mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Shimano XT 142x12 rear hub toast after 500km

Moved from Shimano forum
    After approx 500km on the Shimano XT 788 rearhub it started to make loud grinding noises when pedalling and at other times when freewheeling.Yesterday it also seized completely turning bike into a 2x9 Fixie.Managed to "break" it loose again and made it home.
    Took cassette off and freehubbody shell was split in 4 !
    uploaded some pics here

https://picasaweb.google.com/casparbc/788Freilauf

Anybody else have this bad luck with xt,xtr or saint 12mm hubs ? is this the ISIS of 12mm hubs, or was I just unlucky ?

Cheers Caspar

mtbr member
    Screams Warranty to me!!!!! never seen it before.

banned
    Mar 2012
    I thought I read somewhere that Shimano products get their best performance in miles and weren't really meant for riding in km's. I suspect that's what's going on here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    A friend of mine wanted to take the bumper off his truck he brought me a 1 1/4 socket which I put on my 3/8 drive Sears craftsman socket wrench. All four nuts were seized so all 4 bolts broke. The craftsman was not damaged. Shimano does not know how to make a ratchet keep returning them until they figure it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Wow, that's a bummer. I have the same XT 788 12x142 hub, and I've put over 2000 miles (3200 km) on it without any trouble or maintenance. I ride/race XC, and I only weigh 155 lbs (70 kg) so I am not the type of rider to break many hubs. This hub is designed for XC use, so if you are a very aggressive rider you may want to buy a stronger hub. Otherwise, if you replace the free hub you will probably be fine in the future.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Blew it again !

Blew the second freehub tdy , what a piece of c... this 788 hub.
    Aprox same amount of riding time on the second freehub and there she blow !
    Been on Xt hubs for some 20+ yrs , cant belive Shimano could make such a lemon.

Obviously freehub is undersized , theres some tiny steel balls in there to make room for the 12mm axel.
    No more Shimano rearhubs for me EVER !
    Luckily I got the 12x142 axelkit for my hadley rearhub last week , time for a new wheelbuild !

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by caspar View Post
    Blew the second freehub tdy , what a piece of c... this 788 hub.
    Aprox same amount of riding time on the second freehub and there she blow !
    Been on Xt hubs for some 20+ yrs , cant belive Shimano could make such a lemon.

Obviously freehub is undersized , theres some tiny steel balls in there to make room for the 12mm axel.
    No more Shimano rearhubs for me EVER !
    Luckily I got the 12x142 axelkit for my hadley rearhub last week , time for a new wheelbuild !
    Sadly the XT hubs have been a disaster the last few years...but the SLX ones are rock solid with Cro-Mo axles and heavy duty 32poe freehub bodies.

Universal Cycles -- Shimano HB-M678 SLX Centerlock Rear Hub - 2013

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Sadly the XT hubs have been a disaster the last few years...but the SLX ones are rock solid with Cro-Mo axles and heavy duty 32poe freehub bodies.

Universal Cycles -- Shimano HB-M678 SLX Centerlock Rear Hub - 2013
    Doubt very much SLX will be any different . My guess is only diff btwn XT and SLX is alloy vs steel axel , to meet diff. pricepoint. Hubshell and freehub is prob. the same , and freehub shell cant be any beefier as it still has to make room for the hollow 12mm axel.and pawls and ratcheing mech. inside freehubbody.

Maybe XTR will hold up as freehub shell is Titanium.....?
    I dont know and will not spend money to find out , from now on its Hadley for me

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've had the EXACT same thing happen to me with an SLX hub.

The M678 hub had maybe 5 rides on it when it exploded. It seized up (luckily near the start of a ride) into a fixed hub, sending my chain into the crankset when I coasted. When a bike shop mechanic removed the cassette, the freehub shell fell onto the shop floor in 4 or 5 fragments. The fragments look just like Caspar's.

