El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012

Shimano XT rear Hub/Axel play

Hello, need some pointers...Appreciate any info regarding this..Thanks!!

I have the latest model Xt hubs.

On my rear, I can grab the rear wheel and while moving it side to side, I can see my disc rotor move against and touch the pads in the caliper. Witht he wheel off, I can not discern any play in the axel.

Is it normal to have a little play? Or maybe the hub is out of adjustment? The thing is, I can't FEEL any play, just see the lateral movement of the rotor.

Thanks for any info!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I would start by tightening the QR/axle a bit. If that doesn't solve your problem, grab the cone wrenches.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Should I just try to tighten the non-drive side?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ideally you would re-dish the wheel after snugging up the cones, but it doesn't make a huge difference, unless the hub is really loose.

I would do the left side of the hub, since it is more easily accessible. When you get it just so, with no play/drag, back it off just a bit, to allow for compression of the axle by the QR. It'll take a bit of trial and error, but you'll get it after not too long.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    New (not yet serviced) Shimano rear hubs are notorious for having the cone jam nut come loose on the drive side. At least, I have seen several that have had this happen. It's not difficult to fix if you can remove your cassette, and have a 15mm and 17mm cone wrenches. You'll need to remove (or loosen quite a ways) the cone nuts on the non drive side to get the axle far enough out of the freehub to get cone wrenches on the cone and jam nuts so you can tighten them sufficiently. I usually just remove the whole axle, but if you do that, you will have to deal with the loose ball bearings (usually 9 on each side).

To get the bearing play adjusted correctly, I do that on the non-drive side. I tighten it down a little too tight, and then undo the jam nut about a 1/4 turn, and then tighten back down again. each time you do this, it gets a little looser until you get it where you want it. I like it where the axle has the absolute teeny-tiniest, least amount of detectable 'play' in the bearings. Then, when you snug the QR down, it should be perfect.

Once you tighten the cones back down, they shouldn't give you any more trouble.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Thanks all!! Im going to try the adjustments as soon as i can get my hands on the wrenches!