mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Should I Give Up on Sun Ringle?

Short Story: Sun Ringle Charger Pros, second time with a different issue with the rear hub. Thinking of buying a set of Hope hubs with Stan Flows and Ebaying these darn things. Should I stick it out, or cut my losses.

Long Story (perhaps a RANT): Let me start by saying my mom is awesome.

She bought me a 2012 Stumpy in Dec 2011, but from a shop in North Carolina...we both live in Southern California...she was RV'ing. The hub died in May 2012...took it to the local Specialized dealer in Newbury Park, CA, (that I have bought bikes and parts from) the owner acted like he would take care of me, but was apparently butt hurt and just blew me off...avoided my calls, etc...it was stupid. I assumed any other local dealer would be the same and I had heard about problems with the Hi-Lo hub so I just bucked up and bought a Sun Ringle Charger wheelset. That lasted about 7 months then blew up, Sun Ringle replaced the freehub then it blew up again a month later. I need to send it back to them in Wisconsin. Now I have no useable rear wheel, in desperation I tore apart the stock Specialized hub that died last year and found a broken pawl, took it a different Specialized shop and asked if they had any pawls and they looked at me like I was an alien. So friends...what do I do...the stock wheelset is out of warranty, but a GOOD shop (if I can find one) may get Specialized to fix it, not ride for a few weeks while Sun Ringle fixes the hub, and pray it stays together for a while, or buy some Hope hubs and flow rims (which I have only heard good things about) and sell these other wheelsets.

mtbpete
    The Sun Ringle hub should be fixable. I would have to know what exactly is broken and figure out why to prevent it from happening again. Aside from that the Hope Pro 2 hubs are one of the most durable you can buy. Certainly better than the Sun hubs. I have a set of Gunmetal Pro II's I can build to the rims of your choice.

mtbr member
    Get the new wheels, I had a very similar issue with Sun Ringle and while the customer service was good I was still without a wheel for a few weeks. I went for a King/Flow build and sold off the old wheelset. You can't have fun if you don't have wheels.

mtbr member
    The Sun hubs aren't bad, but if your hard on hubs (given your killing them regularly I'm going to say you are) then Hope or DT350 hubs are a good choice. I'd go with WTB i23 rims over the new Flows...with work perfect with the Specialized 2Bliss tires if you're still running them.

Ow!
    If you are only having problem with the rear hub, why not just buy a new rear wheel? Front hubs generally are not of much concern, so if the front wheel is working OK, save a little money and just get a rear wheel built. Keep the front wheel you like the most, and sell the other wheelset.

Have them handbuilt. Hope or DT350 sound good (though I have no experience with them--just rep). I use Hadley or King, but that bumps the cost way up.

You might fix the other rear wheel if it can be fixed, and keep it as a spare. You never know when you will go off a drop and land wrong. Then you won't be without a rear wheel.

And, call Specialized about the pawls, telling them you are not getting the help you need from your local Specialized dealer. They should help you out buy selling you pawls/springs, or direct you to a good Specialized dealer for help. Tell them your story about the wheels, and they may cover some cost (or fix it for you).

turtles make me hot
    Is this that crappy Specialized spec'd hub made by DT Swiss? If it is, I have that hub on the wheelset that came on my Stumpjumper... Two little tiny pawls in it? I replace them annually.
    I just found the kit. If it's a DT Swiss Onyx, the kit comes with 2 pawls, a spring and grease. Use the grease sparingly or it'll skip under load and break the pawls.
    here are the two numbers on the bag: PAHU00074 and HWTXXXooNSKONS
    Hope this helps.
    And get Hope hubs and be done with this.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    This is my first 29er, the highest end hub I had on 26ers was an XT and I never had a problem. Never thought I was hard on hubs until now, maybe the 29er puts just enough extra stress on the hub to cause this tipping point into "hub blowing up land". I checked with Specialized again and they again said it is a service part and I would need to go through a dealer. As far as the Sun Ringle wheels, I sent them off for warranty, with shipping times I should have them back in a couple of weeks. I am pretty convinced at this point to just buy some king hubs, with i23 hoops, sell the Sun Ringles, and fix/keep the stock wheels as a back up.

NYrr496: Thanks for the tip I checked out the Onyx pawls online they look different from what I have. Pictured is what I have, from the online pics of the Onyx pawls it looks like my spring groove is in a different position. If not too much trouble could you confirm this?
    Name:  IMG_0635.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  34.7 KB

turtles make me hot
    Yeah. My pawls have the groove in the center. Maybe that's a different year or something. Mine is off an '09.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have also issues with my charger pro (2012) rear hub.
    First, I'm pretty sure that one or more bearing(s) are damaged - there's noticeable resistance when I spin the axis. Feels like rattattatta....

Also there's something wrong with the free hub: canyon didn't tighten the cassette enough so I rode and rode and noticed, that the chain sometimes sliped thru - means: the cassette slips over the freehub.

I removed the cassette, grinded and cleaned the free hub, attached the cassette and tightened it correctly.

Now, a few months later, I have this problem again, but the cassette is still thighened correctly.

Well, I think I should send this **** wheel to canyon, but this means that I have no rear wheel for... weeks? Also I don't know if canyon provide warranty/guarantee for this.

So I'm thinking about ordering a Hope Wheel, may be that one:
    Hope Hoops Pro 2 Evo - Stans Flow Rear | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Is that oke? It seems a good deal for the 236 (other shops here min. 270).
    What do u mean?

turtles make me hot
    Yeah. You can't go wrong with a Hope-Flow... Price is good too.
    I like turtles