mtbr member

Shimano WH-M775 10 speed - Freehub Play

Is the freehub supposed to have a smidge of play? Reason why I ask is today I went out and noticed underload I get what feels like clicking and random slippage. I saw the Shimano manual and it says I need a 14mm allen to adjust the freehub, which I don't have, but will get if I do need to tighten the sucker down to eliminate all the play.

Had to take it easy and cut the ride short and make it home
    Last edited by parkp81; 06-26-2011 at 08:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Ok,

I went to Napa and got a 14mm allen wrench and checked to see if the freehub fixing bolt was loose or not. It was not loose, but I removed it anyways then cleaned everything, re-greased, and put some blue loctite on the bolt.

The freehub still has some play, pretty much same as before. Still would like to know if this is normal or not.

Lastly, I found out why I am having this skipping, slipping, and clicking!!! The Shimano HGX chain had a link that was broken! The pin was backing out and the chains outer plates are bent, which was causing it to catch. Now for a new chain,

mtbr member
    Did you get an answer to this question? I am laboring with the same problem.

mtbr member
    Yes the hub is supposed to have a smidge amount of play when out of the dropouts. It took me a good few tries to get it right as it was my first time doing a hub adjustment.

Former Bike Wrench
    Shimano freehub bodies always have a small amount of play, it is inherent in their design where the pawls and ratchet are all self contained in the body. So it also has it's own bearings (lots of little ones), cups, and cones. This freehub body play is completely independent of the hub bearing play and the freehub body fixing bolt does not adjust it.

pyroclastic flow
    I had my chain go off of the cassette and between the spokes and cass. I wasnt aware of what had happened and tried to pedal but nothing. I got off the bike got the chain back onto the cassette, inspected the spokes and hub....no damage sans little scratches on my spokes and xtr hub. I rode up the hill i was stuck on and around. I got off the bike to look around again and while holding my rear brake the bike moved back and forth about a half inch. Inspecting the movement i noticed the hub was moving independently of the rotor and the cassette.
    How big of a problem is this?
    "THE FACT IS THIS FRICTION WILL ONLY BE WORN BY PERSISTENCE"
    2009 PIVOT MACH 4

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by troyer2112 View Post
    I had my chain go off of the cassette and between the spokes and cass. I wasnt aware of what had happened and tried to pedal but nothing. I got off the bike got the chain back onto the cassette, inspected the spokes and hub....no damage sans little scratches on my spokes and xtr hub. I rode up the hill i was stuck on and around. I got off the bike to look around again and while holding my rear brake the bike moved back and forth about a half inch. Inspecting the movement i noticed the hub was moving independently of the rotor and the cassette.
    How big of a problem is this?
    If your hub is moving independently of your rotor...your rotor is loose and the bolts (6 bolt) or lockring (Centerlock) needs to be tightened.

Your freehub has points of engagement that range from 16 to 36 on Shimano hubs depending on the model. This means the hub could move up to 22.5 degrees before the freehub body engages...so no big deal there.

pyroclastic flow
    THANK YOU MTNBIKER72. hopefully this is the only thing wrong. I did check the rotor is loose so im off to the bike shop to have it tightened for i dont have the center lock tool.
    "THE FACT IS THIS FRICTION WILL ONLY BE WORN BY PERSISTENCE"
    2009 PIVOT MACH 4