mtbr member

Seeking Sun-Ringle Black Flag Expert Owners.

I purchased a new wheelset. ďSun-Ringle Black Flag Expert. Stanís Ready.Ē
    Great wheels, but the tires Iím using are super-tight on the rims.
    Iím using tubeless Schwalbe Racing Ralph and Rocket Rons. These are so tight that I had to use steel tire-levers to mount them. This means if I have a catastrophic failure in the bush, Iím walking out. I couldnít just boot the cut, put a tube in, inflate and go.

Iím hoping itís just the Schwalbes that just donít work with these rims. If you own these rims, have you had the same experience, and what tires are you using?

ÖAlso, could it be because Iím using a tubeless tire on a non-tubeless rim?

mtbr member
    I had a set of the 29er version and ran Specialized Purgatory 2Bliss tires. They mounted fairly easy (though not as easy as my current WTB TCS rims). No metal tire levers needed.

The Stans BST rims are tighter than standard rims to help convert standard bead tires to tubeless.

I otherwise had few issues with the wheels. The freehub body bearings needed replacement after a year which was easy enough to do.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've ran the Black Flag pros (same rim different hub) with non tubeless Schwalbe Nobby Nics without any issue, in fact I could nearly mount them without levers. I found that UST Tioga Psycho genius and the 2Bliss Specialized S-Wrks Ground Control were quite a bit tougher to mount but not impossible.

Why don't you carry a couple of extra levers on your ride? The yellow pedros ones weigh next to nothing and are nearly indestructable.

mtbr member
    Carrying levers is a good suggestion but it would probably still not be enough. Seeing as I broke 2 Park Tool levers and used a C-clamp to mount the Schwalbes.
    I suspect the larger tubeless bead might be the problem. As suggested, I might try the non-tubeless Schwalbes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I know this will sound obvious, but just make sure to use some sealant and the non-tubeless Shwalbes should work fine on those rims. I never had a tire blow off the rim.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Crank Brothers Speedier Levers are great. It takes brute force and cursing.... my Arch EX + Specialized Renegade Control & The Captain Control have super tight beads.... and those levers I have found work best.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I had the same experience on the black flag expert with Conti X-king protection tires. I've since switched to Specialized Purgatory grid. It was a lot easier to mount.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jworx View Post
    I had the same experience on the black flag expert with Conti X-king protection tires. I've since switched to Specialized Purgatory grid. It was a lot easier to mount.

Was the Specialized a UST or Tubeless ready?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thatshowiroll View Post
    was the specialized a ust or tubeless ready?
    ust

mtbr member
    I'm having the same issues brand new Black Flag 26" and have tried 3 tires but cannot get the last 3-4 inches seated. I've never had this problem with any other rims.

mtbr member
    I ended up with a set of Maxxis Ikons as suggested here. Slips on with a little bit of resistance like a tire should, but not excessively tight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Common problem with Stan's and sun-ringles using the Stan's design.

Once your tire is on, the bead will stretch and be much easier to mount next time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

And yes, UST or tubeless- ready tires can be particularly hard to mount. They tend to have a beefier bead. I always use regular tires with my Stan's wheelset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spillway View Post

once your tire is on, the bead will stretch and be much easier to mount next time.
    Bead may stretch, but not enough.

mtbr member
    I've spent 2 nights and about ready to throw them in the trash. At this point is it possible to pull out the yellow strip and run with a tube?

mtbr member
    Yes, you can run a tube. I've got tubes in right now because I haven't had the time to set up tubeless.

...but, like we learned in this thread, consider switching tires.

mtbr member
    I'm really regretting buying these wheels, if I'm having this problem in my house what's going to happen if I get a flat in the woods? I wasn't expecting to be limited on tire choices and not feeling like dropping an extra $100 with the hopes the Maxxis fit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoVA_JB View Post
    I'm really regretting buying these wheels, if I'm having this problem in my house what's going to happen if I get a flat in the woods? I wasn't expecting to be limited on tire choices and not feeling like dropping an extra $100 with the hopes the Maxxis fit.
    My new Ikons were easy to slip over the rim, and were easy to set up for tubeless. Thanks MTBR friends.

Seeking Sun-Ringle Black Flag Expert Owners.-scalp1.jpg

mtbr member
    I finally picked up some Schwalbe Hans Dampf tires that fit like a charm. One question are the freewheels supposed to have such a loud ticking when coasting? I'm assuming it's the pawl spring I've just never had one so loud before.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=. One question are the freewheels supposed to have such a loud ticking when coasting?[/QUOTE]

Yup! I love that sound. You don't have to yell, "on your left". :-D