mtbr member

Shimano XT/WTB Laserdisc Trail Wheels

Anybody have any experience with this wheel set?
    Shimano XT/WTB Laserdisc Trail Wheels > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I'm wanting to replace the DT Swiss 420SL wheels that came on my 08 Stumpy FSR.
    I've got broken and bent spokes and I think my freewheel is going out. I never really liked the 420SLs so I don't think it would be worth it to rebuild them. They are real flexy, I want something stiffer and with better hubs. I cant spend more than $200-250 on the set.

Their are no reveiws on the XT/Laserdisc combo in the reviews and I already did a search on the forums and came up with no results.

Any helpful input would be appreciated and rewarded with 2 whole rep points!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    How big are you? I killed the front wheel in less than 5 miles. The spoke tension seemed really low, I trued the back wheel a couple times before just backing off all the spokes and just started over. Been fine since, little flexy though. I weigh ~240 so ymmv.

mtbr member
    I'm about 165 lbs. The broken spokes on my 420SLs where from my derailleur breaking off the hanger and being sucked into the spokes. Low spoke tension and flexy wheels are what I'm trying to get away from though.

I'm with stupid
    I weight 185 and have the wtb traildisc wheels and have not had any issues with them. They even survived a trip to winterpark before I got DH wheels. At 165 you will really have to take some crappy lines to tear them up.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pleepleus View Post
    I'm about 165 lbs. The broken spokes on my 420SLs where from my derailleur breaking off the hanger and being sucked into the spokes. Low spoke tension and flexy wheels are what I'm trying to get away from though.
    I think that it's a good wheel and hub combo, they really are strong rims and xt hubs are functional but vanilla. I'd buy them then back off all the spokes and either build them yourself or bring it to a wheelbuilder you'll still be in the $250 range.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm 215 lbs and my brother is 195. Would these wheels hold up under regular thrashing? We don't go over many drops and when we do its 2 feet. We are looking for a decent budget conscious 29er trail wheel set.
    Last edited by thunderzy; 12-14-2012 at 06:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm 215 lbs and my brother is 195. Would these wheels hold up under regular thrashing? We don't go over many drops and when we do its 2 feet. We are looking for a decent budget conscious 29er trail wheel set.

mtbr member
    XT M756 hubs are plain jane and heavy, but generally pretty durable for most people (Clydesdale riders not withstanding) with regular maintenance. Laserdisc Trail rims are plenty durable as well.

The downside is that these are probably machine built so spoke tension and durability can be spotty. I would at least have a competent mechanic true and tension these properly.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog