Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I also had the hub on my 08 XT wheelset fail after only a few months of riding. LBS shipped it back to Shimano and got it back about 2 weeks later. Been about 6 months now and no issues so far.
    Cannondale Rush *5z

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I bought my wheelset (only the hub is shimano) online. Can I take the defective wheel to any Shimano dealer (like the LBS) to have them ship to shimano for warranty service? LBS was reluctant to help me the last time I tried to service my Manitou fork (bought from some online store). Answer technician however said any manitou dealer should be able to help me send my fork back for warranty service. I will check with Shimano first thing Monday. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had a M775 XT rear hub just totally die on Tuesday. Sucks. Glad to hear other people are having problems too.

STAY AWAY FROM THESE HUBS.

Contacting Shimano is a hassle and a run around.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Bump for continued opinions. As a budget hub with decent engagement, people should know if they need to stay away from it.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I have two. Over 8 months of use with no problems.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

All 26.5" all the time!
    Most people will balk at the thought of overhauling brand new hubs, but it's always worked for me.

I've been using and abusing XT hubs since 1990 with no problems. Of course, the freehub bodies get purged of the thin oil from the factory and replaced with a thin grease. This isn't advised by Shimano, but then again, they are in the business of selling replacement parts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had one fail on me yesterday. M775 hub that I laced up. I'd estimate the wheel had less than 200 miles on it, and no wet-weather or muddy riding. I'm relatively light and easy on equipment. I've ran Shimano hubs on the MTB pretty much exclusively for the last 8 years (with many, many more miles and tons of muddy races), and this is the first freehub failure I've had.

I'll try the warranty route, but I went ahead and ordered a spare freehub from Jenson as they seem to be one of the few places that have them in stock. Park also now has a 14mm hex wrench, so I guess I'll be ordering one of those as well.

Has Shimano fixed this issue, or should I expect the likelihood of another failure to be relatively high?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anyone have any more news on this?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i have this wheel set as well, and i have noticed that when i have the wheel spinning quickly freewheeling while the cassette is still it sways around as if buckled. could this be a problem in my freewheel or is my cassette past it? my wheel was buckled but i think i have it running quite true now.

Want to vent?
    The freehub finally died on my 776's. First time this has ever happened to me through many different sets of wheels. Clearly something is wrong with these things?!? I am not too happy with the product....
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Does the 2009 M775 wheelset have the same freehub issues as the 2008 M775 wheelset? Is there any chance that Shimano addressed this issue for the current model?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    i have the m770 on my 700c touring-turned-commuter bike. i am very gentle on my equipment, and it has only seen rain less than a handful of times.

yesterday, the freehub turned into a fixed gear. since i bought the wheels online, i have to source a wheel box from an LBS and ship the wheel back to colorado. i would remove the freehub myself, but no one in town has a 14mm hex key. somewhat ironic because shimano is just an hour north from me (san diego).

mtbr member
    While riding the other day, my bike started to get progressively harder to pedal. The rear hub was starting to seize up. When I got home I disassembled everything and it looks like the freehub was not properly torqued and worked its way outward, binding the hub. In the process it looks like the inner bearing race of the freehub received damage. The disk side of the hub bearing race appears to be OK and after cleaning and repacking, the bearings feel smooth. I 'm going to order a new freehub but I was wondering if the freehub body fixing bolt comes with the new free hub? According to the schematic I have, it should come out of the frrehub, but mine does not.
    This bike/hub has about 400 miles on it and I never disassembled before to check everything for proper torque.
    Also, anyone have any suggetions on the best place to order online from?

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830728616.pdf

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by vmaxx4 View Post
    While riding the other day, my bike started to get progressively harder to pedal. The rear hub was starting to seize up. When I got home I disassembled everything and it looks like the freehub was not properly torqued and worked its way outward, binding the hub. In the process it looks like the inner bearing race of the freehub received damage. The disk side of the hub bearing race appears to be OK and after cleaning and repacking, the bearings feel smooth. I 'm going to order a new freehub but I was wondering if the freehub body fixing bolt comes with the new free hub? According to the schematic I have, it should come out of the frrehub, but mine does not.
    This bike/hub has about 400 miles on it and I never disassembled before to check everything for proper torque.
    Also, anyone have any suggetions on the best place to order online from?

