mtbr member

Significant change in Maxxis Ardent?

I just put a pair of Maxxis Ardent, 26x2.4 EXO TR tires on my bike. The TR designation is new, since the last time I got a pair. The interesting thing though is in the tread design. In the previous Ardents, the intermediate tread was lower than either the center tread or the outside tread. The only flaw in an otherwise excellent design was the vague edging as you put the tire on edge since it had to transition to that outside tread before it would hook up well. With this design, the intermediate tread will be in contact almost immediately. I haven't ridden them yet (going to Moab in 2 weeks) but I'll be interested to see if it makes a difference in cornering, braking and in rolling resistance, since that tread will be on the ground now while rolling. They are also about 60 grams lighter than the standard 26x2.4 Ardent EXO.

mtbr member
    Any chance you could post a pic?

I don't think I've seen an Ardent like you describe...

HU
    Did they shrink the tread like the 2.4" 650b?

mtbr member
    I'll try to get a picture of each. The tread width and carcass size haven't changed in the 26x2.4

HU
    60 g is a lot to lose, the width sounds similar to the 650b version.

The tread blocks on the 2.4" Ardent 650b were dumbed down and looked different compared to my 2.4" Ardent 26".. I was pretty bummed and actually returned it (never returned a tire before).

F8L
    mtbr member
    This may sound silly but we're your previous Ardents the 2.25"? The spacing between transitional tread blocks and the middle/outer blocks is greater on the 2.25" vs. the 2.4". At least that's how it was described in some of the reviews. The difference is great enough that the 2.4" version doesn't suffer from the dead zone as bad as the narrower model.
    2015 Norco Sight C7.4

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Does the 2.4 Ardent have more volume than the 2.4 minions? I would love to try one on the back but don't want the rear to be bigger than the front. Ran Ardents a few years ago before they went up in size and loved it as a rear tire.

MTB B'dos
    You've obviously gotten some good life out of your previous Ardent, because they made that change a couple years ago, beefing up the transition knob. Biggest change was when they did it to the 2.25", as before it was pretty much just a cosmetic thing it was so small. Still would be interesting to see a pic, wonder if they've made another re-design.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    You've obviously gotten some good life out of your previous Ardent, because they made that change a couple years ago, beefing up the transition knob. Biggest change was when they did it to the 2.25", as before it was pretty much just a cosmetic thing it was so small. Still would be interesting to see a pic, wonder if they've made another re-design.
    Ah. Mystery solved! I didn't realize they changed it. Do you have any ride impressions? he wear is good on my old ones.
    I've never owned or ridden the 2.25, but have thought about it as a rear tire.

mtbr member

Pix of 26x2.4 EXO TR

Significant change in Maxxis Ardent?-tr-tire-small.jpgSignificant change in Maxxis Ardent?-tr-small.jpgSignificant change in Maxxis Ardent?-tr-knob-small.jpg

The transition knobs are considerably higher than on the old Ardent 26x2.4.

F8L
    mtbr member
    I'm sorry. I don't think my statement was correct about transitional knob spacing being different was correct. I think the biggest difference was the knobs being much larger/taller on the 2.4" vs. the 2.25". So much so that many of the reviewers dismiss the 2.25". The 2.4" is beefy enough that it can be used as a solid front tire although it still has some of that vagueness on slight leans that is attributed to the Ardent.

While I haven't ran the 2.4" the reviews state it is a huge tire and may not fit all bikes.

Maxxis Ardent 2.4" 29"er Tires: Final Review

The ?Big?, Big Tire Shootout
    2015 Norco Sight C7.4

mtbr member
    Yeah, can't speak to the 29er version. Only the 26x2.4. This version, 2015 has considerably higher transition knobs (not talking spacing, just height of knob) than the 2013's of the same size that I had been running. I'm not referring to differences between the 2.25 and the 2.4. I have no experience with the 2.25 in any size. Also, the TR version at about 60 grams lighter, is a new feature in this size, to me.