Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member

Re: Shimano XT M775 Wheelset Freehub fails ?

Another ring to consider, buy a whole hub off of e bay. Then use the freewheel from that. Leaves you with a backup axle, spacers, caps and such. And you wanted the extra hub body as a cool desk accessory.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah, I did this. I bought 2 XT hubs from Chain reaction because it was better value than buying a freehub alone (Also bought 2 rear wheels and countless freehub boddies).

Trouble is, they were both faulty from NEW, like every single Shimano freehub I have owned in the last 10 years or so, they would occasionally slip 1 pawl / ratchet during every ride. Just enough to ruin confidence in the bike, and ruin the ride.
    Stay away from every Shimano XT or similar rear hub from early 2000's right up to those from as late as 2012 (after that date, or SLX models etc I cant comment).

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    add another to the list. i cracked a 785 freehub just the same as the rest of you. i have enough spare parts to rebuild twice so we'll see how long that lasts. i should have just bought chris king from the start. more money sure, but, you never have to worry about them breaking

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    i should have just bought chris king from the start. more money sure, but, you never have to worry about them breaking
    buy the best, you'll always be happy with what you got.

I got mine used from fleabay, sent them to CK for a rebuild. good as new, cheaper than new. Colors don't match though. oh well.
    My bike MCA kinda climbs like a billy-goat. WOO WOO!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've also had two M785 hubs fail in this way. I'm about to replace the second one. Does anyone know of any non Shimano hub that's the same dimensions as the M785 so I can use the same spokes?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wdphil View Post
    I've also had two M785 hubs fail in this way. I'm about to replace the second one. Does anyone know of any non Shimano hub that's the same dimensions as the M785 so I can use the same spokes?
    don't re-use spokes.
    My bike MCA kinda climbs like a billy-goat. WOO WOO!

meow, meow.
    It's totally OK to reuse spokes if all of the following conditions are met:

1. High quality of wheel build (spoke tensions are high, equal per side, and stable over time).
    2. Spoke tensions have been checked and restored soon after every incident that could damage the rim or the spokes directly.
    3. There was no damage done to spokes by foreign objects entering the wheel, such as trying to pedal with chain derailed from the biggest cog, tree branches, rocks, another bike's pedal in bike collision, being kicked by a horse (also a real case from my practice), etc. Any spokes left intact in a wheel that suffered spoke collision, can still be reused if all other listed conditions hold.
    4. There were no spoke fatigue failures in the wheel.

4wdphil,
    I don't recall many hubs having effective flange diameters similar to Shimano's 44-ish mm on both sides. Centerlock versions of DT Swiss 240S or 350 should work. If you choose a typical Taiwanese hub (they tend to have effective flange diameter of 58 mm on both sides), your spokes are going to be too long by 1.5-2 mm on each side. That's no reason to avoid reusing them unless they were already too long in the original wheel. I'd take brass nipples for such a build.
    Last edited by J. Random Psycho; 11-06-2015 at 10:11 AM. Reason: added 4th condition for spoke reuse

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks, much appreciated Random Psycho.

J. Random Psycho;12294361]It's totally OK to reuse spokes if all of the following conditions are met:

1. High quality of wheel build (spoke tensions are high, equal per side, and stable over time).
    2. Spoke tensions have been checked and restored soon after every incident that could damage the rim or the spokes directly.
    3. There was no damage done to spokes by foreign objects entering the wheel, such as trying to pedal with chain derailed from the biggest cog, tree branches, rocks, another bike's pedal in bike collision, being kicked by a horse (also a real case from my practice), etc. Any spokes left intact in a wheel that suffered spoke collision, can still be reused if conditions (1) and (2) hold.
    4. There were no spoke fatigue failures in the wheel.

4wdphil,
    I don't recall many hubs having effective flange diameters similar to Shimano's 44-ish mm on both sides. Centerlock versions of DT Swiss 240S or 350 should work. If you choose a typical Taiwanese hub (they tend to have effective flange diameter of 58 mm on both sides), your spokes are going to be too long by 1.5-2 mm on each side. That's no reason to avoid reusing them unless they were already too long in the original wheel. I'd take brass nipples for such a build.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    I always heard these things broke a lot. Mine has almost 1000miles on it now and its still going strong. I bought a back up freehub just incase but so far its been good.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

Pickin' n' Grinnin'
    I have had 3 of these XT hubs fail on me over the last few years. Simply put, junk. The last one started it's popping/skipping on my trainer! I have Chris King on the MTB now and I'll have to build up new wheels for the Surly next. Other 29er wheel is in the spares pile. So, one 26 mtb, one 29 mtb and one 700/29 road/gravel bike.
    Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away...

