Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Shimano XT M775 Wheelset Freehub fails ?

I am currently using a shimano XT M775 wheelset and a few weeks ago my freehub body decided to cave in.

Well the local shimano agencies say then can only get me a new one in January "Crap Shimano local service"

I have been looking around for one and want to know if the following will work for me?

I found the following parts on chainreaction...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=1161

Will the M776 work on my wheelset? as I understand it is the same wheel? but stronger? "freeride"?

I tried to Ask the local shimano guys but they don't seem to want to give me a answer..

Thanks

wants a taco
    though ive never done it im sure it would work...the 776 is their hub designed for their wheelset which seems to just have a different flange than the 775. Most of shimanos freehubs are very similar anyways so yea, go for it

ups and downs
    Here's the exploded diagrams for both wheels

XT775

XT776

The freehubs are the same part numbers for both wheels and for the standard XT hubs.

mtbr member
    thanks... ill order one and see if I get on the bike soon again

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Just wanted to add that my new 08 XT freehub failed also. The freehub feels crunchy when rotated.. yuck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH_WP
    I am currently using a shimano XT M775 wheelset and a few weeks ago my freehub body decided to cave in.

Well the local shimano agencies say then can only get me a new one in January "Crap Shimano local service"

I have been looking around for one and want to know if the following will work for me?

I found the following parts on chainreaction...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=1161

Will the M776 work on my wheelset? as I understand it is the same wheel? but stronger? "freeride"?

I tried to Ask the local shimano guys but they don't seem to want to give me a answer..

Thanks
    My XT wheelset freehubs feels crunchy also, and when I opened it up, it had a broken pawl. After a few weeks, it felt like it broke another pawl or two.

Does the freehub sold by chainreactioncycles include the pawls?
    [SIZE="5"]I bike to EAT![/SIZE]

6'4"-6'9" with the afro
    I would give up on Shimano altogether for hubs. Their freehubs are ridiculously weak. I used to burn them out all the time. Get some Hadleys or Kings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Just to add fuel to the fire, I trashed a nearly new m775 freehub as well but got it fixed under warranty in 4 days... Now am trying to figure why there is tons of drag in the hub. I took off the rotor and chain, adjusted the bearings out way loose and it still drags...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by scocra
    Just to add fuel to the fire, I trashed a nearly new m775 freehub as well but got it fixed under warranty in 4 days... Now am trying to figure why there is tons of drag in the hub. I took off the rotor and chain, adjusted the bearings out way loose and it still drags...
    The washer in there?

mtbr member
    Are all the aforementioned references to Shimano M775 hubs the M775 straight pull hub variant used in their factory wheels? Or are people having issues with their general production M775 standard flanged hubs as well? I'm interested in developing an association between FH quality and production date and/or location...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Mine is an aftermarket hub I picked up at my lbs... as far as the drag issue, I took it apart again and found that the dust cover on the brake side cone had been pushed out of it's groove and was rubbing on the seal ring. I snapped the cover back into place and it rolls much better. I'm still finding these to be a ***** to dial in where they spin super smooth while not making things too loose... been trying the Sheldon Brown method and can't seem to find that sweet spot.

Ride on!
    Scott.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have also have had freewheel (straight pull from CRC) issues with my 08 xt wheel. A couple of times after fast runs on warm days it kind of siezes and becomes like a fixie temporarily. Seems to settle down after a while but its a worry particularly given level of gear and usage.

I would have done less the 600km and less than 4 months old. I will try and claim under warranty else may just buy a spare 775 hub - as buying the bits seems more expense.

I dismantled and cleaned everything just to make sure there wasnt anything caught between freehub and hub body. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?

ADIDAB
    I had the freehub on my XT M775 fail after about 6 months. It was the standard flanged hub. Had it replaced and all seems OK but we'll see how it goes. I've had previous Shimano hubs such as early model XTR's with zero issues so was a little disappointed that this didn't last very long.

Next hubset will be either DT, Hope or CK...
    My LBS | Riding this and this

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by CFoster
    Are all the aforementioned references to Shimano M775 hubs the M775 straight pull hub variant used in their factory wheels? Or are people having issues with their general production M775 standard flanged hubs as well? I'm interested in developing an association between FH quality and production date and/or location...
    The freehubs are the same in both XT hub models.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i have an 08 m775 flanged hub on my other bike and havent experienced any issues with that but i wil keep an eye out - tempted to disassemble and regrease just in case. Have been reluctant to remove seal of free hub in case i damage it - i read somewhere you can clean with solvent, blow dry, then reapply lubricant (not sure if its grease or oil??)

isnt it fun trying to find a 14mm allen key!

6'4"-6'9" with the afro
    Yes! I've had it happen 3x. That exactly what happens before the freehub body fails. Kind of like chain suck, but on the cassette, not the chainring. Be careful because it might fail under load and you could hurt yourself (knee on the stem). Or get stuck miles from your car which is what happened to me twice -- once in the summer in Phoenix and I had to walk back about 6 miles (not fun) and once on vacation in Durango and had to end my ride way too early.

Get a CK or Hadley w/ a SS freehub body and don't get stranded.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Sheesh, I swear Shimano said they’d fixed this earlier in the year. Mine lasted about 4 months before they went, can’t believe the amount of components I’ve been binning lately…
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I just found an interesting page detailing another guy's experience and answering a question of mine which was: Why are there only 12 balls on the drive side when you could easily fit 13? I'm going to call shimano tomorrow and ask.... anyways the site is:
    http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?tit...reehub_Failure

Ride On,
    Scott.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    The washer in there?
    Hey Ratt,
    What would the washer do that would stop it from flexing / cause it to drag? I need to get a 14mm hex to check if the washer is in there but I just replaced the bearings and tweaked it and it is still really flexing side to side... I have the bearings tight enough so it has to be something else. I'm going to track down a wrench and take the freehub off etc because something's not right and that is the only thing I haven't taken apart 5 times. This hub is really starting to piss me off... maybe the FH body fixing bolt is loose?

Ride On,
    Scott.

mtbr member

Wheel & hub opinion

sorry, wrong thread

Thx

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Has anyone tried the XTR freehub body?

It says it's interchangeable with the XT hub in the techdocs here.

Does the XTR suffer from the same pissweak pawls as the XTR?

mtbr member
    Hi Jaseg
    The freehub on the XT wheelset is the same as the XT hub , "lookign at the product codes"
    so the following will work. FH-M770 , FH-M975 , FH - M775.
    I would assume the XTR would be more durable as my current XTR hub has lasted since 2004.

Going to see if I can get any of the following somewhere online.. My local Shimano agent tells me they can only help in June...pathetic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'll be trying the XTR freehub for sure if the freehub on the XT wheelset under the Christmas tree blows.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jaseh
    Has anyone tried the XTR freehub body?

It says it's interchangeable with the XT hub in the techdocs here.

Does the XTR suffer from the same pissweak pawls as the XTR?

I have the XTR M975 hub bought from CRC and came across this thread because I was experiencing the same symptom. The crunching sound inst as apparent as some described here but I hear it time to time when backpedaling. I have less than 500 miles on them since purchase a year ago.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have the XTR M975 hub bought from CRC and came across this thread because I was experiencing the same symptom. The crunching sound inst as apparent as some described here but I hear it time to time when backpedaling. I have less than 500 miles on them since purchase a year ago.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast