Thread: Sidewall Repair

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Sidewall Repair

After tearing a sidewall putting in a new tube only to see it pop out the sidewall (tried the superglue trick didnt work). I am deciding how to prepare for it again, to avoid the long walk back. The obvious choice is to carry a spare tire and tube, but would think to find a better solution. Someone said a dollar bill between the tire and tube is the trick. other tricks for gashes? Are there any products made for this?

A wheelist
    Park Tool sell a tire boot but it doesn't take much imagination to come up with something that's free and absolutely just as good.

I carry small patches (maybe 3x2") cut from an old leather or suede coat (purse, handbag, whatever).
    A friend carries a piece of folding lawn chair webbing.
    A piece of denim jeans will do fine.

Also, keep a couple of wraps of duct tape around your pump. Use a piece of this to hold your tire boot in place. Or even just the duct tape will work. Practice ripping the duct tape with your hands; I carry a tiny, cheap folding knife for the purpose.

I saved two tires for friends on one ride with my suede patch and duct tape.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    i have done the third fix in this pink bike article a couple times and had really good results even with good size tears. i found the slime radial patch kit for less than $5 autoparts store for 3-4 patches. my patched tires are running tubeless no issue and i have gone on to completely wear at least one out and the patch was still perfect. just be sure the patch is bonded 100% to the tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by max_cat View Post
    After tearing a sidewall putting in a new tube only to see it pop out the sidewall (tried the superglue trick didnt work). I am deciding how to prepare for it again, to avoid the long walk back. The obvious choice is to carry a spare tire and tube, but would think to find a better solution. Someone said a dollar bill between the tire and tube is the trick. other tricks for gashes? Are there any products made for this?
    Sew the gap closed with non waxed dental floss and a baseball stitch. Put shoe goo on the seam and then patch on the inside with a tire boot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Cut up old tubulars make nice boots. 320 tpi works great.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by max_cat View Post
    To get home, the dollar bill, gel or energy bar wrapper, duct tape...they all work.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I bought a Schwalbe RaRa with a nice 1" tear on the sidewall. It was cheap on eBay. I sewed it up with 50 pound test braided fishing line, then patched the inside. It runs perfectly fine tubeless and with the low pressures I use. I think carrying a sewing needle and fishing line would be a pretty good idea. Plus, you have a survival kit. You can add a fishing hook or make your needle a fishing hook. Who knows what could happen?
    Bamboo is real.
    Boola Boola.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    saved for future ref.
    i have more than you.
    ...because i have me and you.

zarr