mtbr member

shimano m529 vs. sram 506?

i could use some advice in deciding between wheelsets. i am looking at:

shimano m529 hubs with alex dp 20 rims
    sram 506 hubs with dt x470 rims

i did a search and found mixed results on the hubs and rims separately, but would like to compare the two. anybody have any experience on either or both? or know why one would be better than the other? appreciate the help.

Former Bike Wrench
    I have a X470 rim that has been a good XC choice. The Alex DP20 appears to be more of a trail/am rim with a 27mm width. I'm guessing both are Handspun wheels?

Hub wise, both hubs have a 16 poe freehub body. Both are cup/cone bearing systems.

Frankly the choice seems like a choice between rims more than the hubs. Are you riding XC and easy on rims. Or are you riding lots of log crossings, drops, etc?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    I have a X470 rim that has been a good XC choice. The Alex DP20 appears to be more of a trail/am rim with a 27mm width. I'm guessing both are Handspun wheels?

Hub wise, both hubs have a 16 poe freehub body. Both are cup/cone bearing systems.

Frankly the choice seems like a choice between rims more than the hubs. Are you riding XC and easy on rims. Or are you riding lots of log crossings, drops, etc?

yeah, both are handspun. i had thought that the shimano wheels had more poe than the sram, though i couldnt recall the numbers. i might be wrong. also, i think the shimanos flanges are supposed to be built with 29ers in mind. i dont know if theres any real advantage from the shimano flanges, but i also dont know how much of a difference it would make for the kind of riding i would use them for.

which i didnt mention cause i thought it might limit the advice i would get--but looks like there werent a whole lot of people with advice anyway. maybe i shoulda posted in the 29er forum since the shimanos have those flanges. anyway, i was thinking of using the wheels for a commuter, and didnt want to hear that therefore almost any wheel would pretty much do the job. i did want to be able to ride the occasional trail with these, and in any case, i would like to get the better wheels.

so yeah, it might come down to a choice between rims. ive heard mixed things about the x470s, but i tend to think of dt swiss as generally making higher quality stuff than alex. all hearsay though, since i have ridden neither. since i will probably have drop bars and nothing bigger than 35mm cross tires, the lighter rims are probably preferable. i didnt realize the dp20s were so wide. thanks for the comments; makes me lean towards the x470s.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn View Post
    yeah, both are handspun. i had thought that the shimano wheels had more poe than the sram, though i couldnt recall the numbers. i might be wrong. also, i think the shimanos flanges are supposed to be built with 29ers in mind. i dont know if theres any real advantage from the shimano flanges, but i also dont know how much of a difference it would make for the kind of riding i would use them for.

which i didnt mention cause i thought it might limit the advice i would get--but looks like there werent a whole lot of people with advice anyway. maybe i shoulda posted in the 29er forum since the shimanos have those flanges. anyway, i was thinking of using the wheels for a commuter, and didnt want to hear that therefore almost any wheel would pretty much do the job. i did want to be able to ride the occasional trail with these, and in any case, i would like to get the better wheels.

so yeah, it might come down to a choice between rims. ive heard mixed things about the x470s, but i tend to think of dt swiss as generally making higher quality stuff than alex. all hearsay though, since i have ridden neither. since i will probably have drop bars and nothing bigger than 35mm cross tires, the lighter rims are probably preferable. i didnt realize the dp20s were so wide. thanks for the comments; makes me lean towards the x470s.
    The M529 is only 16 poe, the M629 is 32 poe...Shimano doesn't make a 6 bolt hub with the "high" poe freehub body. Of course you could always either use an adapter or a centerlock rotor. I've got a X470 Handspun on a M665 (same freehub as M629) and it's been plenty durable on my singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just sold a set of wheels that had the SRAM 506 hubs and I had no issues with them. I mostly run all mountain with no major abuse except an occasional 2-3 ft. drop.