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830728616.pdf
    All of the replacement 770/775 freehub bodies that I have seen come with the bolt, and the bolt is removable (just pops out when you push on it).

Hope that helps,

-D

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wow, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one having issues. But get this: I have some old bikes from the 90's too, and ALL of those have GOOD freehubs...even the cheap ones!

I don't know how Shimano could have screwed this up so badly?

Quote Originally Posted by Crashman1 View Post
    Wow, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one having issues. But get this: I have some old bikes from the 90's too, and ALL of those have GOOD freehubs...even the cheap ones!

I don't know how Shimano could have screwed this up so badly?
    The 775 is the only FH I have had fail (twice, two different hubs--which is an update from my reply of several years ago). The newer replacements have been fine, and reportedly Shimano made a change after the failures in the early production.

Seems there were some strength issues when going to a faster engagement and a larger diameter axle. Less room for the pawls and ratchet.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The 775 is the only FH I have had fail (twice, two different hubs--which is an update from my reply of several years ago). The newer replacements have been fine, and reportedly Shimano made a change after the failures in the early production.

Seems there were some strength issues when going to a faster engagement and a larger diameter axle. Less room for the pawls and ratchet.
    Is there a way to identify the newer freehub bodies?

Quote Originally Posted by BitterDave View Post
    Is there a way to identify the newer freehub bodies?
    I doubt that the old versions are still around. Mine failed 2 years ago when about a year old. The replacements were fine. The problems were identified in the the first few months of release.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Stay away from shimano xt hubs

Hi,

given the history documented on this site and my own recent experience involving two hubs, it is hard to reach any other conclusion.

I built what was to be my enduro big trip wheelset with XT hubs a couple of months back, for my 29er. The week before my Moab trip the freehub failed and I had to coast down from a training ride. I learned that Shimano makes a 29er specific hub, the M629, which, to the best of my research, features a stronger freehub to tolerate the higher forces that can be placed on the mechanism. "My fault," I thought, wrong hub for the application.

I bought the M629 hub and had it fedexed to my place, and built it into the wheel, thankfully it has the same flange dimensions so the spokes were the same. Moab went fine, including slickrock, which admittedly places enormous strains on any freehub. But just last week after a big riding day in Oregon the M629 free hub failed.

Admittedly - I am hard on a hub. I am 170lbs and ride a 29er with the associated higher forces on the freehub when you are in lowest gear, furthermore I like to ride up really steep stuff, and I do so a lot. But this is mountain biking, right, you would think an XT would be rated to handle a guy a lot heavier than me riding up stuff.

The irony is that my "race" lightweight wheelset, with dt revolution spokes and a dt 240 hub has performed flawlessly for 20 months of continuous abuse including bad weather and brutally steep climbs, while two Shimano hubs have failed within 2 months. I disassembled and examined the dt 240 freehub recently, the famed star ratchet, and it is in pristine condition.

So, my experience poses 2 questions:

1) I have heard, but do not know, that the XTR freehub is better than the XT, but I have also heard that it is more delicate because of titanium bits, does this one for the extra money perform more reliably?

2) Another question, is there an economical hub with a decent freehub. We all know that DT 240, CK, Hadley, have great freehubs, but can you get a rear freehub at a reasonable price that functions well?

Hope this report helps...

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by bikengineer View Post
    Hi,

given the history documented on this site and my own recent experience involving two hubs, it is hard to reach any other conclusion.....

So, my experience poses 2 questions:

1) I have heard, but do not know, that the XTR freehub is better than the XT, but I have also heard that it is more delicate because of titanium bits, does this one for the extra money perform more reliably?

2) Another question, is there an economical hub with a decent freehub. We all know that DT 240, CK, Hadley, have great freehubs, but can you get a rear freehub at a reasonable price that functions well?

