mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Shimano M965 XTR disc hubs with Mavic 717 V-brake rims?

I am building up another bike and am looking for some good deals and this V-brake wheelset from Bicycle wheel warehouse looks interesting but I was wondering if there would be any problems using the XTR Disc hubs with V-brake rims like the 717 XC's.

I would think it would be ok but was wondering what others think. If i don't get this wheelset I'll likely get either a Shimano XT770 factory wheelset or a Shimano 770xt hubset/ Mavic 717 ceramic rims. Any opinions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There is no performance issue at all with using a hub with disc brake mounts on rims for rim brakes. The only issue I have is with looks. The boot that goes over the centerlock splines isn't pretty, and when buying XTR level stuff that's something I think about.

The whole point of a wheelset like that is to allow you to upgrade to disc brakes without having to replace the hub. If this is something you're considering, I'd say go for it. That being said, the Bicycle wheel warehouse prices are pretty killer and it isn't a bad way to get XTR grade stuff on the cheap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I did something very similar in that when I built my bike I bought disc ready hubs but rims for rim brakes and initially installed V-brakes. My thought was that some day I might want to upgrade to disc but didn't know any reason to at that time. Besides I had already purchased a groupset with V-brakes. I didn't even know what type of riding I would get into. As it turned out a couple of rather muddy rides taught me a lot. Main thing was that mud and rim brakes are a bad combination. So to upgrade when I finally made the decision was relatively simple - get the disc brakes, remove the V-brakes, install the disc brakes. No new wheels, No wheel rebuild to add disc compatible hubs. Dont get me wrong. They both stop the bike adequately except if the rims are muddy. And now I know more my biking interest and it frequently enough leads through some muddy places and I made no mistake switching to disc nor did I make a mistake starting with V-brakes. No problem using a disc hub with V-brakes as long as the rim is rim brake compatible. It'll likely save you money in the long run.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save