrow, but that's an irrelevant personal opinion. I <heart> 3.0s, even on a single speed.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Yeah, why not?

mtbr member
    I have often been tempted to buy a SS-specific hub, but I fail to find the the lack of option to run gears to be worth it.

most SS hubs have a short freehub and wide flanges for use with a cog. freewheel hubs are pretty limited.

however, since the frame design does not have it's own tensioner, look into a White Eno eccentric hub. might also need an adapter for the brake caliper. most SS riders who use freewheels will tell you that a White freewheel is the way to go as well.

The White Jeff W
    I use the Hope Pro 4 SS hub on mine. It has the bolt on axle kit vs 9mm qr and a short freehub body that could probably hold 5 gears if you wanted to go that route. The engagement is insane. 88 clicks per revolution. Great hub. I used the Spank OOZY 345 rims with 2.35 Racing Ralphs. The OOZY rims are wide, relatively light and tough as nails. Im 210 on a rigid bike and smash the rims on rocks & roots pretty regularly. So far no dents or damage.
    No moss...

wanna ride bikes?
    Last edited by *OneSpeed*; 1 Week Ago at 06:32 AM.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

SS cyclocross
    all steel

"Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have a set of DT 350's laced to Stan's Flows (newer version, 29 IW I believe) with an Arent 2.4 up front and Ikon 2.35 rear. No issues running SS. I would have preferred SS specific, however these were very well priced, so I went for it. Upgraded the ratchet to whatever is one level above stock (not the 54 POE), and honestly not sure if I would do it again, the standard level was fine for me, even SS.

You could do the same, only with an Arch, and it may fit your intended tire size a little better, however I would honestly go to a wider tire. I don't see any reason to go that narrow these days. The slight increase in weight is greatly offset by the better ride quality and traction.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. Some good options to choose from.

What are some tire recommendations? I'd be ok going wider (I think I could go up to 2.4 on the frame) but would want to make sure it's worth the additional weight and rolling resistance. I want my SS to feel as light and nimble as possible. I have a 2.25 Nobby Nic on front, 2.2 Ikon on rear.

mtbr member
    I just went through this same process. I run a belt drive which is high tension. I've found that some hubs don't like that tension and bind.

Believe or not though, the Novatec hubs you get on Chinese carbon EBay wheels work excellent.

So, I just bought some 27mm wide asymmetric carbon wheels on EBay for $417 shipped.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    I just went through this same process. I run a belt drive which is high tension. I've found that some hubs don't like that tension and bind.

Believe or not though, the Novatec hubs you get on Chinese carbon EBay wheels work excellent.

So, I just bought some 27mm wide asymmetric carbon wheels on EBay for $417 shipped.
    That could work really well, assuming the rims hold up decently.
    Do you have a link, know the weight of the set or the POE of the hubs?

wanna ride bikes?
    Last edited by *OneSpeed*; 1 Week Ago at 06:33 AM.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

SS cyclocross
    all steel

"Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

mtbr member
    That could work really well, assuming the rims hold up decently.
    Do you have a link, know the weight of the set or the POE of the hubs?
    I think the set was listed as 1,540g.

POE, will be low just like any low cost hubs are. However, I have them on my road bike and they spin very well with minimum drag.

If POE is a concern of yours, you shouldn't be looking at Ebay wheels from China.

As far as the rims holding up, I would bet these rims are being used by companies such as LB, Nox, Derby, and others. Not too concerned.

If the hubs blow up, I'll just buy a new hub and relace the wheel.

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I think the set was listed as 1,540g.

POE, will be low just like any low cost hubs are. However, I have them on my road bike and they spin very well with minimum drag.

If POE is a concern of yours, you shouldn't be looking at Ebay wheels from China.

As far as the rims holding up, I would bet these rims are being used by companies such as LB, Nox, Derby, and others. Not too concerned.

If the hubs blow up, I'll just buy a new hub and relace the wheel.

Cheers
    Ok, thanks for the info. l think I'll want at least 24 POE to help some of the technical climbs. I wonder if something like this with 240's would hold up - asymmetric 29er width 33mm depth 29mm offside mountain bike carbon wheelset | eBay

mtbr member
    Ok, thanks for the info. l think I'll want at least 24 POE to help some of the technical climbs. I wonder if something like this with 240's would hold up - asymmetric 29er width 33mm depth 29mm offside mountain bike carbon wheelset | eBay
    Yes, those are the rims I bought.

With the DT hubs, you'll be golden.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yes, those are the rims I bought.

With the DT hubs, you'll be golden.
    I didn't realize the DT hubs add quite a bit to the price. I do see these (not asym) - MTB Bike 29ER Carbon Wheelset 25mm Depth 27mm Width Mountain Bike Carbon Wheels | eBay

And people seem happy with the hubs (I think 24 POE). I wonder if you can convert them to 12 and 15mm thru axle.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Here are the asym ones for under $400 shipped - 29er carbon asymmetric mtb wheelset 33 width carbon wheels for XC mountain bike | eBay

If they're tubeless capable and they convert to TA (at least the front), I may take the chance on them as I typically don't damage hubs or rims and the seller has good reviews.

mtbr member
    That is pretty much what I ordered, although I went with straight pull hubs this time. Same seller.

The wheels were shipped 2 days after purchasing with tracking info. I would expect them to be here in a week to 10 days.

With tubeless tape, they will run tubeless.

Can't beat the price for what you get in my opinion.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That is pretty much what I ordered, although I went with straight pull hubs this time. Same seller.

The wheels were shipped 2 days after purchasing with tracking info. I would expect them to be here in a week to 10 days.

With tubeless tape, they will run tubeless.

Can't beat the price for what you get in my opinion.
    Cool, thanks. Do you know with the front hub, if you can just pop off the end caps to convert to 15mm TA? I just started a separate thread on them before I saw your response. I'll probably order them tonight.

mtbr member
    That I do not know.

I just told the seller what type of axles I wanted. You can pretty much order them anyway you want.
    by Silentfoe