The hub was warrantied, but not until after I had bought a new rear wheel to get me rolling again (I was in a pinch, and now I'm out $250). Hopefully this won't happen again with the replacement freehub. Not very reassuring though.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    That is a bummer. I am a fan of Shimano. I hope I got a good one. I have XTR 988, and would imagine that Titanium is much weaker than stainless steel. My single speed Chris King is flawless (stainless drive shell). I WILL sell XTR set at first breakage/warranty freehub. Maybe I will stick with made in USA from now on. Always wanted White Industries.

mtbr member
    As per this new thread I posted, am wondering what the current situation is with Shimano 142x12 hubs?
    Are some models of the current Shimano hubs (Deore, SLX, XT etc) considered more/less problematic than others?
    Thanks...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yep, I had exactly the same thing after ~800km. Only freehub shell on mine was split in two, like a walnut. I bought the wheel from Wiggle.com, and they just refunded me. A pity, as I liked the wheel, the UST and how stiff it was. Got SLX version instead, and while cheaper, it is not quite the same. And After many freehub failures, I do not expect them to last - just consider yourself lucky if it happens inside the warranty period :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    To update, I had the issue happen a SECOND time, on the warrantied/replacement hub.
    Again, the SLX M678 freehub shell cracked and fragmented.

CRC once again replaced the hub without hassle. But I'm on the fence about about rebuilding the wheel.. the hub exploding seems a matter of when rather than if.

Photos from the 1st time:
    Shimano XT 142x12 rear hub toast after 500km-img_5776s.jpgShimano XT 142x12 rear hub toast after 500km-img_5782s.jpg

and the 2nd time:
    Shimano XT 142x12 rear hub toast after 500km-img_20140329_145029s.jpg

~ B A D A S S ~
    Jra?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Jra?
    That's cute.

I ride a trail bike on, well, trails. I'm not the smoothest or lightest rider, but I'm not taking it to any DH parks either. I'd say pretty typical stuff for anyone who identifies themselves somewhere in the XC to AM range.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    welcome to the club. there are a couple treads going on the quality of the 788. after the pain of replacing, waiting and wondering if another was gonna blow i saved up some clams and made ordered a chris king hub.

mtbr member
    Get it fixed and sell it, if the SLX isn't going to hold up then nothing from Shimano will. I'd step up to a DT or White Industries for a new centerlock hub.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member

Shimano XT 142x12 rear hub toast after 500km

So this problem affects SLX and XT hubs? Basically there are no known Shimano hubs that DONT have this issue? Can that be right? Thanks...

~ B A D A S S ~
    I have not had this issue, but I'm 70kg. and never used the xt only slx 9mm qr.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Did this on two XT wheels in the last two years, one with only ~30 mi. on it.

According to Shimano, they had a very large batch of bad freehub shells, (the freehub I cracked this year was NOS) and if replaced on warranty, they shouldn't crack again. I replaced one about halfway through the summer last year, and it stayed intact, and the one I replaced this year is okay so far. Riding pretty rowdy on an SB-66.

Its pretty easy to keep an eye out for, I.E., identify before it seizes up. If your cassette is wiggling, its broken. Keep an ear on your shifting too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I went through two of these in a year. They warranted one of them. I put a thousand miles on that bike in a year, but I dont think I should need to go through two of them. And to make it even more of a pain in the ass, the availability of replacement freehub bodies was NOT good. Had to wait weeks the second time.

passed out in your garden

Re: Shimano XT 142x12 rear hub toast after 500km

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post

Its pretty easy to keep an eye out for, I.E., identify before it seizes up. If your cassette is wiggling, its broken. Keep an ear on your shifting too.
    Damn!!!, found my cassette wiggling on Sunday, new XT hub with only ~500kms, its currently at lbs, ld feared this may happen, lm 95kgs
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

passed out in your garden
    I was expecting a fight, but my lbs said they know of the problem, and that its a warranty replacement that has been done and to come and pick it up

Then I asked "what if it happens again?", and was assured that Shimano have rectified the issue and I should be ok. If not then I go back again and I go to something else a little better............ will have to wait and see
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Had the same kind of issue with my SLX freehub see picture :

http://i60.tinypic.com/2wndbnt.jpg

The LBS sent the Wheel to Rocky Mountain, which replaced the freehub a couple weeks ago.

But yesterday, I removed my cassette and I feel like the freehub is not turning freely as it should, like its grinding inside.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Remove the freehub from the hub and dunk it in white spirit (and let soak), dry it out (with perhaps acetone) then dunk it in oil.

Specialized sucks ass.