Magically Delicious
    As a curiosity, have you ever serviced (lubricated) the Shimano freehub? When I still had Shimano freehubs, I performed regular maintenance and lubrication and managed to never have a failure for more than 10,000 miles. Given the many failures of these freehubs, I might have just been lucky.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    When I still had Shimano freehubs, I performed regular maintenance and lubrication and managed to never have a failure for more than 10,000 miles.
    Which models were the hubs (basically, did they have steel or aluminum axles)?

Magically Delicious
    I think these were all steel axles. However, I don't think this would have any effect on the freehubs. Do you believe differently?

meow, meow.
    I saw freehubs on aluminum axle Shimano hubs fail much quicker than on steel axle ones. Pawl shape is very different, thinner and wider on the former. And the way they are sprung isn't convincing either.

Shimano has also taken measures to complicate freehub maintenance on aluminum axle models. The inboard seal isn't removable any more and the cup is harder to unscrew without breaking it.

Magically Delicious

Lubricating a Shimano Freehub without disassembly

In this case, I'm lubing with a very light Freehub specific grease, but, the syringe can inject any lubricant (liquid or grease) that you prefer.

Shimano XT M775 Wheelset Freehub fails ?-img_6765.jpg

Shimano XT M775 Wheelset Freehub fails ?-img_6766.jpg

Shimano XT M775 Wheelset Freehub fails ?-img_6768.jpg

Shimano XT M775 Wheelset Freehub fails ?-img_6769.jpg

Shimano XT M775 Wheelset Freehub fails ?-img_6770.jpg

meow, meow.
    I've never had a Morningstar tool, alas. I simply use elbow grease and a can with kerosene.

The aluminum axle type freehubs need a less viscous grease than what they come with indeed (ideally an oil bath) or just some 1 ml of heavy gear oil. And more frequent maintenance than the steel axle type.

Still, regular maintenance can only prevent pawl/teeth failure scenarios, not the entire freehub body cracking.

Edit: fixed typo
    Last edited by J. Random Psycho; 02-29-2016 at 12:39 PM.

~ B A D A S S ~
    did shimano ever explain why the alu axle hubs cracked? Was it a sh1tty design or was it some heat treat problem?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    Still, regular maintenance can only prevent pawl/teeth failure scenarios, not the entire freehub body cracking.
    No doubt on the freehub body cracking and I have seen a few of those here on MTBR.

Class Clown
    Is this still an issue on XT hubs. They are so cheap and I don't mind cup/cone but damn there seems to be alot of horror stories.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    Is this still an issue on XT hubs. They are so cheap and I don't mind cup/cone but damn there seems to be alot of horror stories.
    Maybe it's a total crap shoot? I've been running on M775 XT since I had my wheels built in 2010 with absolutely ZERO issues. I'm a Clydesdale , and I ride hard. But I also live in the desert and seldom do mud.

mtbr member

Shimano XT M775 Wheelset Freehub fails ?

I got a bike with shimano rm35 hubs for commuting. First year blew a free hub light trail riding. Then the next year split the freehub body trail riding. Lbs put a slx on and it worked for the rest of the summer. This spring i blew it on a steep short hill i was sprinting. Then i got a replacement and blew it in one ride.....

Lbs sold me a sun ringle black flag wheel as i was in a xc race that sunday and it lasted 2 xc races and 5 weeks of riding and i snapped the pawls in it on a short sprint climb.

Also last winter i snapped the pawls in my farley in the fall, then chipped one this spring. I break stuff. On the fence on a 350 big ride or a onyx hub for the farley for this winter.
    2015 Trek Farley 6

2016 Specialized Diverge Sport

2017 Trek Top Fuel 9

Class Clown
    I have the 756 so I'll see how it goes. might start building up some new wheels just incase with hope or dt swiss.

funny enough years ago I rode some cheap Shimano hubs probably Alivio for quite awhile with no issues.

Magically Delicious
    The Shimano hub pictured in post #115 above has just over 10,000 trouble-free miles on it. I realize this has not been the case for many here, but for me personally, it has been issue free. I have another one with about 2,600 miles on it and it too, has been trouble-free.

I believe ongoing freehub maintenance (as shown in post #115) could have played a role in avoiding internal self-destruction, but the cracking of the splined freehub bodies are not preventable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123