mtbr member

New question here. Should I downsize from my 2.8"s to like a 2.5

Hey everyone,
    I would like to know if I would be better suited to 2.5”s or 2.6’s as opposed to the 2.8” nobby nics I am currently running on my Kona Big Honzo DL. I have read a couple articles where the journalist did such and was happy with the switch.
    I am 44yrs old, 5’6” at 150lbs, I don’t ride super aggressive but I do like to ramp it up on the flowy stuff and downhills. I am heading to Salida CO for my yearly visit with my childhood friend and we do 3-4 days of riding. Last year I was on a different bike with 2.3’s and I am concerned this is too much tire for my needs and that the extra volume and rotating weight will bog me down. I have a hard enough time with climbing at elevation as it is. Has anyone downsized and like the improvement?
    Go to Dirtproject.org to help advocate for MTB awareness and trail expansion in IL and the Midwest #thinkoutsidetheroad.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I'm about your age and recently had the opportunity to demo a Honzo. Very nice bike, but I can't really see myself riding a hardtail with smaller tires over anything rough...of course this is only my experience and no one can really tell you what would suit you better (even a journalist trying to sell tires). Have a good trip!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    I'm about your age and recently had the opportunity to demo a Honzo. Very nice bike, but I can't really see myself riding a hardtail with smaller tires over anything rough...of course this is only my experience and no one can really tell you what would suit you better (even a journalist trying to sell tires). Have a good trip!
    I don't have any back issues and have always ridden a hardtail, I just don't have superman legs and do like a whippy feel which I feel is a bit less whippy with the 2.8's. Chainreaction has michelin force AM's for 38.99 ea so I wouldn't take a huge hit in the pocketbook. Any opinions on those??
    Go to Dirtproject.org to help advocate for MTB awareness and trail expansion in IL and the Midwest #thinkoutsidetheroad.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I've not used them, but the tread pattern looks a lot like a Maxxis Ardent. Some people like this tire design and some don't. Not really a fan, but I know the Ardent rolls decently fast as a rear. I wouldn't put it on the front. That price isn't the best IMO either - quick google search shows ~$35 a couple different places that don't require international shipping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    I've not used them, but the tread pattern looks a lot like a Maxxis Ardent. Some people like this tire design and some don't. Not really a fan, but I know the Ardent rolls decently fast as a rear. I wouldn't put it on the front. That price isn't the best IMO either - quick google search shows ~$35 a couple different places that don't require international shipping.
    Hmm Ok thanks for the input noapathy

Thread already spun
    You're going to elevation, you're effed no matter what.

Go have fun with your friend, they won't care how slow you are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    You're going to elevation, you're effed no matter what.

Go have fun with your friend, they won't care how slow you are.
    Zowie, as much as I appreciate your words, I ordered some 2.6 Nobby nics anyways. I'll try and report back with an opinion.
    Thanks Chris

Thread already spun
    Quote Originally Posted by injected59 View Post
    Zowie, as much as I appreciate your words, I ordered some 2.6 Nobby nics anyways. I'll try and report back with an opinion.
    Thanks Chris
    I'd be interested in hearing if the knobs are taller/larger on the 2.8 vs 2.6.
    Or their older 'regular' sizes, for that matter, if you have a reference.

dirt surfer
    May 2015
    injected, your 2.8’s would be a lot of fun in Salida! The extra volume will help provide a little cushion and should have great traction, a fair trade off compared to rotational weight. I live in CO and enjoy riding Salida when the opportunity arises. Have an Orbea Loki with 3.0’s front and rear, am blown away with the line selections I can take with the plus tires. Whichever way you roll, have a great trip!