Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shimano XT M778 15QR UST Wheels Yes or No

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  markw1970 
#1 ·
I've done some research and like always come up with a 50/50 mix on opinion on this wheel set. I'm possibly looking at a set of Shimano XT M778 15QR UST Wheels to put on my new GT Force Carbon Expert. I've seen complaints on the rear hub as well as praises, which I expect to see. My biggest hesitation is the 24 spoke setup. I ride mostly cross country, lots of technical single track and some drops nothing over 4'. But if I decide to head out west I want something that can hold up to some rocks and rougher terrain over what we have in Michigan. So I'm looking for some folks that have them and how well you like them. It seems the trend know days is 24 spoke so how are they hold up and how much flex if any do you notice? My guess is I'll find something with a 32 spoke count but at the same time I don't want to look over something like the XT if it's working well.

#2 ·
With drops of up to 4 feet, you may want to consider a wheelset with more spokes, to provide more even tension along the rim.

Fewer spokes provide minimal weight reduction, but require a stronger rim which usually means a heavier rim. Have you got a budget in mind for your wheelset?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.