mtbr member
    Nov 2010

A short blurb on going tubeless

As a complete rookie to mountain biking I took a leap thinking I'd be albe to go tubeless easily. Here is what I discovered:

It's a breeze!!

I have a new rockhopper with Alex RHD wheels with Spec Captain 2bliss tires and ordered a Stan's plus four 29er kit. The tires came off without tire levers. Stan's rim strip went on very easily after snipping off the stock rimstrip. Tires went back on without tire levers very easily. Poured in the sealant and beaded up like butter without using soap and water. Did the rotate and shake dance for one complete revolution of the tire and they were completely sealed.

I've heard Spec 2bliss tires are pretty good for going tubeless but whatever it was, this install was a piece of cake.

For the weight weenies in the crown, I dropped 2oz per wheel, which isn't much but I'll take it.

Just wanted to chime in and share a conversion story for those on the fence. I rechecked my tire pressure after 24 hours and there was no noticable pressure loss as well.

Former Bike Wrench
    And you didn't even use a UST rim...simply amazing (loads of sarcasm not directed to you)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I had heard good things about specialized tubeless tires that turned out to be accurate, I'm certainly impressed with the tires from a tubeless standpoint. The Stan's rim strip is a gem.