Thread: Side wall tear

mtbr member

Side wall tear

I took the tires off of my Cascade Peak this afternoon to finally convert them to tubeless. However, I spotted a 3/8 ths inch tear in the middle of the sidewall on the front tire. It is a WTB Scraper 27.5 x 3.

I obviously can't go tubeless with this tire so I ordered one asap since none of the local shops had a good replacement.

I also put a tube patch on the inside of the tire so I can ride tomorrow.

Is there any way to patch this tire so it is reliable? I'd at least like to keep it as a spare on the camper for my trip to Utah later this month.

By the way, my last few rides on this bike have been at ROCKville hills park on trails such as the ROCK garden trail. No mystery as to what happened!
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've sewn a couple tires with floss and patch it from the inside with a tube patch. Its not tubeless now, but it'll suffice

mtbr member
    If you ride tame trails a hard-tail (no rear suspension) will be cheaper, more reliable, faster and cheaper to maintain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    I've sewn a couple tires with floss and patch it from the inside with a tube patch. Its not tubeless now, but it'll suffice
    Works great! I've even managed to keep a tire running tubeless doing this. Got about 500km on an Ardent I sewed up a 1 inch gash in before finally replacing it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    If you ride tame trails a hard-tail (no rear suspension) will be cheaper, more reliable, faster and cheaper to maintain.
    Mmm. I replied to a different thread and the reply has appeared in this one! Novel.

mtbr member
    I have had a good deal of success using motorbike tube patches over small tears and nicks in tyres before,
    I am the biketart!

because GIANT
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    this
    or 95 paracord frankenstitch,

then an internal long oval patch over the stitching
    "Eating Spam, and Oreos, and drinking Thunderbird, baby" -Baby Huey/James Ramey

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Mmm. I replied to a different thread and the reply has appeared in this one! Novel.
    Did you replied through Tapatalk?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    No. I don't know what that is.

damned rocks...
    Ok, I asked because it did happened to me one time, and I was using Tapatalk.
    Tapatalk, it's an application for following forums that you used on your phone. Quiet good in my opinion.

Doesn't go too far enough
    Aug 2013
    Tapatalk, it's an application for following forums that you used on your phone. Quiet good in my opinion.
    Yeah butt they're app is not very good at picking the right words.

mtbr member
    I usually patch it from the inside then use gorilla glue on the outside to bond the slice together. I've patched numerous tires this way and run them tubeless after.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    No, I think there was some kind of forum work going on maybe as I kept getting 404 messages.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies. Given the response, I washed the area around the tear with acetone and roughed it up with 220 grit sandpaper. Then, I sewed the tear with button and carpet thread. Next, I liberally worked Amazing Goop into the threads and the rubber around the tear. Lastly, I coated the inside around the tear with goop and put on a patch of denim from some old jeans, coated the other side of the patch with yet more goop, and worked it into the patch. Tomorrow will tell if it holds pressure tubeless but I suspect it will very well.

Thanks again. This kind of advice is one of the best aspects of MTBR!
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

Co Springs
    I did something called a 'boot' patch I think.
    Found it on the internet and made a big reinforced sidewall support placing inside and against the tire wall then used some gorilla tape.

I was running tubes and it held so good I forgot all about replacing the tire for a year or more. I kept thinking it'll crap out at some point but I finally tossed it and got some new tires.

I imagine it's considered a Hail Mary or temporary trail side fix as there was no fancy stitching or sewing. Just quick and simple.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

I Love my Rize
    trash it, I broke my c4 and c5 due to a catastrophic sidewall failure at high speed. My mantra now is in the trash with a comprised sidewall. All I roll with now must be enduro or more casing. (1000) grams
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY