mtbr member

Should I replace my Mavic X317 w/ Shimano M475 hubs with Mavic Crossland wheels?

The X317 are still pretty new but I just don't like the cheapie M475 hubs on them. Are the Crossland whels an upgrade in terms of overall quality and weight? I like the look of the CLs. I don't plan to go tubeless anytime soon.

This is for a city mountain bike with Michelin CiTY tires with disc up front and V in back. It's sort of a semi-weight-weenie bike, so weight is important in my decision making.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Crossland...

Don’t mean to hijack the thread, but I recently acquired Crossland rim/hub. Three things that kind of bother me from the getgo are:

1. Sealed bearings. I thought sealed bearings are functionally better than those cartridge bearings used on Shimano (even XT) hubs. Well is it, really? With Shimano hubs, simply tighten locknut on one side to a specific torque and pretty no fiddling until the next repack. Repack is as easy as pop those (big) loose bearings, clean then up, pop them back in. I’m not sure how to remove the drive side bearings without what seems to be a lockring that holds the axle against freehub body. I guess I need another tool. No biggie. But are those sealed bearings really functionally better than loose ball bearings used in Shimano hubs? Sure it is “sealed” but I have yet to encounter any bearings destructions in Shimano hubs (I do repack every year or so). Cleaning sealed bearings isn’t anything new to me, but the size of bearings must be much smaller than loose bearings, right? How reliable are those smaller bearings…?

2. Also, Crossland axle are two parts, non-drive side axle unscrews from the hub to free sealed bearings (well kind of). Am I missing a lockring on non-drive side? How do I tighten the axle without over-sideloading the bearings, yet tight enough that axle won’t just get loosen as I ride? Will it loosen by itself? Finger-snag fit seems to be the right side-load (allen key clearly over-sideloads it) – would it stay on the hub without developing a play?

3. All these discussions on how Mavic freehubs are prone to failure (prawl destructions).

I thought XT hubs were cheaply built because XT from 15 years ago basically has the same internals. But after fiddling with Mavic hubs (granted only one set), XT seems simple and reliable. All these years, I have been on Shimano and they have never givne me any trouble, even the 15-year old XT and LX hubs.

Any opinions and inputs?

A wheelist
    Crossland? Dubious hubs, overpriced rims, overpriced and unobtanium spokes? What's to like? Try normal, easy to fix, realistically spoked, incredibly priced wheels from this forum's sponsor. Pick your price range.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Now that's just funny. I came with a neglected purple ano Zaskar off a local CL, and I thought it's a better wheel to use on my ss with V & disk options, than my current XT with 317 rim that I built up. I guess not, since I do value my life.

Mike, is your opinion just on Crossland, or Mavic hubs in general? Do most Mavic share the same hub constructions?

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    Mike, is your opinion just on Crossland, or Mavic hubs in general? Do most Mavic share the same hub constructions?
    Take a look at the Review section to see what people are saying about them.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.