Hope this report helps...
    I went through a couple of the XT freehubs before moving to the XTR, and I've not had it fail yet. Every now and then it will make a slight pop, seemingly if you try to engage the freehub mid-ratchet cycle. While this gives pause for thought, it has not caused any issues. I do bring a spare XT freehub on trips, just in case, though, as there is the infrequent report of an XTR failing. I'll have to add that Shimano has been great about the warranty.

As for relatively inexpensive but reliable hubs, folks seem to like the Hopes. I've not used them personally, so I can't say how they hold up to someone who is really hard on freehubs (most folks aren't). Personally, I've broken 5 over the years: XT, Dura-Ace and Ultegra, so I know how frustrating it can be, especially if the break ends up turning your bike into a fixed gear, which is what happened to me at the top of the Middle fork Trail at MBO.

-D

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~ View Post
    I went through a couple of the XT freehubs before moving to the XTR, and I've not had it fail yet. Every now and then it will make a slight pop, seemingly if you try to engage the freehub mid-ratchet cycle. While this gives pause for thought, it has not caused any issues. I do bring a spare XT freehub on trips, just in case, though, as there is the infrequent report of an XTR failing. I'll have to add that Shimano has been great about the warranty.

As for relatively inexpensive but reliable hubs, folks seem to like the Hopes. I've not used them personally, so I can't say how they hold up to someone who is really hard on freehubs (most folks aren't). Personally, I've broken 5 over the years: XT, Dura-Ace and Ultegra, so I know how frustrating it can be, especially if the break ends up turning your bike into a fixed gear, which is what happened to me at the top of the Middle fork Trail at MBO.

-D
    I chip the teeth gradually, which eventually turns the freehub into a no-gear. I think I'd rather be fixed-gear than pushing along the ground like a scooter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    This past monday night while riding uphill, i felt a drag like the brake was on. Stopped, spun the rear wheel and noticed a lot of drag on the rotor. Re-checked the skewer and still had drag. Getting dark, so I figure I would head down and get out and inspect at home. About 300 yards later, the hub totally freezes (not the freehub, but the axle itself) blows up the skewer, pops the cone cap off and rottates the wheel within the frame which completely trashes the rotor.

5 mile walk out carrying the bike and wheel in the dark with 6,000 mosquitos as close firends of mine.

Take it to LBS as it was a stock wheel M775 on a bike purchased there and the mechanic is amazed at how bad it seized. Shimano steps up and is sending a wheel, rotor, and skewer ou this week.

2010 wheelset. Any ideas as to what would have caused the axle to seize. Only about 500 miles on the wheel since new.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmybagadonuts View Post
    This past monday night while riding uphill, i felt a drag like the brake was on. Stopped, spun the rear wheel and noticed a lot of drag on the rotor. Re-checked the skewer and still had drag. Getting dark, so I figure I would head down and get out and inspect at home. About 300 yards later, the hub totally freezes (not the freehub, but the axle itself) blows up the skewer, pops the cone cap off and rottates the wheel within the frame which completely trashes the rotor.

5 mile walk out carrying the bike and wheel in the dark with 6,000 mosquitos as close firends of mine.

Take it to LBS as it was a stock wheel M775 on a bike purchased there and the mechanic is amazed at how bad it seized. Shimano steps up and is sending a wheel, rotor, and skewer ou this week.

2010 wheelset. Any ideas as to what would have caused the axle to seize. Only about 500 miles on the wheel since new.
    Yeh, I had an XT hub like that a long time ago. The right-side lock nut was loose, allowing the bearing cone to self-tighten. This only happens on the right side, because the left-side bearing cone spins towards the locknut when you're rolling forward.

This is normally a manufacturer mistake because mechanics work from the left side.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I agree with the guy above regarding the stuff produced in the 1990's, it was so reliable and I rarely heard of failed freehubs, and that was with almost no maintenance! I get the feeling that the quality if metal has diminished.All I know is that there are still alot of old 90's era stuff running fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    these are the best xt hubs ive had
    Deore XT Freehub M756 - 6 Bolt Disc

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast