mtbr member

Shimano FH-M525 hubs vs. FH-M756 vs. Mavic FTS-L type hubs

What are some of the differences between Shimano FH-M525 hubs, FH-M756 hubs and Mavic FTS-L type hubs used on their 2004 and newer wheel sets?

The Shimano Deore M525s do not rate very well while the XT M756 rates ok even though their parts look identical on their respective cut sheets from Shimano's home page. Do the XT's use better more durable materials?

I have been riding on a set of 2004 Mavic Crosslands for over two years without and problems other than the biyearly free wheel lube so I am satisfied with their durability. On the downside, any type of overhaul will require special bearing presses and the replacement of the expansible bearing supports behind the fork/lock nuts. The Shimano hubs on the other hand do not require any special tools or sealed bearings when it is time for an overhaul. Unfortunately, the Shimano free wheel is a throw-a-way unit, which can not be overhauled.

mtbr member
    In terms of durability and serviceability, what are some of the better front and rear hubs out there that won't break the bank?

mtbr member
    How are the DT Swiss Onyx front and rear hubs compared to Shimano XT FH-M756 hubs? The Bicycle Wheel warehouse has a set of Mavic 717 rims laced to DT Swiss Onyx hubs for $320.00 and a set of 717s laced to XT M756 hubs for $210.00. Are the Onyx hubs worth $110.00 more.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalton
    In terms of durability and serviceability, what are some of the better front and rear hubs out there that won't break the bank?
    Hope. Hands down. Check JC's tutorial on how to service bearigns on a Hope.

Get the XC hubs from Hope. They are their cheaper offer and have like three points of engagement more than Shimano.

DT Onyx are no better than Shimano and more expensive. Only difference is that they require less maintenance because they use sealed bearings instead of cone and ball like Shimano.

Shimano's are good stuff. Their freewheel may be throwaway, but costs peanuts. It can be serviced... there's a brand that I don't remember the name now, that sells a special syringe to purge and inject grease into a Shimano freehub. I think it's Buzzy's.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I vote for the XT over the ONYX. As long as you are prepared to service them periodically they will last for a long time. Apparently the new XT have faster engagement too than the older XT>

mtbr member
    The XT FH-M756 hubs are not only lighter then the Deore M-525 counterparts but also have higher grade ball bearings and truer/more precise axels according BWWH.

The Shimano design concerns me because the free wheel mechanism on the Deore FH-M525 hub on my other bike started to fail in under a year. I replaced the OEM wheels that came on my old 04 SJ FSR with a set of Mavic Crosslands, which have been problem free for about three now. My only complaint is that I can not install a wire bead tire on the rims and Kevlar bead tires are very hard to install when I change out an inner tube. The UST molded rim tape crimps easily and makes it virtual impossible to install any type of tubed tire and therefore was replaced with conventional rim tape soon after I purchased the wheels.

Does anybody know how a 04 Mavic Crosslands wheel set stacks up against a wheel set built with Mavic 717 Disc rims and Shimano XT FH-M756 hubs laced together with DT Swiss spokes? Which wheel set is more durable and service friendly? The Crosslands require special presses to replace thier bearings and the expandable bearingnuts behind the fork-lock nuts need to be replaced everytime the axel is pulled out.

Training for vacation
    I have older 7XX (756) series hubs on my ss/commuter and crosslands on my FS. I am not sure of the year of crosslands but they are the updated freehub design with the free hub with a SST pin for the pawls to pivot on, maybe a 05? On the crosslands i just knock out my bearings with a punch, maybe this is not a sustainable activity but i have not seen any damage in 2 years. The only one i cant get out is the free wheel's bearing so i dont bother. A full rebuild on either hub takes about the same time because I'm not too good on getting the cup/cone preload perfect on the first try. There is usually some trial and error in getting the perfect preload. On the crosslands it just takes some careful mallet work.

As the bikes are used for different purposes its hard to compare a crossland to the XT. Engagement feels about the same but I do more mashing on the FS than the SS. Service interval is similar as the mavic’s free hub needs to be cleaned and lubed in about the same interval as the cup cone bearings need to be checked.

The 717’s get good reviews but if you want to run large tires you may need a wider rim. Shimano free hubs are cheap and can be torn down to the nitty gritty. There is a pictorial on a LX free hub tear down on this site somewhere. Maybe i can dig up the link when i get home.

mtbr member
    The one thing I noticed between the OEM Speialized rear wheels with Mavic XM117 or DT Swiss X420 rims and Shimano M525 hubs is that hey ride a lot harsher than the Crosslands. I do not know if this is a function the spoke flange heights or the spoke count 24 vs. 32.