Bike to the Bone...

Similarities Tioga Factory FR, XC and Red Phoenix

I was looking at the Tioga Factory Extreme tires. There are 2 version, the FR and XC. I looked at Speedgoat site, and the difference I saw was the weight between both. I also checked for Red Phoenix, and it's lower weighted than the XC.

Besides marketing stuff, all 3 tires seem to have the same knob drawing (from looking at pics, I don't know if looking at them live and in color I will notice a difference).

Is it the same drawing but just at different prices/weight?

Thanks

No good in rock gardens..

Tiogas

I've run a few Tioga Extremes. There is only the one version, there is no FR version of this tyre. I think the weight difference you see on the Mountain Goat site refers to the kevlar and wire bead versions. Both are pretty light for such a big tyre.

The Extreme is a lighter version of the 2.1 Factory DH. At the moment I have two Extremes on my GT hardtail. They are a good sized 2.1, measuring at 2.2. I have noticed that there must have been different generations of these tyres however, as one I bought recently has a very slightly different tread pattern than the older one, and is slightly narrower. There are some out there made by Mitsuboshi Tire Co. of Japan and some made in Taiwan. I have one of each with the Taiwanese one being about 4mm wider than the Japanese one. They are both kevlar bead.

They are a fairly soft compound, and you will notice wear after a couple of rides. They roll pretty well however. Where I ride is very dry most of the time with a lot of loose gravelly top coat, loose silty sections and loose rocks too. They handle this terrain pretty well, and I've yet to have a sidewall tear or cut, probably because of the wide tread section.

I've also run the Red Phoenix in the 1.9 size. I found that they worked pretty well considering the very small, fairly shallow tread blocks. I only ever used them on the rear, with an Extreme up front. The Red Phoenix is a very light racing tyre, rolls very fast and has a very soft compound. They wear very fast but have surprising climbing grip despite the narrow size and little tread blocks. (probably due to the soft compund used.)

What usage did you have in mind for the tyres - trail, XC, FR?
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

Bike to the Bone...
    Thanks for the detailed info!

I'm intending them for XC and a little bit of trail riding. We're getting closer to rainy season, so in a month or so we'll start to ride in mud.

The tires are for my gf. She had some tires with a very lousy knob design.

We bougth some Factory FR (I didn't notice the designation until I got home, duh!),but last sunday we tried the bike and she was very impresed with the tires. She didn't mentioned feeling the bike heavier or anything, so I think we're OK, but I just think that if I could get some lighter tires with the same bite it would be great.

No good in rock gardens..

Tiogas

Well, like I said the Extreme XC's are pretty big, and could be frame cloggers in the mud. They are pretty good otherwise. I haven't used the Red Phoenix in the mud or as a front tyre. so I can't comment on how they would go.

Forget the new Tioga Blue Dragons - they are heavy and slow rolling and generally good for nothing IMHO.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....